VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 05:53:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe some good things to point out.  (Read 2073 times)
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2011, 11:30:33 EDT »

The kicking game was near fantastic last night.  That's high praise coming form me.  I've been critical of our kickers all year, but last night they really did well.  Coverage was fantastic.  Bama had to fair catch most punts and our few kickoffs were covered well.

Our run defense was very good.  I haven't looked at the stats but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the lowest output of the year for Bama.  I disagree that we were selling out to stop the run.  Our LB's were playing run first, but that's what a traditional responsibility for any linebacker.  Also witness that out lone int. was by A.J. dropping back into coverage.  Our front line fought harder than I've seen them do anytime this year. 

Poole ran better than he has all year.  It's good to see him running hard again.

The OL actually got some push on a terrific defensive front.  Once again, I think they blocked better than any time this year.  The pass blocking was very good.  Simm's had time.  He just didn't know what to do with it.

D. Rogers is a beast!  He was dragging bama defenders down the field when Simm's could get him the ball

Not many self-inflicted penlites.  This was good for being on the road in a very hostile environment.

For the game as a whole, I thought Bama played right into our hands in the first half.  They tried to just blow us off the ball and run us out of the ball park.  In the second half, they went right at out weakness.  Our secondary can't cover and can't tackle and they made us pay.  The Bama receivers were running wide open all game long.  I wasn't impress with the bama QB.  He made a few good throws but most were just fantastic diving catches by his receivers.  Decent secondary coverage would of taken away a lot of than.  He doesn't make a lot of mistakes though so he is just what bama needs to go all the way.

On offense, Bama dared us to throw and we couldn't do it.  Simm's had time but not the ability to make a pass.  That fourth down sneak was atrocious and it was the death blow to us in the game.  Still, I'm not really down on Simms because he just does what he can do.  If you put a cow in the Kentucky Derby you can't be mad at the cow because it didn't win. 

In conclusion, we are still laying the foundation for a good team.  We have holes that need to be plugged and then we need depth in the worst way.  It's a long road ahead but we are moving in the right direction.  I sure will be glad when our opponents stop paying us compliments and start cursing us again.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 12:45:40 EDT »

Excellent observations; dead on the money. I was at the game, and you are right on AJ. He tends to overthrow his receivers and force them to make too many great catches. He had both our TE and Hanks open for TD's, and missed on one and forced Hanks to make a diving catch when he would still be running on green grass if the pass were thrown in-stride That being said, he hasn't made many mistakes and does have an excellent arm.

Agree on you comments about the future of the Volunteers. They played damn tough that first half, and I was impressed. They don't have the personnel to do that, but they did it anyway. Hats off to them.  Second half adjustments, and according to the Bama players a come to Jesus sermon by Minister Saban were keys to the Crimson Tide win.

BG
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:51:52 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:28:30 EDT »

Really good points 3, and glad you stressed the positives also

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:47:26 EDT »

Really good points 3, and glad you stressed the positives also

Well, It's a tough job...but somebody's got to do it.

Good luck to you guys BG.  That LSU game will be something to see. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: