VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 05:21:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm going to rant a little  (Read 15168 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 02:24:48 EDT »

As I told Emeril last night, if we ever do make it to the top again, our fans (especially the younger ones) are going to be the most profane and obnoxious in America.  Think UF fans circa 1990.  Most UT students were just 6-7 years old the last time we fielded a nationally competitive football team, and if we get to that level again, they're going to be ready to release some frustrations. 

FWIW, the LSU fans in our section weren't nearly as magnanimous as they apparently were around you.  I even told one guy that if he wanted to get out of Knoxville alive, he'd be well-advised to STFU.  And this wasn't some kid, this guy was at least 45 years old.

Actually, the most vitriol I was exposed to in my section was UT fans bickering back and forth.  This was in the 2nd quarter mind you, and I literally thought they were going to come to blows.  And I still can't tell you what they were arguing about.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 07:37:38 EDT »

I look at the VS and see them bemoaning their fate and they are probably right to do so... But they beat us easily. Think about that.

They beat us easily with Brantley.  Had he stayed uninjured, they would have a much better record now, which is to say they would not be doing all the moaning.  Or at least not as much.

/rant

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 07:43:45 EDT »

Somewhere above is a comment that we were "out-motivated, out-prepared, and out-coached" in the second half.

We may have been out-coached, but I saw no lack of motivation in our players, just a lack of talent and depth.  LSU simply wore us out.   As for lack of preparation, I don't think you can attribute that to the 2nd half.  By then you should be adjusting to whatever you did or did not prepare for.  We held LSU pretty well in the first half, just made some dumb mistakes.  Holding that lead at halftime, getting the ball back first, and then being able to put on that 8-minute drive to start the half, well at 24-7 it was pretty much over. 

That's just what it is.   I don't blame the staff.  On the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised by the first half, with the excpetion of the two int's.

We may well lack fundamentals as others have said...I don't really pay much attention to that, and probably would not know what to look for anyway.  I do know this....I mostly liked what I saw in the first half.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 02:12:50 EDT »

What we do for a half doesn't bring me any satisfaction.

Part of preparation is adjusting and reacting to what they're doing.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 03:23:31 EDT »

And another thing that leaves me irritated walking out of Neyland... is opposing fans don't even act like it's a big deal when they win there anymore. 

That's cause it's not

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 07:27:23 EDT »

What we do for a half doesn't bring me any satisfaction.

Part of preparation is adjusting and reacting to what they're doing.

No one is happy with one half of good play.  We need the full game.  It will take time to build that depth.

I see preparation and adjustments as almost the opposite of each other and we looked pretty well-prepared to me.  Then did our adjustments suck or did we just get worn down?  I say the latter, but we can agree to disagree.

The exception was Simms.  He was most definitely NOT prepared!  In fact, I am going to go out on a limb and state that he has probably been bird-dogging it a bit.    My optimistic side says he might be able to work hard in practice, hit the film room hard (like 24x7!), and perhaps achieve competance.   QB is IMO the one spot where some hard work practice and intense coaching can pay off in the next few weeks.  I guess we'll find out.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 08:04:59 EDT »

Yeah, I really expected Simms to play better too.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 09:06:06 EDT »

Yeah, I really expected Simms to play better too.

I don't see any reason to expect it. He has never demonstrated that he is a very good QB. If he continues his poor play, and I expect he will, I'd like to see Worley get his chance vs SC.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 09:24:05 EDT »

While ineffective, I thought he played better last year than he did on Sat.  Dumb me thought that he might've even improved after a year.
Quasi EVol
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 08:58:50 EDT »

Actually, the most vitriol I was exposed to in my section was UT fans bickering back and forth.  This was in the 2nd quarter mind you, and I literally thought they were going to come to blows.  And I still can't tell you what they were arguing about.   

Well, at least you got to meet a bunch of VTTW posters during the game! 
tngamecock
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 03:09:12 EDT »

I don't see any reason to expect it. He has never demonstrated that he is a very good QB. If he continues his poor play, and I expect he will, I'd like to see Worley get his chance vs SC.

Why would you burn Worley's red shirt year now?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2011, 03:29:16 EDT »

Why would you burn Worley's red shirt year now?
Is the object of playing the games still to win?
If so, then if the staff feels Worley is our best shot that is not even a question

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
tngamecock
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 06:39:39 EDT »

Is the object of playing the games still to win?
If so, then if the staff feels Worley is our best shot that is not even a question

I guess it is a tough call.  You've got 6 games left (maybe 7), so if he gives you the best chance, I probably would do it too.  It's a tough call, Simms has experience and a nice arm.  Dooley is building for the future, and having the kid 4 more years instead of 3 might be worth taking a few lumps this year.  But injuries change things I guess.  We're down to the guy who was 4th on the roster at RB now, but he actually was playing more and more each week anyway.  SC wanted to red shirt him, but he's now the guy so you have to do what you have to do.  Question, if Simms gets hurt, who is listed as the backup at UT now?  Is it Worley?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 01:30:24 EDT »

I guess it is a tough call.  You've got 6 games left (maybe 7), so if he gives you the best chance, I probably would do it too.  It's a tough call, Simms has experience and a nice arm.  Dooley is building for the future, and having the kid 4 more years instead of 3 might be worth taking a few lumps this year.  But injuries change things I guess.  We're down to the guy who was 4th on the roster at RB now, but he actually was playing more and more each week anyway.  SC wanted to red shirt him, but he's now the guy so you have to do what you have to do.  Question, if Simms gets hurt, who is listed as the backup at UT now?  Is it Worley?

Yes Worley is the backup to Simms.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2011, 02:39:29 EDT »

Question, if Simms gets hurt, who is listed as the backup at UT now?  Is it Worley?
Yep, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: