VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 06:31:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things I want to see moving forward  (Read 5776 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:31:27 EDT »

I know we're outmanned vs Teams like Bama and Arky, but I'd like to see ...

- Someone take over Teague's spot. He's proving to be a liability at CB
- More Arnett, less Zach Rogers.
- If Simms continues his crappy play (seriously, he is not seeing wide open guys), play Worley. He may not do better, but why keep throwing a guy out there who isn't getting it done? Play the guy who will need experience for the future.
- We need to look at moving Stone to Guard if he continues these ridiculous snaps
- Better in game adjustments. We seem to be getting outcoached in the second half.
- More Marlin Lane and Devrin Young
- Use Rivera. We totally did not use him like we should have vs LSU
- Do we have a kicker who isn't going to make a PAT an adventure? Seriously, what is up with the kickers the past 2 years?
- Use that bunch formation more.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:02:57 EDT »

Wagner replaced Teague for the 2nd half Saturday (spelled by Gordan) with Randolph full time at FS

I would agree except Arnett is still apparently limited in route running.  He is STILL running the same limited selection of routes he ran in the UF game

- If Simms continues his crappy play (seriously, he is not seeing wide open guys), play Worley. He may not do better, but why keep throwing a guy out there who isn't getting it done? Play the guy who will need experience for the future.
I agree - I was thinking (hoping) we might even get to the same situation in the USCe game as we did last year ...

- We need to look at moving Stone to Guard if he continues these ridiculous snaps
He seemed to snap better Saturday - the problem is his replacement leads the team in whiffs this year

- Better in game adjustments. We seem to be getting outcoached in the second half.
I agree with regards to defense, not as much on the offensive side - Simms lack of apparent ability limited us Saturday

- More Marlin Lane and Devrin Young
Agree 100%  Young is still limited in his knowledge of the offense but there was a concerted effort to get him more involved in the offense Saturday

- Use Rivera. We totally did not use him like we should have vs LSU
That was a Simms issue, not a Channey isssue - Simms apparently could only see two receivers all day

- Do we have a kicker who isn't going to make a PAT an adventure? Seriously, what is up with the kickers the past 2 years?
Apparently not

- Use that bunch formation more.
We used it about 1/3 the game Saturday

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:53:37 EDT »

Arnett is limited in route running, but Zach's really limited in ability to catch the ball.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:56:13 EDT »

I just don't see the rationale in burning Worley's redshirt if Simms is able to play.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:59:59 EDT »

if Simms is able to play.

well, that's just it...if he continues to play like he did vs LSU, I say burn it and see what Worley can do. We can still salvage a bowl season. That would be a positive thing for the guys, the season, and recruiting.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:13:25 EDT »

well, that's just it...if he continues to play like he did vs LSU, I say burn it and see what Worley can do. We can still salvage a bowl season. That would be a positive thing for the guys, the season, and recruiting.

I meant physically able to play.

This is not the same situation as last year... Tyler was outplaying Simms in practice and we were looking for a QB for this year. Tyler will be back next year.

If they put him out there, I trust them on that, but I've heard nothing that makes me think Worley is pushing for that chance. I don't think he's ready. I think you only burn the redshirt if he clearly gives them a better chance to win.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:22:31 EDT »

I meant physically able to play.

This is not the same situation as last year... Tyler was outplaying Simms in practice and we were looking for a QB for this year. Tyler will be back next year.

If they put him out there, I trust them on that, but I've heard nothing that makes me think Worley is pushing for that chance. I don't think he's ready. I think you only burn the redshirt if he clearly gives them a better chance to win.
I understand you point but a counter
One of the issues with Fulmer was the B/U never got snaps resulting in kaos when the B/U had to play due to injury or when the starter left.  For better or worse, at the moment Worley is the B/U and I believe he needs some snaps to preclude the situation UF found themselves in two straight games.  Simms may know the offense but his passing skills have degraded into pre uga Crompton territory.  Knowing the offense is good but not being able to execute it is a totally different matter and THAT is what we witnessed Saturday.  My view is Worley can't be worse and we might be pleasently surprised.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:24:50 EDT »

I understand you point but a counter
One of the issues with Fulmer was the B/U never got snaps resulting in kaos when the B/U had to play due to injury or when the starter left.  For better or worse, at the moment Worley is the B/U and I believe he needs some snaps to preclude the situation UF found themselves in two straight games.  Simms may know the offense but his passing skills have degraded into pre uga Crompton territory.  Knowing the offense is good but not being able to execute it is a totally different matter and THAT is what we witnessed Saturday.  My view is Worley can't be worse and we might be pleasently surprised.

I disagree because you can just as easily get him those snaps next year when Tyler is back. Also think about how different our 2000 team would've been if Tee doesn't get his redshirt burned in '96 over a few meaningless plays in a blowout.

If the coaches think he is better I am sure they will put him out there but I don't think you change just to play the young guy unless you KNOW he is better.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:28:24 EDT »

I disagree because you can just as easily get him those snaps next year when Tyler is back. Also think about how different our 2000 team would've been if Tee doesn't get his redshirt burned in '96 over a few meaningless plays in a blowout.

If the coaches think he is better I am sure they will put him out there but I don't think you change just to play the young guy unless you KNOW he is better.
I just don't like the "good" passes of Simms equaling the number of "bad" passes of Bray
We cannot beat candy with the level of QB play I observed Saturday.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:06 EDT »

Arnett is limited in route running, but Zach's really limited in ability to catch the ball.

True dat BUT the reason he was interfered with Saturday was a) he ran the sam out/in route has has been running for three games now and the defender was sitting on it AND b) Simms delivered the ball late, again.

Question - Dallas has played (I believe) in every game, but is rarely thrown to and he is more, on paper, a replacement for Zack.  Why is Dallas not having passes thrown to him?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 09:40:18 EDT »

True dat BUT the reason he was interfered with Saturday was a) he ran the sam out/in route has has been running for three games now and the defender was sitting on it AND b) Simms delivered the ball late, again.

Question - Dallas has played (I believe) in every game, but is rarely thrown to and he is more, on paper, a replacement for Zack.  Why is Dallas not having passes thrown to him?

Good question. Dallas has one catch all year I think. I expected he would do more, especially when Hunter went down
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 09:42:48 EDT »

I just don't like the "good" passes of Simms equaling the number of "bad" passes of Bray
We cannot beat candy with the level of QB play I observed Saturday.

I thought that Simms would improve and give us a chance to win the 3 weakest teams left on our schedule.  He is just not college QB material at all.  I did not think we should use Worley, but then i saw Simms play........................... , If we want to win any games left until Bray gets back we will have to play him.  The coaches can help him call adjustments like they are doing for everyone else.  Worley was sharp in the O/W game....................and yeah I know it's a scrimmage game, but he has the pocket presence, the arm, and can check off/process info quickly.......................bring him in late against BAMA.

The backup will need experience........................Bray could get hurt anytime this year again, or next year early???????
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:49:34 EDT by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 09:47:07 EDT »

Oh yeah, and for God's sake replace Zach Rogers.........................speed, but horrible footwork and hands.

Go Big Orange.
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 10:06:43 EDT »

The one thing I want to see moving forward:

The offensive line.

Wherever you go, there you are.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 10:47:07 EDT »

The one thing I want to see moving forward:

Much less orange on the uniforms. Much Less.

BG 'Just a suggestion' Harper ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: