VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 09:15:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ladies and Gentlemen, you are seeing why Worley was named the starter  (Read 14604 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:38:40 EDT »

The kid can throw the rock
Yeah it's MTSU but this will give him confidence when we return to the SEC next week.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 01:41:31 EDT »

I know this isn't popular but I think Simms could do similar against MTSU.

Sorry I am just going to have to see the kid beat somebody Simms couldn't IMO before I fully believe in pulling the shirt.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 01:44:43 EDT »

Worley is going to be great though.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:48:55 EDT »

I know this isn't popular but I think Simms could do similar against MTSU.

Sorry I am just going to have to see the kid beat somebody Simms couldn't IMO before I fully believe in pulling the shirt.

I agree.  I thought starting him against SC was a mistake, we had a better chance of winning that game with Simms, imo.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 01:56:35 EDT »

I agree.  I thought starting him against SC was a mistake, we had a better chance of winning that game with Simms, imo.

Count me in on that thought.  I'm glad Worley's playing now, but it's a good bet we beat SC with Simms.  I'm glad he's thrown some good balls, but I'll reserve judgement.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:56:56 EDT »

Said the same thing myself.  Then again Da'rick had the drop, too.  
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 01:57:25 EDT »

Count me in on that thought.  I'm glad Worley's playing now, but it's a good bet we beat SC with Simms.  I'm glad he's thrown some good balls, but I'll reserve judgement.
No freaking way - Simms throws 4 picks against the SC defense

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 01:58:11 EDT »

I cordially disagree.   
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 01:58:33 EDT »

Not a given at all IMO.

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 01:00:35 EST »

Simms couldn't have done any worse. I think we could have scored more than 3 points if Simms had started
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 01:02:50 EST »

Simms couldn't have done any worse. I think we could have scored more than 3 points if Simms had started
But this is all about the next three games - THAT is why Woorley is playing and Simms is on the bench.  Simms is NOT an SEC QB and the ONLY SEC game he could have won is KY while Worley has the potential to be a very good SEC QB.  Dooley really had NO choice.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 01:07:18 EST »

Worley looks good.  Very smoothe for only the second game.  I'm glad we have him.  Also, Toney looks like our best back.  He seems to be the only one willing to hit the line at full speed.  He also seems to vision.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 01:10:38 EST »

In the spirit of contributing to a lively discussion I will enter the fray.

I agree with Pirate.

I will concede that Simms knows more of the offensive playbook and knows it better. That means you can do more with Simms.

But when it comes to throwing the ball, Worley is much better. He gets rid of it quickly and throws a good ball. Yes, he probably cost us the USC game. Maybe Simms doesn't. But how many interceptions of Simms did we have to see? How many times did we have to see Simms holding on the ball too long, getting hit from behind and fumbling?

Was it worth burning the redshirt? Only the results of the last 4 games will tell.

If you can't run the ball, you have to pass. Worley is better at that.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 01:13:51 EST »

But this is all about the next three games - THAT is why Woorley is playing and Simms is on the bench.  Simms is NOT an SEC QB and the ONLY SEC game he could have won is KY while Worley has the potential to be a very good SEC QB.  Dooley really had NO choice.

If we don't beat Vandy or Arkansas, it won't matter.

I think Simms had to play against the two best teams in America and I think that hurt him.

There is no black and white here... Sorry, your absolutes are not absolutes at all.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 01:22:52 EST »

If we don't beat Vandy or Arkansas, it won't matter.

I think Simms had to play against the two best teams in America and I think that hurt him.

There is no black and white here... Sorry, your absolutes are not absolutes at all.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  Simms sucked last year and was benched and actually looked to regress when given an opportunity with Bray's injury this year.  I still believe that Simms' inability to play SEC level QB play left Dooley no choice but to go with Worley

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 01:27:01 EST »

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  Simms sucked last year and was benched and actually looked to regress when given an opportunity with Bray's injury this year.  I still believe that Simms' inability to play SEC level QB play left Dooley no choice but to go with Worley

I think worley is playing better but I don't know if it will translate to wins. If so, good decision. If not, I disagree. Jury is out so far.

I just think anything we see against MTSU is fool's gold until we show it against Arky and Vandy (ugh).

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 01:32:13 EST »

I think worley is playing better but I don't know if it will translate to wins. If so, good decision. If not, I disagree. Jury is out so far.

I just think anything we see against MTSU is fool's gold until we show it against Arky and Vandy (ugh).

Agree again.  If we wind up beating only KY, burning the red shirt was a big mistake, and imo our chances of beating Ark are slim or none. So it comes down to Vandy I guess
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 02:42:46 EST »

I wouldn't put much stock in anything the Vols do against MTSU. They should have their way in all phases of the game tonight!

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 02:44:36 EST »

I wouldn't put much stock in anything the Vols do against MTSU. They should have their way in all phases of the game tonight!

Yes, which is why I'm not too excited about getting shut out in the 2nd half by them.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 02:53:48 EST »

Does anyone feel Worley will beat out Bray for starting job before Bray graduates

volsboyinsodak
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 03:07:43 EST »

Does anyone feel Worley will beat out Bray for starting job before Bray graduates

No.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 03:39:05 EST »

No
The downside with the injury and subsequent burning of the redshirt is the plan would have been in place for Worley to be able to play three years if Bray left after 3.  Not so much now.  But there is no contest, Bray can be the best QB for Tennessee not named Manning.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 03:43:37 EST »

Yes, which is why I'm not too excited about getting shut out in the 2nd half by them.
I'm not happy either but from about mid 3rd quarter out we were working on specific things every series.  Even the set of throws to Arnett were part of a plan (he had not been involved in the offense but appeared for a series of throws and then goes to the sidelines.  We really were working on various issues of the running game, including changing out OLs.  I'd like to see Stone get another shot at center.  We really are a better blocking team with him at center IMO.  He apparently also does a much better ob at line calls.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 05:16:06 EST »

Wading in really late, but I think Worley starting against USC was a mistake also.

And I completely agree that doing this against MTSU means nothing.  Here is an interesting thought...I am still not even sure BRAY has been completely tested.  The best pass D (by FAR) he has faced in the last year is uga, and he was pretty ineffective IMO.  It would have been really interesting to see him run the gauntlet of LSU-bammer-USCe, which as of last week were LITERALLY the three best pass D's in the country!

So my point is that Dooley seems to have a tendency to put in a QB at times when it seems anyone could throw the ball.  The exception is USCe, which makes it even more of a head scratcher.   Worley had not thrown a pass at all in college.  It was just not a good decision IMO.

Anyway,  I am going to remain unimpressed with Worley.  Let's see how he does next week in Fayettville.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 03:24:32 EST »

I still think that Worley with three games under his belt gives us a better chance to beat Vanderbilt and become bowl eligible than Simms gives us to beat Vanderbilt and become bowl eligible. That's why Dooley yanked the red shirt when he yanked it. If Bray is back for Vandy, the redshirt was wasted. But coaches don't have the luxury of hindsight.

Worley is going to be a good QB. Simms was never going to be a good QB.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: