VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 11:27:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK computer experts...I have to buy a new computer....  (Read 9156 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2011, 03:11:49 EDT »

This one is 9 years old and it's on it's last legs. I dread this because I have no idea what to get. I suppose I'll just get another Dell. This one has been reliable until now. But I need help in the specs.

Right now I have this: Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.4 GHz, 512 SDRAM and 80 GB hard drive. I assume that computers are much better now. 

I don't do any fancy stuff on the computer (desktop). I keep some pictures and records but use it mainly for internet.

I would need some ideas on what I should be looking for now in the modern age.

Your help would be appreciated.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:19:17 EDT »

A totally pimped out Mac Pro will run you about 18 grand.  That's pocket change for super rich folks like you.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:42:07 EDT »

You can't go wrong with what you posted.  For what you are doing, that should be fine.

I have a similar sitch.  My desktop is 7 years old.  I did get a new laptop earlier this year, but don't use it a whole lot yet.

I need to get around to installing the new cable modem and wireless router I finally bought about a month ago.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:43:21 EDT »

This one is 9 years old and it's on it's last legs. I dread this because I have no idea what to get. I suppose I'll just get another Dell. This one has been reliable until now. But I need help in the specs.

Right now I have this: Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.4 GHz, 512 SDRAM and 80 GB hard drive. I assume that computers are much better now. 

I don't do any fancy stuff on the computer (desktop). I keep some pictures and records but use it mainly for internet.

I just bought a bunch of these for the office and they are solid.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NPHVNM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Do you already have a good widescreen LCD monitor?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:58:39 EDT »

Get one with at least an Intel I5
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 05:05:11 EDT »

Get one with at least an Intel I5

If you're doing basically just Internet, an i5 is nice but not necessary. The Core 2 duo is enough.

Of course my work machine is a i7 with 16 GB of RAM and is overkill so I'm not one to talk.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 05:12:42 EDT »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NPHVNM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

One thing about these machines... they come with 2 GB of RAM... which is probably OK for the basic internet user... but I added 2 GB to each machine I bought for the office. Your office computer guy could do that for you if you bought the RAM.   This is the memory: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NA25VS

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 05:15:16 EDT »

Get at least an Intel i5 (or i7 if you can afford it) or AMD Quad core, Windows 7 Premium 64 bit, 6 or 8 GB DDR3 memory, go with separate video card with HDMI and/or DVI video output (512 MB min, 1GB memory better) and not integrated video, 1 TB hard drive, go all out with two DVD//CD writers.  Integrated audio is a lot better than it has been.  Even at Dell, you should get this for less than $600.

Do not be cheap when buying a computer.  You get what you pay for and a cheap computer is ...well... cheap.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 05:20:16 EDT »

Get at least an Intel i5 (or i7 if you can afford it) or AMD Quad core, Windows 7 Premium 64 bit, 6 or 8 GB DDR3 memory, go with separate video card with HDMI and/or DVI video output (512 MB min, 1GB memory better) and not integrated video, 1 TB hard drive, go all out with two DVD//CD writers.  Integrated audio is a lot better than it has been.  Even at Dell, you should get this for less than $600.

Do not be cheap when buying a computer.  You get what you pay for and a cheap computer is ...well... cheap.

That last line is absolutely not the case in today's computer market. Inexpensive does not equal cheap. The high end computer far exceeds the needs of the average user, especially one that lists the things that droner listed.

I have not seen any computers from HP or Dell that have the specs you list for less than $600 but maybe I haven't been looking in the right place. I bought something similar to that from Dell for my computer tech and paid $800 for the box.

droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 05:26:18 EDT »

I need a new monitor also. I'm thinking a whole new system. That's why it's easy with Dell. But I suppose I could order this and a monitor also. And adding anything is out of my league. We don't have a office computer guy. When we put in the new machines in the office a couple of years ago I hired a tech service to set it up. So whatever I buy has to have it all already installed. I wouldn't dare mess with any of that stuff. Plug and play is what I'm looking for.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 05:27:24 EDT »

A totally pimped out Mac Pro will run you about 18 grand.  That's pocket change for super rich folks like you.

That would wreck my wine and car budget.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 05:31:12 EDT »

Does this come with everything installed. meaning mainly Windows 7?
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 05:47:41 EDT »

That last line is absolutely not the case in today's computer market. Inexpensive does not equal cheap. The high end computer far exceeds the needs of the average user, especially one that lists the things that droner listed.

I have not seen any computers from HP or Dell that have the specs you list for less than $600 but maybe I haven't been looking in the right place. I bought something similar to that from Dell for my computer tech and paid $800 for the box.

I agree. Since the $400-$450 HP computers you pull off the shelf at Walmart are more than sufficient for most PC users, there's no point in going overboard if you aren't going to use it. Computers are the mobile homes of the electronics/tech world...as soon as you cut open the box, the price depreciates significantly. I had over $900 in an HP setup for my home office. When I decided to go back to a Mac at home, I tried to sell it. It was almost brand-new. I wound up taking $300 for it.

Ten years ago, it might have been wise to steer away from cheap. At least my experience was that Compaq and HP sucked. These days, anything I buy aside from Mac says HP on the front of it.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:40 EDT »

Does this come with everything installed. meaning mainly Windows 7?

It does come with Windows 7 installed. If you want more stuff preinstalled like Office, buy Dell.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 03:13:22 EDT »

A simple but significant recommendation I would make is a solid state drive for Windows and all your programs.

I realize your not building it yourself.. But surely Dell and HP have this option.

You'll be shocked at how much of a difference it makes not only in booting the machine but launching programs.  I'll never go back to a traditional hard drive as my boot drive.
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 03:39:22 EDT »

I have an Apple II e I'll let go cheap!!!!!!!

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 04:17:29 EDT »

A simple but significant recommendation I would make is a solid state drive for Windows and all your programs.

I realize your not building it yourself.. But surely Dell and HP have this option.

You'll be shocked at how much of a difference it makes not only in booting the machine but launching programs.  I'll never go back to a traditional hard drive as my boot drive.

HP is not as configurable as Dell but Dell does have SSDs for sure.

droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 05:12:37 EDT »

How about this one? http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops#!facets=135390~0~6687268&p=1

It's the one at the top. And I should ask for solid state drive?

I knew there was a reason I dreaded this. 
Quasi EVol
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 05:19:25 EDT »

You could get one of these at Wal-Mart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Dell-Inspiron-560/16878748
It's pretty reasonable price & if it's not in stock they'll ship it for free. I bullied my brother into buying one & he loves it (especially after hooking up his HDTV as his monitor, which is a bit much for Farmville ).
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 05:25:03 EDT »

How about this one? http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops#!facets=135390~0~6687268&p=1

It's the one at the top. And I should ask for solid state drive?

I knew there was a reason I dreaded this. 

Looks good, and to 73VolGrad's point, that meets the specs he listed for under $600. He was right about that because I was thinking "business" desktop, not home and there is a difference in the OS.

If you "personalize" it, you can add MS Office and a Monitor, but I didn't see a SSD drive as an option... maybe you can get it if you call them.

droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 05:30:38 EDT »

Looks good, and to 73VolGrad's point, that meets the specs he listed for under $600. He was right about that because I was thinking "business" desktop, not home and there is a difference in the OS.

If you "personalize" it, you can add MS Office and a Monitor, but I didn't see a SSD drive as an option... maybe you can get it if you call them.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. I can ask them about SSD but I assume that isn't absolutely necessary for a computer schlub like me.

Thanks for the help.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 05:34:25 EDT »

OK, now we're getting somewhere. I can ask them about SSD but I assume that isn't absolutely necessary for a computer schlub like me.

Thanks for the help.

It just makes things faster to boot and to access and they are less prone to fail than regular drives. That being said, you'd need a SSD for the OS and programs and then a regular drive for storage because you get a lot less SSD for the money than you do with a regular drive. That may be more than you want to deal with.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 07:39:01 EDT »

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the SSd that much.  It's definitely nice to have but it's not something worth going through a lot of trouble for given what you stated you use your computer for.

If it's easy to order, I say go for it.. But don't go through too much hassle.  It wasn't my intention to complicate your shopping ecperience.  :-)
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 07:58:53 EDT »

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the SSd that much.  It's definitely nice to have but it's not something worth going through a lot of trouble for given what you stated you use your computer for.

If it's easy to order, I say go for it.. But don't go through too much hassle.  It wasn't my intention to complicate your shopping ecperience.  :-)

You didn't make it any more complicated than it already was. I appreciate the input. All I want is to order it, get it, hook it up and go. I enjoy the car buying process. Not so much for computers. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: