VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 08:10:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It can't just be fatigue  (Read 6112 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:26:45 EDT »

This is . . . how many SEC games in a row that we've come out flat from halftime? What are we DOING in that locker room?

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 03:28:53 EDT »

In this case bammer clearly came out throwing and we failed to adjst

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 03:33:36 EDT »

I think theyre going in and having a ping pong tournament at the half.

They sure as shizzle arent doing any planning.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 03:35:31 EDT »

I think theyre going in and having a ping pong tournament at the half.

They sure as shizzle arent doing any planning.

I just can't figure it. Whatever we're doing at halftime clearly isn't helping shizzle. We have up 6 points in 30 minutes and then 14 points in 6 minutes. It's just awful.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 03:35:47 EDT »

I would guess lack of focus and leadership.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 03:40:14 EDT »

Make that 21 points in 11 minutes. No tackling. I'm over this shizzle. I know Alabama and LSU are really good teams but there's no excuse for playing about even for a half and then giving the fizzle game away in the third quarter every fizzleing time.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 03:42:13 EDT »

It appears that it never occurs to our staff that the opponent's staff is going to adjust to what we are doing.  "Keep it up guys" clapclapclap
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 05:12:11 EDT »

It appears that it never occurs to our staff that the opponent's staff is going to adjust to what we are doing.  "Keep it up guys" clapclapclap

I have to agree, though I think it was less of a factor vs. LSU and uga.  It was pretty much all about the adjustments tonight, unfortunately.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 06:20:29 EDT »

I really wanted to believe that our second half woes were due to our lack of depth. Telling myself that tired players aren't only affected physically, but mentally as well. I went so far as to defend the lack of adjustments to the lack of personnel to make those adjustments. I was lying to myself.

I love Derek Dooley, but I'm perplexed at our 2nd half play. It can't be fatigue....not starting immediately in the third quarter.

Here's what happened tonight....we had a good gameplan going in and it showed. We played well, keeping them out of the endzone and being the first to score on them in the second quarter. At the half, Saban peeled the paint off the walls of their locker room...and it wasn't just the players he was upset with. They made their adjustments.  We, on the other hand, apparently did what Vinnie suggested..."good going guys, keep it up," rather than being sensible about what adjustments needed to be made. As the tv guys mentioned, we committed to defending the run on first down in the first half and were successful. They adjusted...we did not....players were fresh enough...no excuses.

I'd really like to hear Dooley explain the philosophy of in-game adjustments by the staff.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 06:24:25 EDT »

I really wanted to believe that our second half woes were due to our lack of depth. Telling myself that tired players aren't only affected physically, but mentally as well. I went so far as to defend the lack of adjustments to the lack of personnel to make those adjustments. I was lying to myself.

I love Derek Dooley, but I'm perplexed at our 2nd half play. It can't be fatigue....not starting immediately in the third quarter.

Here's what happened tonight....we had a good gameplan going in and it showed. We played well, keeping them out of the endzone and being the first to score on them in the second quarter. At the half, Saban peeled the paint off the walls of their locker room...and it wasn't just the players he was upset with. They made their adjustments.  We, on the other hand, apparently did what Vinnie suggested..."good going guys, keep it up," rather than being sensible about what adjustments needed to be made. As the tv guys mentioned, we committed to defending the run on first down in the first half and were successful. They adjusted...we did not....players were fresh enough...no excuses.

I'd really like to hear Dooley explain the philosophy of in-game adjustments by the staff.

Agree on all points

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 07:08:49 EDT »

The problem with "adjustments" against teams with clearly superior talent is that they can exploit whatever "adjustments" you make.  If McCarron had been as accurate as usual in the first half, they would have dominated that half as much as the second half--he just missed several throws that let us stay in the game with our plan to try and limit what is clearly viewed as their strength--pound the ball. 

If we had a crystal ball and came out second half without stacking the box, all they do is run it down our throats rather than passing it over our heads--pick your poison. 

I thought we did a fantastic job of playing their strength--but they can adjust their strength, they have the athletes and depth to do that--we don't.  I don't think it is fatigue, I don't think it is emotion, I don't think it is motivation, I don't think it is coaching.  I think they are just that much better, faster, bigger, stronger.  Only one way to close that gap, and that is at least a couple of classes away.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 09:33:49 EDT »

The problem with "adjustments" against teams with clearly superior talent is that they can exploit whatever "adjustments" you make.  If McCarron had been as accurate as usual in the first half, they would have dominated that half as much as the second half--he just missed several throws that let us stay in the game with our plan to try and limit what is clearly viewed as their strength--pound the ball. 

I agree, but I refuse to accept that their offense is THAT MUCH better than our D.  I think our D has played really well at times this year.   The high scoring games against us were UF (WITH Brantley) and LSU.  UF got a short field several times, LSU wore us out with their massive OL and bruising RBs in the second half.

What happened against bammer is that they simply exploited us with the pass in the early part of the second half.  Sorry, McCarron is not that good of a QB and their WRs, while good, are not All Americans.  Our secondary may well suck, but it's clear from how we shut down their running game in the first half that we were stacking the box and that they exploited the shizzle out of this in the second half.

Yes, adjustments are tough and they can exploit it either way, but IMO we SHOULD have reacted to their OBVIOUS change in strategy at the start of the half.

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 11:02:04 EDT »

Then you refuse to accept the reality of our situation at UT. There's no doubt that Dooley has made mistakes but what happened last night could be seen coming from a mile away. Have you looked at Bama's roster? Ours is pitiful. It's a wonder the game was tied going into the half.

I'm all for giving Dooley hell when he deserves it. I'm still in the blame Kiffin and Fulmer mode. They are the ones who put us in this hole. If this crap continues and things are not much better by the end of next season, then it will be time to blame Dooley. Until then, the deck is stacked against him.

CW

I agree, but I refuse to accept that their offense is THAT MUCH better than our D. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 11:07:36 EDT »

well, we basically are good at game planning, but don't anticipate changes at the half and don't adjust well to them.

That, and losing Bray/Hunter really cripples our offense.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 11:15:24 EDT »

Then you refuse to accept the reality of our situation at UT. There's no doubt that Dooley has made mistakes but what happened last night could be seen coming from a mile away. Have you looked at Bama's roster? Ours is pitiful. It's a wonder the game was tied going into the half.

I'm all for giving Dooley hell when he deserves it. I'm still in the blame Kiffin and Fulmer mode. They are the ones who put us in this hole. If this crap continues and things are not much better by the end of next season, then it will be time to blame Dooley. Until then, the deck is stacked against him.

CW

I agree, but I refuse to accept that their offense is THAT MUCH better than our D. 

I'm not blaming him or throwing him under the bus, I just think maybe we could have not allowed their first two TDs  of the second half to be nothing but passes with no apparent attempt to adjust.  Bammers staff apparently spotted something and adjusted and we did not react in time.  It's not a systemic indictment of the coaching staff, but IMO it could have been better.

I actually like the job Dooley is doing.  For instance, in spite of the losses I think our running game has improved to "adequte" from "very shizzlety" in the two weeks since uga.

We had an obvious prolbem and I think the staff has shown progress in addressing it.  I and others think they might want to work on halftime adjustments a bit more.  We can agree to disagree on that, but  if we keep collapsing in the second half it might make you wonder.

But as I post elesehwere, I am done  talking about th e second half adjustments.  Time to move on

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 11:18:21 EDT »

I have no idea if Dooley is going to pan out. He might be nothing more than an average coach. I just can't bring myself to blame him much because of the situation we are in right now.

CW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: