VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 07:39:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's starting to get frustrating around here.  (Read 3184 times)
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2011, 06:29:06 EDT »

Sooooo many complaints.  No coaching improvements, no new schemes to stop the opponents, what if Dooley can't coach, Etc. etc. etc.  So much witching and crying is really starting to get on my nerves.  I just want to know how many of the gloomy legion here predicted 9 - 11 wins this year?  I told you then you had your head in the clouds...That you were thinking with your heart and not your brain.  It's time to show a little backbone here and be a little supportive.

Has anyone here ever played chess?  If you do, then you know that when you get down to only a rook and a king, options become extremely limited.  This is close to what we have on our football team right now.  We don't have any play-makers.  About the only way we can win is to make no mistakes and hope the other team does.  Florida, Georgia and LSU didn't make any serious mistakes.
We can't hope to start winning until we can match up on talent.  Our best defensive player is Jackson at DT.  He goes about 275.  We're about to play a bama team that will have LB's that go about 260.  They have all the cards in experience, talent, depth, speed, coaching, home field, etc.  Yes, we have a chance to win, but we need to be realistic of just what those chances are.

I know folks are frustrated, but the coaching is fine and things are getting better.  But be aware that he competition we are playing is at the top of the chart and that any improvements may be overshadowed by the rise in the competition level.  I am about 75% certain that we will have played the next national champion after this Saturday. 

Lets all just back away from the edge of the cliff right now and take a deep breath.  Things are getting better.  Look for bright spots in the game.  The climb to the top is a long one.

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:42:49 EDT »

Sooooo many complaints.  No coaching improvements, no new schemes to stop the opponents, what if Dooley can't coach, Etc. etc. etc.  So much witching and crying is really starting to get on my nerves.  I just want to know how many of the gloomy legion here predicted 9 - 11 wins this year?  I told you then you had your head in the clouds...That you were thinking with your heart and not your brain.  It's time to show a little backbone here and be a little supportive.

Has anyone here ever played chess?  If you do, then you know that when you get down to only a rook and a king, options become extremely limited.  This is close to what we have on our football team right now.  We don't have any play-makers.  About the only way we can win is to make no mistakes and hope the other team does.  Florida, Georgia and LSU didn't make any serious mistakes.
We can't hope to start winning until we can match up on talent.  Our best defensive player is Jackson at DT.  He goes about 275.  We're about to play a bama team that will have LB's that go about 260.  They have all the cards in experience, talent, depth, speed, coaching, home field, etc.  Yes, we have a chance to win, but we need to be realistic of just what those chances are.

I know folks are frustrated, but the coaching is fine and things are getting better.  But be aware that he competition we are playing is at the top of the chart and that any improvements may be overshadowed by the rise in the competition level.  I am about 75% certain that we will have played the next national champion after this Saturday. 

Lets all just back away from the edge of the cliff right now and take a deep breath.  Things are getting better.  Look for bright spots in the game.  The climb to the top is a long one.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:47:00 EDT »

I said all along that our ceiling was 8-4 at best and 6-6 at worst. Injuries played a major role in what has happened lately. The gloom and doom for me comes from the constant beat down of everything that could go wrong does. Injuries, freak plays, penalties that cost us wins, etc. We have had our hearts ripped out more than any fan base in the last 2 or 3 years so if we lament a little bit about what has transpired I think it is to be expected.

That said I understand what you are driving at and I think most everyone will do their best to stay on that path. However even the best fans fall prey to disappointment at times.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:59:00 EDT »

I think most of us ARE looking for bright spots, and we are also being as patient with Dooley and Co. as is humanly possible. It really is okay to talk about negative things, even for loyal, dedicated, and generally optimistic fans.

I like Dooley and think he's the kind of guy that will do what it takes to bring the program back. But I, like several other posters here, have seen some troubling things when it comes to position coaching and technique. It could be that Dooley has to shake the staff up at some point-- who knows. And I'll repeat . . . there's nothing wrong with discussing these things.

I think you're seeing a combination of two things:

1) Genuine concern over a perceived lack of progress in certain specific areas, and as a result some expression of minor doubts in coaching.

2) People just being flat-out sick and fizzleing tired of everything going wrong for UT athletics. We may have a top-notch football staff and we may have a bright future, but they're having a hell of a time clearing away this nasty "black cloud," as ReVOLver called it, that seems to follow around and hang over all of UT athletics the last couple of years.

I think that lately 2) has led to more of 1) just because the general frustration level is up and we are getting pickier.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:23:36 EDT »

Well said, Clockwork. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:39:32 EDT »

I stopped reading here. Whatever the rest of your point was, you lost me when you implied that anybody who questions something lacks backbone, and I am SO over people using hindsight to build themselves up and talk others down about what was said months ago.

The board was created as a place to offer opinions and that's what is happening. Stop it already with the implication that anyone who complains about things lacks backbone or isn't supportive. The people here have been supportive through one of the most frustrating eras of UT history, just like you. 

Anybody who predicted 10 wins or more was truly thinking with their heart, but 9 wins as a ceiling wasn't a head in the clouds prediction if we stayed healthy and showed some improvement. Florida was beatable, Georgia was beatable, and South Carolina is beatable. Yes, we are young, and yes we have been decimated by injuries. That doesn't mean there aren't other frustrations. The jury is firmly out on our coaching staff, including the Head Coach, a man I desperately want to succeed.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:56:30 EDT »

BS, nothing is wrong with questioning  some of the coaching moves, we all know we lack talent, depth, and I don't think anyone here is calling for the firing of the coaches before they have a chance to recruit their guys and play with their guys. I called for 9 wins, I will admit that was a homer play, and I won't apologize for that, and I will support this team, but we as fans have to remain critical, and Dooley has a coach should evaluate his coaches every year....and I am sure he will, based on what happened with Chuck Smith.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: