VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 12:19:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late night comment on the adjustment discussion  (Read 2098 times)
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2011, 07:38:00 EDT »

First six bama plays second half:

1.  McCarron rolls away from pressure and dumps the ball to Richardson at LOS, he breaks tackle and makes long run.

2.  Crossing route that Wagner recognizes and runs with, so-so throw but great layout catch by Hanks.

3.  Sideline pattern to Maze that we have both a corner and a safety within 2-3 yards, perfect throw.

4.  Pressure again, McCarron rolls away and freezes Brewer, Smelly wheels by Brewer and McCarron floats it over.  Great recognition by Smelly, just a really smart and good play by bama.

5.  McCarron runs it in when DB coverage is pretty close to perfect.

6.  Deep throw that was covered about as well as could be expected, but a great throw and catch for TD.

How do you adjust?  We got pressure, we had coverage, they just flat out beat our pressure and beat our coverage.  We were in position to make plays, so were they--they made them, we didn't.  Had nothing to do with scheme or adjustments, had to do with players making plays. 

Long time since I put on the pads, so I don't claim to know much about the game anymore, but I would be interested to hear what adjustments would have prevented the above plays.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 12:17:23 EDT »

First six bama plays second half:

1.  McCarron rolls away from pressure and dumps the ball to Richardson at LOS, he breaks tackle and makes long run.

2.  Crossing route that Wagner recognizes and runs with, so-so throw but great layout catch by Hanks.

3.  Sideline pattern to Maze that we have both a corner and a safety within 2-3 yards, perfect throw.

4.  Pressure again, McCarron rolls away and freezes Brewer, Smelly wheels by Brewer and McCarron floats it over.  Great recognition by Smelly, just a really smart and good play by bama.

5.  McCarron runs it in when DB coverage is pretty close to perfect.

6.  Deep throw that was covered about as well as could be expected, but a great throw and catch for TD.

How do you adjust?  We got pressure, we had coverage, they just flat out beat our pressure and beat our coverage.  We were in position to make plays, so were they--they made them, we didn't.  Had nothing to do with scheme or adjustments, had to do with players making plays.  

Long time since I put on the pads, so I don't claim to know much about the game anymore, but I would be interested to hear what adjustments would have prevented the above plays.
#5 if I remember is where Maggitt stayed with the RB in the flat and nobody else closed, allowing the TD.  Maggitt had no winning choice.  If he breaks off coverage to go after the QB the QB floats it over his head to the RB for an easy TD as well.

Added #3 - Saturday night I noted on this play that the corner was deeper than the safety (Randolph)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:29:28 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:45:15 EDT »

This horse is already dead.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:14:40 EDT »

Bama's where they are because they have playmakers, and we are where we are because we have lost 2 out of 3 of our playmakers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: