VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 02:53:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I knew we'd hear plenty about a lack of halftime adjustments  (Read 3859 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:57:18 EDT »

There's some merit to that discussion, but IMO it's vastly overrated. It didn't matter what Tennessee "adjusted" against Alabama at halftime last night, they were going to get whipped in the second half. We were saying at halftime that it would be a totally different game in the second half. The ONLY reason the game was tied at halftime was because Alabama came out and took Tennessee for granted. Sure, Tennessee played well against the run...we have one of the best run defenses in the SEC. But we have to sell out to achieve that, and our DBs are not good enough to cover good receivers in 1-on-1 football. Sure, Tennessee ran the ball well in the first half...but it wasn't necessarily because the offensive line finally decided to play well. They looked better, but Poole was getting many, if not most, of his yards after contact. Alabama was not tackling like the Alabama team we've seen all season.

This is probably the best Alabama team I've ever seen. I thought so before the game and nothing that happened during the game changed my mind on that. They have a pretty decent QB who is extremely well-coached and has good receivers to throw to, and they have outstanding runningbacks. But the real strength of Alabama is in the trenches and on the defensive side of the football. Tennessee is not in the same class as Alabama. Neither, for that matter, is anyone else. There isn't a team in the country that will come within two touchdowns of this Alabama team.

It does suck to give up 31 points in the second half, but take away a failed 4th down conversion at the 30 (right call, btw, IMO) and an interception and who knows how much different it might turn out to be. The bottom line is that Tennessee does not have the tools to compete right now. A healthy UT team would be a different story. When Hunter was injured, the offense was hamstrung...but when Bray went down, the offense was chopped off at the knees. Simms does not give Tennessee a chance to compete in SEC play...he's a terrible quarterback who makes poor decisions in every situation. He misses open receivers, he throws late, he can't run a simple QB sneak effectively, he doesn't know how to throw the ball away and avoid the sack - even when he's manage to break containment and get to the sideline. With the passing game out the window, Tennessee becomes one-dimensional. And when you have an OL and RBs that have played like Tennessee's have played this year...well...

The secondary is perplexing to me. At one point, it was thought that this unit might be pretty good. Jackson's loss was big, but this secondary would've been weak even with him out there. Teague is not an SEC-caliber corner in any shape or form and it's amazing to me that he's still on the field.

Parts of this team look promising. In many other areas, it's clear to see that we're not nearly as far along as everyone had hoped we would be. Those who are bitching about Tennessee's coaching staff because we're getting outscored in the second half may have a point to a certain extent, but mostly they're expecting Dooley and his staff to use a pumpkin and a bunch of rats to take Cinderella to the ball.  
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:34:21 EDT »

It does suck to give up 31 points in the second half, but take away a failed 4th down conversion at the 30 (right call, btw, IMO) and an interception and who knows how much different it might turn out to be. The bottom line is that Tennessee does not have the tools to compete right now. A healthy UT team would be a different story. When Hunter was injured, the offense was hamstrung...but when Bray went down, the offense was chopped off at the knees. Simms does not give Tennessee a chance to compete in SEC play...he's a terrible quarterback who makes poor decisions in every situation. He misses open receivers, he throws late, he can't run a simple QB sneak effectively, he doesn't know how to throw the ball away and avoid the sack - even when he's manage to break containment and get to the sideline. With the passing game out the window, Tennessee becomes one-dimensional. And when you have an OL and RBs that have played like Tennessee's have played this year...well...

The secondary is perplexing to me. At one point, it was thought that this unit might be pretty good. Jackson's loss was big, but this secondary would've been weak even with him out there. Teague is not an SEC-caliber corner in any shape or form and it's amazing to me that he's still on the field.

Parts of this team look promising. In many other areas, it's clear to see that we're not nearly as far along as everyone had hoped we would be. Those who are bitching about Tennessee's coaching staff because we're getting outscored in the second half may have a point to a certain extent, but mostly they're expecting Dooley and his staff to use a pumpkin and a bunch of rats to take Cinderella to the ball.  
Tend to agree with all
The secondary:  The best secondary alignment IMO is LAnier and Wagner at the corners with Randolph at FS.  Randolph has really develped this year and last night (as much as I could tell from watching on TV) was his best game yet.  He actually helped out on deep passes and his run support the last two games has been very good.  Brewer and Teague have been the biggest disapointments this year.  Teague started off playing very well (he played very well against UF for example) but the uga game clearly cost him any confidence.  Brewer is playing about a 25% level compared to late last year, and I can' figure out why.  We heard a lot about Moore in tover the summer but he has been a complete no show.  Evans has disappeared the last few games.  Gordan appears to be the 5th DB.  Anothe DB who has disappeared is Coleman, who never lived up to the hype in games IMO.

I expect we will see Worley earlier against USCe, even in the 2nd quarter if Simms continues to struggle (he will).  The staff has apparently reached similar conclusions as many have that Simms isn't the answer and clearly want to see what the FR can do.  I don't expect to see Bray like performance against USCe but I hope he can at least hit a receiver when he is open and a receiver not named Da'Rick Rogers.

Speaking of receivers, the 2nd biggest disapointment after the secondary to me has been the receivers.  Zack can't catch, Arnett can't seem to run anything other than a 3 step out or in and Dallas has been non-existent he really isn't getting a lot of seperation).  Milton is a ghost you only see in pregame and Anderson is only used as a blocking WR.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 04:59:28 EDT »

The adjustment issue is a black and white issue, though. It doesn't really matter that we got smashed in the mouth....I'd be happier if we got smashed in the mouth after at least making adjustments.

Sure, Bama came alive in the second half, sure they are a vastly superior team. It prolly wouldn't have made much difference, but let us see some adjustments.

Actually, I may be speaking too soon, but I would guess that after watching the replay, we'll see that our defensive sets mimicked our first half sets.

I hope I'm wrong.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:12:38 EDT »

I refuse to believe that there was no gameplan for the second half that couldve made a difference for Tennessee.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 05:22:33 EDT »

I refuse to believe that there was no gameplan for the second half that couldve made a difference for Tennessee.

I disagree.  I'll give you an example:  On the QB TD they set up a play that put Maggitt on an island against the flow.  Maggitt made (IMO) the correct decision to follow the RB but that left noone to cover the QB.  Now I could state my belief that someobody was out of position but without looking at a replay I could not state who (though I have a suspicion).

Most of the early passes (with one big exception) were in the gap between the LB and DBs as we were playing a lot of zone.  The LBs were up at the LOS to stop Richardson and that left a gap to the DBs and bamer exploited it.  BTW, we were in the same basic defense earlier when A. Johnson made the pick but it was a passing situation.  When we went man they exploited it, see the long pass over Teague and the longish TD that Wagner actually covered very well but a great pass resulted in a TD (anything other than a perfectly thrown ball was incomplete or a pick). 

There was one play that gashed our left side DL that I want to see again as I suspect the old issue of both the DE and OLB crashing in hurt us again.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 05:28:52 EDT »

It's fine with me if you disagree.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 05:44:03 EDT »

There's some merit to that discussion, but IMO it's vastly overrated. It didn't matter what Tennessee "adjusted" against Alabama at halftime last night, they were going to get whipped in the second half. We were saying at halftime that it would be a totally different game in the second half. The ONLY reason the game was tied at halftime was because Alabama came out and took Tennessee for granted. Sure, Tennessee played well against the run...we have one of the best run defenses in the SEC. But we have to sell out to achieve that, and our DBs are not good enough to cover good receivers in 1-on-1 football. Sure, Tennessee ran the ball well in the first half...but it wasn't necessarily because the offensive line finally decided to play well. They looked better, but Poole was getting many, if not most, of his yards after contact. Alabama was not tackling like the Alabama team we've seen all season.

This is probably the best Alabama team I've ever seen. I thought so before the game and nothing that happened during the game changed my mind on that. They have a pretty decent QB who is extremely well-coached and has good receivers to throw to, and they have outstanding runningbacks. But the real strength of Alabama is in the trenches and on the defensive side of the football. Tennessee is not in the same class as Alabama. Neither, for that matter, is anyone else. There isn't a team in the country that will come within two touchdowns of this Alabama team.

Another thought:  These same folks who apparently can't make adjustments are the same ones who game plan very effectively in using our available tallent to keep us in the game for at least a half. 

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 08:22:13 EDT »

Another thought:  These same folks who apparently can't make adjustments are the same ones who game plan very effectively in using our available tallent to keep us in the game for at least a half. 

Exactly...................................................................we are subbing alot and have a great s/c program so the "they just got WORE OUT" doesn't hold water to start the 3rd quarter..................................................

Go Big Orange.
TheRealOrange
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 09:01:22 EDT »

Exactly...................................................................we are subbing alot and have a great s/c program so the "they just got WORE OUT" doesn't hold water to start the 3rd quarter..................................................

Yep, they were clearly not worn out.  They were simply out played by a far better team.  Had Bray and Hunter been healthy and playing, they still would have been beaten by a far better team.  I don't think there is a head coach in the country that could have beaten that bama team with that Vols team.  But, I am also not paid millions of dollars to be a head football coach for a very good reason.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 09:24:53 EDT »

I had these exact discussions with bammer fans this morning at church, and many of them are tide pride and really into it.   I claimed we got out-coached in the beginning of the second half.  They ponited out bammer's superior talent.  I'm like, sure, but where was that in the first half?  The same place...I think it's incredibly OBVIOUS that bammer adjusted and we did not.  Folks, they did not attempt a pass for what, the first 12 plays?  The first 15? (ESPN has not put up the play by play, which is frustrating me right now but oh well).

Yes we have a bad secondary, but it seems to me just so obvious that in the first half we sold out to stop the run and in the second half they exploited that.  We are bad enough that likely we don't stop them anyway, but if it was JUST talent and depth, I simply don't see them completing something like a dozen passes in a row to start the second half.  I just don't.

I attribute our breakdown in the second primarily to coaching and only secondarily to our lack of talent.  That's how I see it. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: