VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 07:44:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's a reality check  (Read 4160 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: October 30, 2011, 06:18:09 EDT »

I hate to say it because I've given everyone so much heck for griping about the 2nd half adjustment thing. But we're just not a very well coached team right now.

That has nothing to do with the final score, or winning and losing. But we're not. Dooley had me from his introductory press conference, but he's quickly losing me right now and is going to have to win me back. We burned FOUR freakin' timeouts tonight because the right personnel wasn't on the field. FOUR. Was this the first game of the season or the eighth? That "youth" excuse only carries you so far.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 06:41:13 EDT »

Yup.  DD is losing me in that regard as well.  

Its like he doesnt realize crap like this costs you games in this league.  I guess Saban didnt teach him that part.  Lest we forget what mightve been last year vs LSU had we subbed and lined up correctly.

It's mind boggling, because DD comes across as someone who's obsessed with organization.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 06:48:43 EDT »

If tonight's personnel mixups were an isolated thing, it wouldn't bother me. But this seems to happen with regularity.

I don't expect too much out of this team because we are without our best player on D and our two best players on O. But we're regressing instead of progressing right now. I wouldn't be a bit shocked to see MTSU come in here and win next week.

- The OL is absolutely horrid. There is no excuse for their play. None. When you have a first and goal at the three and you have to put your freshman QB in a position to make the bad decision that Worley made in the third quarter, you've got issues. Harry Hiestand has GOT to go.

- The secondary has been a major disappointment.

- Receiver was supposed to be our strongest and deepest position. When Hunter went down, this group became completely ineffective. Rogers is proving that he is a great position when he's playing second fiddle but is apparently having problems as the No. 1 guy. He's dropping passes every week...the dropped touchdown tonight was very crucial. Arnett had a good game tonight, but overall that bunch cannot get any separation on their pass routes, they routinely drop balls...just a big disappointment.

I also am becoming increasingly concerned with how often our staff is getting schooled by opposing coaches. It's old hat for Spurrier to have his QB play fake and throw downfield on 4th-and-short. Our D was totally unprepared for it. Everybody in the stadium knew Shaw was going to run a draw on 3rd and goal from the five. Our D was totally unprepared for it.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:54:34 EDT »

For the first time I am questioning our coaches. I dont know if its my frustration talking or what but I saw no imagination in our play calling on offense.

Rogers drop was huge as that was a perfect throw and it would have changed the game.

It bears repeating, our overall talent level is waaaaaaay down. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 03:36:37 EDT »

If tonight's personnel mixups were an isolated thing, it wouldn't bother me. But this seems to happen with regularity.

I don't expect too much out of this team because we are without our best player on D and our two best players on O. But we're regressing instead of progressing right now. I wouldn't be a bit shocked to see MTSU come in here and win next week.

- The OL is absolutely horrid. There is no excuse for their play. None. When you have a first and goal at the three and you have to put your freshman QB in a position to make the bad decision that Worley made in the third quarter, you've got issues. Harry Hiestand has GOT to go.

- The secondary has been a major disappointment.

- Receiver was supposed to be our strongest and deepest position. When Hunter went down, this group became completely ineffective. Rogers is proving that he is a great position when he's playing second fiddle but is apparently having problems as the No. 1 guy. He's dropping passes every week...the dropped touchdown tonight was very crucial. Arnett had a good game tonight, but overall that bunch cannot get any separation on their pass routes, they routinely drop balls...just a big disappointment.

I also am becoming increasingly concerned with how often our staff is getting schooled by opposing coaches. It's old hat for Spurrier to have his QB play fake and throw downfield on 4th-and-short. Our D was totally unprepared for it. Everybody in the stadium knew Shaw was going to run a draw on 3rd and goal from the five. Our D was totally unprepared for it.
A couple of points:
1) the first two TOs were the direct result of having a FR QB - we were in the wrong formation.  Another TO was the result of the FR QB being too excited with a longish pass to Arnett and not getting the play in time.

2) Receiver - I think Dallas was over hyped, he has been a real disappointment to me so far.  Zack we knew about.  Arnett has improved greatly since Hunter went down and as I pointed out last night has the potential to be an outstanding receiver.  Milton to this point has been a bust.  Neal is making progress and perhaps as soon as the next game may be a starter.  Da'Rick seems to be pressing.  Also remember he had drops the firt couple of games but has been our most consistent receiver getting open, until last night.  Remember it took Hunter and Da'Rick a year to get to where they were at this year.

3) The secondary played,as a unit, much better last night.  Moore played well as the 3rd DB and was liberaly used in passing situations for Sap.  Our two corners played very well.  Teague got several snaps in the 2nd half as a B/U.  IMO the TD on 1st down was a flat bust due to the design of the play that catered to the tendancies of our safeties.  I'm not sure (till I look at film when I get back to bubbaville) but I suspect who it was tht blew the coverage.  BTW, the corner actually played his man well (it was a two man route).

We are playing a ton of freshmen and while most, if not all, have significantly improved as the year has progressed they are still prone to lapses in the heat of the game.  To the credit of the staff those lapses have decreased but they are still occuring.

Dooley is becoming more inclined to gamble and is doing evrything he can to win.  The defense played well enough to win last night.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 04:44:19 EDT »

I hate to say it because I've given everyone so much heck for griping about the 2nd half adjustment thing. But we're just not a very well coached team right now.

That has nothing to do with the final score, or winning and losing. But we're not. Dooley had me from his introductory press conference, but he's quickly losing me right now and is going to have to win me back. We burned FOUR freakin' timeouts tonight because the right personnel wasn't on the field. FOUR. Was this the first game of the season or the eighth? That "youth" excuse only carries you so far.

I've been questioning our coaching staff since Georgia.............................no improvement on offense since.

Go Big Orange.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:07:28 EDT »

A couple of points:
1) the first two TOs were the direct result of having a FR QB - we were in the wrong formation.  Another TO was the result of the FR QB being too excited with a longish pass to Arnett and not getting the play in time.

2) Receiver - I think Dallas was over hyped, he has been a real disappointment to me so far.  Zack we knew about.  Arnett has improved greatly since Hunter went down and as I pointed out last night has the potential to be an outstanding receiver.  Milton to this point has been a bust.  Neal is making progress and perhaps as soon as the next game may be a starter.  Da'Rick seems to be pressing.  Also remember he had drops the firt couple of games but has been our most consistent receiver getting open, until last night.  Remember it took Hunter and Da'Rick a year to get to where they were at this year.

3) The secondary played,as a unit, much better last night.  Moore played well as the 3rd DB and was liberaly used in passing situations for Sap.  Our two corners played very well.  Teague got several snaps in the 2nd half as a B/U.  IMO the TD on 1st down was a flat bust due to the design of the play that catered to the tendancies of our safeties.  I'm not sure (till I look at film when I get back to bubbaville) but I suspect who it was tht blew the coverage.  BTW, the corner actually played his man well (it was a two man route).

We are playing a ton of freshmen and while most, if not all, have significantly improved as the year has progressed they are still prone to lapses in the heat of the game.  To the credit of the staff those lapses have decreased but they are still occuring.

Dooley is becoming more inclined to gamble and is doing evrything he can to win.  The defense played well enough to win last night.

Fair point on our secondary. They did play much better last night. (Unfortunately, our linebackers took a step backwards.)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 12:11:07 EDT »

Fair point on our secondary. They did play much better last night. (Unfortunately, our linebackers took a step backwards.)
Not sure I agree with that.  AJ had another good game and the coule of times he was out of position (one early pass to the flat for example) his speed allowed him to recover quickly.  Austin had a good game as well.  Sap isn't in Maggitt's class but played ok.  Vareen was in the game a few times as well but wasn't note worthy.  The improvement in AJ's play has reduced his role a lot.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:05:03 EDT »

I've been questioning our coaching staff since Georgia.............................no improvement on offense since.

No dog in this hunt, but Bray played against UGA. In all fairness, they had to rely on Simms and, after seeing how aweful he is, get your FR QB in there.  Can't improve too much when you are throwing new QBs against some powerful teams.

As an outside observer, I think you guys are being way too hard on CDD.  Again, I realize it is the fun of being a fan......second guessing the coaches and playcalling.  But when you have a formula of a newer coaching staff and injuries at key positions, you get what you see now, IMO.  If you can look forward to next year and assume you have a healthy Bray, Hunter and whoever else may be out with injuries, then you can hopefully give a fair account of your coaching staff.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: