VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 11:05:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You are Coach Dooley; you just played a half at 6-6 with bama;...  (Read 6268 times)
TheRealOrange
« on: October 23, 2011, 06:27:22 EDT »

...what adjustments do you make at the half?  Why?

I am truly curious.  Isn't what you are doing working?  Why change it?  Also, how do you "adjust" for the unknown, i.e., how bama will change its game plan.  I didn't see the second half.  Did bama really change its game plan or did the players just play better?  It was obvous, even in the first half, that the Vols were over matched.  That's why things like the fake punt were needed, but stuff like that rarely works for very long.

Even with Bray and Hunter, I think the Vols would have lost to LSU and bama.  And, Bray got hurt late in the fourth quarter against Georgia, and the Vols were losing 20-6 when he left the game.  Perhaps we would have seen more progress and closer scores with Bray in the games, but I think the Vols would still be 3-4 right now.  I hate it that the Vols are this bad, but it's just the way it is.  They are simply not talented enough.  I disagree with a lot of Dooley's coaching decisions, but I do not think they have cost the Vols any games.  Perhaps the Georgia game was winnable, but the last two really weren't, not with the huge gaps in talent.  And, with Bray and Hunter out, the gap has been widened against teams better than the Vols and narrowed against the others.  Frustrating for sure.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 06:48:41 EDT »

Regardless of what people here believe about adjustment, it was not any coaching adjustment last night.  It was the effort that the Bama players gave in the second half that was the difference.  In the 1st half, the plays did not work because the QB was not accurate.  In the 2nd half, all the passes were on the money.  It seemed the 1st half, they forget Teague was on the field and did not throw his way much.  Do our safeties have assignments out there or are they supposed to free-lance and run around the field at all times to avoid contact?  We really need a DB coach that understands how to teach technique other than let the WR run by you and try to catch up.

It was not adjustments, it was execution.  When your players are that much better and decide to go out to whip the other team's butt, this is what happens.  It is not adjusting.  It is all about effort.  When this team can actually go out and play 4 quarters instead of 2, this will continue to happen.  This team is just cannot handle anything bad that happens.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:55:57 EDT »

Regardless of what people here believe about adjustment, it was not any coaching adjustment last night.  It was the effort that the Bama players gave in the second half that was the difference.  In the 1st half, the plays did not work because the QB was not accurate.  In the 2nd half, all the passes were on the money.  It seemed the 1st half, they forget Teague was on the field and did not throw his way much.  Do our safeties have assignments out there or are they supposed to free-lance and run around the field at all times to avoid contact?  We really need a DB coach that understands how to teach technique other than let the WR run by you and try to catch up.

It was not adjustments, it was execution.  When your players are that much better and decide to go out to whip the other team's butt, this is what happens.  It is not adjusting.  It is all about effort.  When this team can actually go out and play 4 quarters instead of 2, this will continue to happen.  This team is just cannot handle anything bad that happens.   
What is the big difference between last years secondary, which improved and this years which has not (with the exception of Randolph)?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:59:11 EDT »

If we could get some pressure on the QB, our secondary would be a heck of a lot better.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 08:38:03 EDT »

I am truly curious.  Isn't what you are doing working?  Why change it?  Also, how do you "adjust" for the unknown, i.e., how bama will change its game plan.  I didn't see the second half.  Did bama really change its game plan or did the players just play better?  It was obvous, even in the first half, that the Vols were over matched.  That's why things like the fake punt were needed, but stuff like that rarely works for very long.

Even with Bray and Hunter, I think the Vols would have lost to LSU and bama.  And, Bray got hurt late in the fourth quarter against Georgia, and the Vols were losing 20-6 when he left the game.  Perhaps we would have seen more progress and closer scores with Bray in the games, but I think the Vols would still be 3-4 right now.  I hate it that the Vols are this bad, but it's just the way it is.  They are simply not talented enough.  I disagree with a lot of Dooley's coaching decisions, but I do not think they have cost the Vols any games.  Perhaps the Georgia game was winnable, but the last two really weren't, not with the huge gaps in talent.  And, with Bray and Hunter out, the gap has been widened against teams better than the Vols and narrowed against the others.  Frustrating for sure.

1.  Throw more screen passes to the RB/TE middle screen against a blitzing defense.
2.  Bench Simms.................play Worley
3.  An end around out of the bunch formation.
4.  More quick slants................but you need a QB for that.
5.  Screens to slow down Bamas rush!!!!!
But then I'm not paid Millions of dollars to coach football

Go Big Orange.
TheRealOrange
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 08:52:07 EDT »

1.  Throw more screen passes to the RB/TE middle screen against a blitzing defense.
2.  Bench Simms.................play Worley
3.  An end around out of the bunch formation.
4.  More quick slants................but you need a QB for that.
5.  Screens to slow down Bamas rush!!!!!
But then I'm not paid Millions of dollars to coach football

1. And when the defense doesn't blitz, which is hasn't had to do yet?
2. And if Worley is no better (as he hasn't been from what you have been seeing in practice)?
3. And when it results in a big loss of yardage because the defensive payers are faster, as has happened already in other games?
4. So that is not a valid "adjustment," right?
5. Time is needed to set up a screen pass, so what if it is not available, as it has not been so far?

But then, there is probably a reason for that. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 09:28:16 EDT »

I don't have a problem with sticking with what has worked...but when bammer throws on the first 3-4 plays...SUCCESSFULLY  mind you, then maybe you should notice and adjust.  When they throw 6 completions in a row without even attempting a run, maybe it occurs to you that they changed something and you adjust.  When it get to a dozen plays and two TDs, then you have to pin it on the coaches IMO.

Yes, bammer has superior talent and it was a tough game either way, but at least TRY to adjust.   No talent gap explains a dozen nearly uncontested completions to start the half.  Clearly their staff spotted a weakness and exploited it, and we failed to respond.  IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 09:45:13 EDT »

I don't have a problem with sticking with what has worked...but when bammer throws on the first 3-4 plays...SUCCESSFULLY  mind you, then maybe you should notice and adjust.  When they throw 6 completions in a row without even attempting a run, maybe it occurs to you that they changed something and you adjust.  When it get to a dozen plays and two TDs, then you have to pin it on the coaches IMO.

I didn't see the second half, but they easily could have completed throws on numerous plays in the first half had their QB not missed wide open receivers.  The 6-6 score was a complete illusion IMO.  That is why I quit watching after the first 3 and out of the second half.  It was obvious that bama would not keep playing poorly, and that had little/nothing to do with what the Vols were/weren't doing IMO.

Yes, bammer has superior talent and it was a tough game either way, but at least TRY to adjust.   No talent gap explains a dozen nearly uncontested completions to start the half.  Clearly their staff spotted a weakness and exploited it, and we failed to respond.  IMO.

I disagree.  I think a talent gap explains it exactly.  How do you respond without having players with he ability to respond?  How do you know the coaches did not try to adjust?  Perhaps they did, but were unsuccessful.  The bama coaches spotted those exact same weaknesses in the first half, but the players failed to execute. That failure just didn't last.

This will be my last post on the topic, since I really have no business posting about football tactics.  But, I don't think the best coaching mind ever in the history of football (whoever that might be) could have made a difference in the outcome yesterday (or against LSU).  This is simply a very bad Vols team.  I should have stayed out of this, but for some reason I violated my "don't post about football at the VTTW" rule.    I'll now sit back and let all the experts here debate it.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 09:54:26 EDT »

I didn't see the second half, but they easily could have completed throws on numerous plays in the first half had their QB not missed wide open receivers.  The 6-6 score was a complete illusion IMO.  That is why I quit watching after the first 3 and out of the second half.  It was obvious that bama would not keep playing poorly, and that had little/nothing to do with what the Vols were/weren't doing IMO.

I disagree.  I think a talent gap explains it exactly.  How do you respond without having players with he ability to respond?  How do you know the coaches did not try to adjust?  Perhaps they did, but were unsuccessful.  The bama coaches spotted those exact same weaknesses in the first half, but the players failed to execute. That failure just didn't last.

This will be my last post on the topic, since I really have no business posting about football tactics.  But, I don't think the best coaching mind ever in the history of football (whoever that might be) could have made a difference in the outcome yesterday (or against LSU).  This is simply a very bad Vols team.  I should have stayed out of this, but for some reason I violated my "don't post about football at the VTTW" rule.    I'll now sit back and let all the experts here debate it.   

Well you at least admit you did not watch the second half.  That may explain something.  Let me say that I have not, and  will not post that talent had nothing to do with it. It had quite a bit to do with it.

But when something is SO GLARINGLY OBVIOUS it should be noted.  And had you bothered to watch the second half, you would have seen that bammer DID NOT ATTEMPT  A RUN for something like 12-15 plays in a row, and during that stretch they completed almost every one of their passes.

If you check how they called plays in the first half, it was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

This is not rocket sciene, it's kindergarten stuff.  So yeah, maybe you should bother to watch the second half next time.   

PS  I am deliberately testing you to see if you want to post any more.  So sue me.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 10:11:12 EDT »

Well you at least admit you did not watch the second half.  That may explain something.

If you read my first post, I said it to begin the thread.

But when something is SO GLARINGLY OBVIOUS it should be noted.  And had you bothered to watch the second half, you would have seen that bammer DID NOT ATTEMPT  A RUN for something like 12-15 plays in a row, and during that stretch they completed almost every one of their passes.

Read the drive chart; that is not correct.  It appears that the most passes in a row by bama in the seocnd half was 4.

This is not rocket sciene, it's kindergarten stuff.  So yeah, maybe you should bother to watch the second half next time.

Nope, I'd rather keep my sanity.  I haven't watched a full game on TV in years, and I am better off for it.  I watched more last night than I thought I would, and even then I did not watch even close to all of the first half.

PS  I am deliberately testing you to see if you want to post any more.  So sue me.   

No more football debate for me, even in this post.  I just hate incorrect information. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 10:22:43 EDT »

Show me the drive chart and I will read it.  I am frustrated that I can't find one.

Whatever happened exactly, and when and if ESPN publishes the play by play we will know (but apparently you do already - what is your source?) I know that I sat watching the first part of the second half and that bammer threw pass after pass after pass without even attempting a run, and that we apparently did not bother to react to it. 

So in spite of the deliberately obnoxious tone of my previous post, which was intended as humor, I do actually think it matters that you did not watch it.  I honestly don't see how anyone could watch that and not conclude that bammer had dramatically changed strategy and that we failed to, or at any rate, were very slow to, adjust.

Let me also say that I am not throwing our coaching staff under the bus and that I still support them 100%, but that second half adjustments in my VERY INEXPERT opinion (IMVIO), do appear to be a weakness for them.  I also think it's VERY CORRECTABLE should they bother to acknowledge the problem and fix it (and yes, I am not that big an expert to say that, but I am saying it anyway...this is a FAN site and that is a FAN'S OPINION...but not I hope a totally uninformed one).

I also fully agree that the adjustments might not have help, or even probably would not have helped, but that I would have liked to see us TRY to adjust to their very obvious change in strategy.  IMVIO I think we could have slowed them down and made it closer, had we bothered to ajdut on D.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 11:11:05 EDT »

I did find a play by play here.  

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gametracker/playbyplay/NCAAF_20111022_TN@AL

Normally I would not make a post like that without some fact checking.  ESPN decide not to post one, for whatever reason.  Anyway, here are the first 6 bammer OFFENSIVE plays (yeah, kickoffs don't count  ) of the first half (and I point out that it is NOT INCLUDING kickoffs or extra points, since u r an attorney  ):

1-10-AL24 (12:47) AJ McCarron passed to Trent Richardson for 22 yards.  
1-10-AL46 (12:23) AJ McCarron passed to Darius Hanks for 14 yards.  
1-10-TN40 (12:00) AJ McCarron passed to Marquis Maze for 20 yards.  
1-10-TN20 (11:30) AJ McCarron passed to Brad Smelley for 17 yards.  
1-0-TN3 (11:08) Touchdown. AJ McCarron rushed for 2 yards.  

4-1-TN39 (8:52) Touchdown. AJ McCarron passed to Kenny Bell for 39 yards.

I count the run by McCarron as a pass play, since it actually was.   What I recalled from the game was that they scored two consecutive TDs  on drives in which they did not CALL a running play.  I forgot that the second one was only one play long, unfortunately.

Had I been able to find the play by play in time, I would not have posted what I did.  It also appears that 6 plays is a short window for adjustments. Finally, one could question the attempt to go for it, although at the time I supported it.  If we punt there, maybe we hold them on the next drive and it's a closer game.  Who knows.

But I am going to agree with you on one thing...I am done with this topic!  I am totally sick of it.  Bring on the gamecocks.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:25:18 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 12:51:01 EDT »

But, I don't think the best coaching mind ever in the history of football (whoever that might be) could have made a difference in the outcome yesterday (or against LSU).  This is simply a very bad Vols team. 

Pretty much my words last week after the LSU game.....so, at least 1 person here agrees with me -- WOOHOO!!!   

Quasi EVol
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 03:49:16 EDT »

Pretty much my words last week after the LSU game.....so, at least 1 person here agrees with me -- WOOHOO!!!   

By the end of October you're going to be squarely on the hot seat at VTTW! 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 04:38:13 EDT »

IMO boards were created to discuss and debate this kind of stuff. There are many valid opinions on the subject.

I didn't watch one second of the game so I don't really have a valid opinion on that. Seemed like more of the same from what I "saw" while checking the score. We suck, mostly because of overall talent and depth, partly because of injuries, partly because we get mentally beaten down, and partly because we have position groups that appear to be underachieving. JMO and I don't claim to be an "expert".

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: