VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 06:25:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fair assessment IMO. Tough to swallow right now, but I agree.  (Read 3320 times)
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:45:32 EDT »

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2011/10/31/2526091/whats-wrong-with-tennessee-football-has-nothing-to-do-with-derek#storyjump
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:24:15 EDT »

That's my viewpoint and what I've been saying. For good reason we're not as good as the better teams in the league. Then we lose consistently against a brutal schedule (#1 hardest by the way) and every bad break is magnified, every coaching decision is dissected.

It's not any fun, it's discouraging and frustrating. But we need to simmer down, let this guy do his job and try to put this thing back together. And if that's tough to do, consider this: What other choice do we really have?
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 10:48:41 EDT »

The article pretty much sums up my thoughts on Dooley and the program right now. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:59 EDT »

Was thinking along those lines this weekend. No senior leadership, and i wonder how many are having that dreaded sophomore slump? No depth and lost your two best play makers on offense. Take the best qb and the best wr off any team and they will suffer, take them off our team and it is devastating.

I know all of this but it still pains me to watch it. A big result of lazy recruiting efforts. If these guys can stick it out and turn this around in 2013 they will hear Neyland as they never have before and they will deserve it as much as any senior class that has been through UT.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 02:01:55 EDT »

I guess I agree with most of this to a point.  I still believe Dooley and the staff are not very good at motivating the players as they could be, or our offensive scheme which was Bray throw the football 50 x a game CAUSE WE HAVE A BUNCH OF 2ND AND ONE 3RD YEAR OL GUYS THAT "LOOK LIKE TARZAN, BUT PLAY LIKE JANE"................................THESE GUYS CAN BARELY BLOCK AN OL GRANNY ON A WALKER........and they were much better on run blocking last year...

The "D" has kept us in the last 4 games for a while, even without Bray the Offense should be better than they are now................PERIOD....DOT.

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:58:29 EDT »

........and they were much better on run blocking last year...[/b]

Wow, I thought we were a bit better this year.  Then I checked the stats.  Last year we averaged 109 yards per game and were 105th in the NCAA.  This year we are averaging 83 yards per game and are 119th.  Out of 120.   

If there is any consolation, it's that we just played literally three of the best defenses in the country, and we have a softer stretch coming up.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:18:56 EDT »

here is how our run game did vs. last year's repeat opponents:

Team                   2010                            2011
Florida                       29                                 -9
LSU                          96                                 111               
Georgia                      9                                  -20
bammer                    159                                  92
USC                           92                                  35

Pretty much worse across the board.  Our stats vs. UF this year were skewed by 6 sacks, and  LSU and bammer are IMO better vs. the run this year, but no matter how you slice it we suxes very badly.   

Hope we have a better November.....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 07:02:36 EDT »

Should be required reading before criticizing Dooley.  Don't mean there is nothing there to criticize, fans always find something to criticize, but IMHO his recruiting classes, while not rated as highly as in the past, will be solid, will be here, and will be SEC caliber players.  He will do things the right way, and he will win.  How much he wins, and whether that is enough to satisfy our fan base remains to be seen, but my money is on the dude in the orange pants.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: