VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 01:37:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHat if Dooley is our  (Read 5302 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2011, 05:13:34 EDT »

Mike Shula? I really like what Dooley is doing with the program but what if all he can manage is 8-4 to 9-3 over the next 5 or 6 years?

You know Bama stayed down for awhile from self inflicted wounds. Would we ever spend the coin on an established head coach?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:23:53 EDT »

That only works if there is a Saban to follow.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 04:47:58 EDT »

I don't recall what kind of talent drop off Shula inherited to start his tenure at Bama but for Dooley, I am holding judgement until next year at the earliest.  If the results are the same once we have adequate depth and experience across the board, then he has to answer for that.
IvoryTusk
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:33:16 EDT »

Shula inherited a roster thin on depth, however he recruited well (Croyle, Prothro, Ryans, among others).  He was never a good game day coach, and he treated the players like grown men, without structure or discipline - as if they were NFL players. 
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 06:29:30 EDT »

What if Dooley is our modern-day Gen. Neyland?

With respect, I think it's pointless for UT fans to speculate at this point whether Dooley is or isn't the guy. There's simply no way to know at this point whether he will succeed.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 06:40:19 EDT »

What if Dooley is our modern-day Gen. Neyland?

With respect, I think it's pointless for UT fans to speculate at this point whether Dooley is or isn't the guy. There's simply no way to know at this point whether he will succeed.

With respect to your respect that is what fans do.....speculate. I do understand what you are saying though. I was just thinking back to how long bama stayed down and wondered if we were on a similar road back?
IvoryTusk
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:49:05 EDT »

Its probably not my place to chime in on this thread, but since you're comparing your situation to that of Bama's a few years ago - thought I'd toss a thought in for what its worth.  There are only a couple of posters on this board (who know me) that will believe this statement, but its true - my heart goes out to you guys.  Seriously - its a hard thing to suffer through seasons like this when you're a die hard fan.  It compounds the problem when you don't think you see any light at the end of the tunnel either.

Two good recruiting classes can change everything though.  You've got 22 good players.  You're just thin on depth, and experience in certain positions.  Experience will take care of itself.  Recruiting will help with the depth.  If Dooley can put together a couple of top 10 classes - to go along with any blue chip red shirts that may come off next year - I don't think you guys are more than a couple of years away from winning the East again. JMT.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:11:55 EDT »

Its probably not my place to chime in on this thread, but since you're comparing your situation to that of Bama's a few years ago - thought I'd toss a thought in for what its worth.  There are only a couple of posters on this board (who know me) that will believe this statement, but its true - my heart goes out to you guys.  Seriously - its a hard thing to suffer through seasons like this when you're a die hard fan.  It compounds the problem when you don't think you see any light at the end of the tunnel either.

Two good recruiting classes can change everything though.  You've got 22 good players.  You're just thin on depth, and experience in certain positions.  Experience will take care of itself.  Recruiting will help with the depth.  If Dooley can put together a couple of top 10 classes - to go along with any blue chip red shirts that may come off next year - I don't think you guys are more than a couple of years away from winning the East again. JMT.

Thanks Tusk it is hard to go through what we are doing as I know you went through your down periods with Shula and the Dubosinator.....

I think the hardest part is the ones that are suffering the most remember when we were going great guns and were ranked and were staying in games......

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 04:10:27 EDT »

Appreciate the thoughts IT, but we are gonna beat your butt Saturday anyway.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 08:33:49 EDT »

Appreciate the thoughts IT, but we are gonna beat your butt Saturday anyway.

Really appreciate posts like the above after reading some of the "we have no chance" posts and the future may be bleak stuff.    

Cuss us, hate us, and say We WILL BE Back!

Tusk is right (I do know him, and he means what he says), and we have been there and done that. You'll be back since the past is always the best predictor for the future. No doubt in my mine. And you DO have a chance this week. Anything can happen in this series and has over the years.

BG
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:46:37 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 02:14:03 EDT »

Yoda and Saban is our Darth Vader.  Wait, Saban is Darth Vader.  Sometimes when Dooley is going through one of his stories to make some obscure point, I swear I start hearing Yoda's voice.  Don't say I need to see a therapist, because mine retired rather than keep seeing me.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 07:55:41 EDT »

8-4 to 9-3 over the next 5 or 6 years

Hell, I would be very happy with that right now....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: