VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 09:51:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hope Dooley hits Miles in the mouth.  (Read 7608 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2011, 12:52:23 EDT »

!@#$%
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 12:56:59 EDT »

I know a lot of people don't consider it a big deal, but I consider it bush league for a coach to tack on a touchdown with 90 seconds left, a sizable lead and a first down. Shows a lack of class, IMO. If you're up by 4 scores and you can run out the clock by taking a knee, you do it.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 01:08:01 EDT »

It's the age we live in.  "Doing the right thing" is a thing of the past.

I will say its not like he chucked it for the end zone.  It was a play that took an embarrassing attempted tackle for them to score.  I guess what I'm saying is I was more upset by our poor performance there than the play call.  But it's certainly likely they throw for the end zone on the next play anyway.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:24:10 EDT »

The part that bothers me was the starters were still in there and if he wasnt trying to score they would ran it into the line on 4th down. It was bush league all the way and I lost respect for Les.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 01:46:34 EDT »

You mean you HAD respect for Les?  It didn't surprise me at all.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:59:18 EDT »

You have to be able to stop it, and we did not.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:19:26 EDT »

It ain't Miles' job to keep LSU from scoring. If he had kicked a FG on fourth down would it have been any better?
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 11:03:43 EDT »

It ain't Miles' job to keep LSU from scoring. If he had kicked a FG on fourth down would it have been any better?

Nope. That last score came while LSU starters were on the field.  That was the bush league part. Why is that so hard to understand? If it had been backups I would never had said a word.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 04:08:38 EDT »

It wasn't fourth down. It was first down. He could have and should have taken a knee and ran out the clock. The "we should have stopped them" excuses don't fly with me. There are lots of things we should've done in that game that we shouldn't have done. It's up to the opposing coach to have class enough to call off the dogs.

I'm just not a fan of it. Never have been and never will be. I've griped when UT has been the guilty party in the past.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 04:11:49 EDT »

The offense has a job to do score........................................
The defense has a job to stop them.....................................It's just football to me................nothing wrong there, except our inability to tackle

Go Big Orange.
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 04:47:13 EDT »

It wasn't fourth down. It was first down. He could have and should have taken a knee and ran out the clock. The "we should have stopped them" excuses don't fly with me. There are lots of things we should've done in that game that we shouldn't have done. It's up to the opposing coach to have class enough to call off the dogs.

I'm just not a fan of it. Never have been and never will be. I've griped when UT has been the guilty party in the past.

Full disclosure: I didn't get to watch the game. My niece got married yesterday. When I saw this thread, I looked at the play-by-play on the ESPN box score, and according to it the TD came on a fourth down play, so if I got that wrong, I apologize. But the box score also said that LSU got the ball with 7:43 left and had a 10 play drive, all rushing plays. If we can't stop them when they're just running the ball into the line, I just can't get that much anger worked up.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 09:00:43 EDT »

The last score was on 4th down.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 12:48:47 EDT »

If the roles had been reversed and we could take a knee, or let a 2nd or 3rd teamer run one in, I would have run the play too.

Go Big Orange.
TheRealOrange
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 01:04:30 EDT »

If the roles had been reversed and we could take a knee, or let a 2nd or 3rd teamer run one in, I would have run the play too.

I didn't see the play, but according to the play-by-play summary, it was not a run and it was not 2nd or 3rd teamers involved.  The summary indicates that its was 4th down and 4 yards to go from the 14 yard line, and reads, "Jarrett Lee pass complete to Russell Shepard for 14 yards to the UT0, 1ST DOWN LS, TOUCHDOWN, clock 01:35."  Lee (QB) and Shepard (WR) are both starters, and it appears to have been a pass play.  Is the summary incorrect?  Like I said, I did not see the play, having watched only about 10-15 plays total for the whole game (only 1 in the second half), so I really don't know.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 01:44:44 EDT »

Had we tackled the guy short of the end zone, it's possible they would then take a knee.  As it was, being 4th down, if they turn it over there is still time left.  We had a 9 yard difference between the first down marker and the end zone in which to tackle the guy and perhaps end the game right there.  We did not manage to tackle him.  If you give up a 13 or 14 yard pass play on 4th and 4, then IMO you deserve what you get.

Was Miles classless?  Yes.  Beyond the shadow of a doubt.  But I am upset at our D for not stopping it.  No excuse for that.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 02:16:35 EDT »

I didn't see the play, but according to the play-by-play summary, it was not a run and it was not 2nd or 3rd teamers involved.  The summary indicates that its was 4th down and 4 yards to go from the 14 yard line, and reads, "Jarrett Lee pass complete to Russell Shepard for 14 yards to the UT0, 1ST DOWN LS, TOUCHDOWN, clock 01:35."  Lee (QB) and Shepard (WR) are both starters, and it appears to have been a pass play.  Is the summary incorrect?  Like I said, I did not see the play, having watched only about 10-15 plays total for the whole game (only 1 in the second half), so I really don't know.

Correct, it was a 4th down and it was a WR screen pass to the right.  I've heard such a play described as a glorified running play, nevertheless he should've been tackled.  And might I also add that this play happened in the end zone right in front of me.  Surprise, surprise.. our secondary was barking at each other trying to figure out who's lined up where.  LSU had two WR's split to the right.  Dad says to me "we have nobody on the slot receiver" and just before the ball is snapped our DB darts over there to get on him.  Lee throws the screen to the inside guy so you have one WR blocking and two DB's to make the tackle.  Their wideout easily blocks the corner and our other DB whifs, never even getting close to bringing Shepard down.

So like I said, our screwups on that play annoy me much more than their playcall.  That play usually is good for 4-5 yards and the guy is tackled.  We fizzled up, they scored.  It's on us.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 02:25:59 EDT »

Well, I just assumed that it was a run with the back-ups running a play.......................................throwing the ball with the starters in is a bit much, but we should've made a tackle.

On a side note you bank that one away and repay the favor when we get a chance to  
I would normally hope we just run the ball in that situation with the 2nd/3rd teamers, but consider the source.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:28:22 EDT by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 02:37:04 EDT »

Why did they have to have the ball to run out the clock? They could have ran it just like they did every other play on that drive.

We should have stopped the play and that is on our guys. That does not change the fact that Les had his starters in the game and threw the ball trying to score. If did not want to run it up the backups would have been in the game.

Again if it had been back ups in the game I would not care what they did.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 02:49:01 EDT »

Again if it had been back ups in the game I would not care what they did.

I'm with you there, having their starters in the game doesn't make any sense.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 07:32:31 EDT »

Agree about the starters.  That is classless, but I refuse to let it upset me for just that reason.

It gives us one more thing to pay back on LSU, which we can add to a long list going back to 2001.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: