VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 09:10:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MAKE ADJUSTMENTS, DAMNIT!  (Read 3349 times)
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2011, 10:18:15 EDT »

What adjustments can Dooley make with this group of players? Seriously, we have a qb who is late on almost every throw, locks onto receivers and can't throw the ball 40 yards. He throws multiple interceptions per game and the defense has no time to catch a breather on the sidelines.

Our starters in the defensive secondary are slower than other team's fastest receivers. To compensate for that they drop back and give a cushion. Oooops, they just threw a slant because our dbs dropped back. Oh, they are in man to man again....and there goes Teague, running for his life to catchup. Where was the safety, you say? He was too busy making sure that no running back made it through that gaping hole that none of our linemen could plug and our linebackers are kinda slow and out of position a lot of time.

There is no doubt that Dooley and or Wilcox should do a better job but a couple of those plays that the Bama qb completed were perfect passes. There's no help for our offense with Simms in the game. Our defense is small, slow and lacking depth.

CW
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:34:38 EDT »

Here's my thoughts..

You're Dooley and it's halftime.  You are selling out to stop the run and it's working.  Now, you have the foresight to think "okay, how are they going to react to what we've done in the first half?"  Basic logic says they're going to come out and loosen us up by throwing over the heads of our suspect secondary.  So what I would've done is anticipated that and come out in a nickel package with an extra db and blanket Maze and Hanks.  If they then check into run plays and run the ball on you, so be it.  Or at the very least, react this way after they pass their way down the field immediately following your three and out.

At least, do something.  I knew we couldn't just "keep it up" and stay with them.  They were going to adjust.  We could've done a better job of preemptively reacting.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 12:21:06 EDT »

Here's my thoughts..

You're Dooley and it's halftime.  You are selling out to stop the run and it's working.  Now, you have the foresight to think "okay, how are they going to react to what we've done in the first half?"  Basic logic says they're going to come out and loosen us up by throwing over the heads of our suspect secondary.  So what I would've done is anticipated that and come out in a nickel package with an extra db and blanket Maze and Hanks.  If they then check into run plays and run the ball on you, so be it.  Or at the very least, react this way after they pass their way down the field immediately following your three and out.

At least, do something.  I knew we couldn't just "keep it up" and stay with them.  They were going to adjust.  We could've done a better job of preemptively reacting.

My thoughts exactly

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 12:45:21 EDT »

Here's my thoughts..

My thoughts exactly

Agreed

Go Big Orange.
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:35:32 EDT »

So you are saying that you would have adjusted to allow Richardson to run all over us from the beginning of the second half. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There were no good options.

Then everyone would be saying, "Why the F did Dooley change what he was doing? It was working perfectly and he screwed it up!" Or something like that.....

CW
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 03:06:43 EDT »

So you are saying that you would have adjusted to allow Richardson to run all over us from the beginning of the second half. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There were no good options.

Then everyone would be saying, "Why the F did Dooley change what he was doing? It was working perfectly and he screwed it up!" Or something like that.....

CW

That's fine, then you go back to selling out to start the run again.  All I'm saying is I think the staff could be more proactive in their halftime planning.  I think Dooley and his staff coached lights out in the first half, that's why the second half letdowns bother me so much.  It appears we've got a great plan starting the game... I thought the same vs. UGA and LSU.  But in all of these games, there just appears to be no halftime strategizing.  "Okay, now they're going to react to what we've being doing by doing this... what are we going to do about it?".  I'm not coach, but I thought this was what halftime was all about for coaches.

Would it have been enough to win?  Probably not, but you never know.  It may have helped, though.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 03:16:09 EDT »

Guys, we could put six DBs back there, but it does not matter when (1) they are too slow, (2) have not be coached in proper technique because their coach is terrible, and (3) then Trent R, would have had 200 yards 2nd half.

Wilcox may be a good DC, but he is handicapped by a poor secondary coach who does not know how or what to teach the players.  Our poor secondary play goes on one person and that is the DB coach. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 03:32:38 EDT »

Guys, we could put six DBs back there, but it does not matter when (1) they are too slow, (2) have not be coached in proper technique because their coach is terrible, and (3) then Trent R, would have had 200 yards 2nd half.

Wilcox may be a good DC, but he is handicapped by a poor secondary coach who does not know how or what to teach the players.  Our poor secondary play goes on one person and that is the DB coach. 

Be that as it may, there are certain defensive schemes whose goal is to prevent an offense from doing a certain thing.  If you anticipate the offense to go to the air or they just went down the field throwing the ball, imo you apply a scheme to counteract that.  Like I said, would it have mattered?  Probably not.  It doesn't mean you just sit there and fail to react and let it happen to you.

Simply my opinion, I can certainly see the merit in the argument that no matter what we would've done we would've lost anyway.  But I still say I would've liked to have seen a different reaction from the D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: