VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 11:53:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ladies and Gentlemen, you are seeing why Worley was named the starter  (Read 14612 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 03:33:50 EST »

I still think that Worley with three games under his belt gives us a better chance to beat Vanderbilt and become bowl eligible than Simms gives us to beat Vanderbilt and become bowl eligible. That's why Dooley yanked the red shirt when he yanked it. If Bray is back for Vandy, the redshirt was wasted. But coaches don't have the luxury of hindsight.

Worley is going to be a good QB. Simms was never going to be a good QB.

I actually kind of agree that Worley might be the best chance to beat vandy.  However, I don't necesarily accept that he *had* to play vs. USCe to make that so. He could easily have come off the bench after a series or two.  Plus, I think Bray might be back for vandy anyway.  I guess we will find out.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Crockett
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 04:38:13 EST »

I still think that Worley with three games under his belt gives us a better chance to beat Vanderbilt and become bowl eligible than Simms gives us to beat Vanderbilt and become bowl eligible. That's why Dooley yanked the red shirt when he yanked it. If Bray is back for Vandy, the redshirt was wasted. But coaches don't have the luxury of hindsight.

Worley is going to be a good QB. Simms was never going to be a good QB.

What he said.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 10:32:01 EST »

What he said.

How good did he have to be to give us a chance vs. USCe on our own home field with Lattimore and Garcia both out?  We should try to win every game, period.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 10:39:57 EST »

How good did he have to be to give us a chance vs. USCe on our own home field with Lattimore and Garcia both out?  We should try to win every game, period.

Let's be honest here: Worley, playing in the first game of his career, gave us as good or better of a chance to beat South Carolina than Simms would've given. "Period." (Dot.)
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 10:43:05 EST »

Let's be honest here: Worley, playing in the first game of his career, gave us as good or better of a chance to beat South Carolina than Simms would've given. "Period." (Dot.)
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  Simms sucked last year and was benched and actually looked to regress when given an opportunity with Bray's injury this year.  I still believe that Simms' inability to play SEC level QB play left Dooley no choice but to go with Worley

100% TRUE.

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 10:46:50 EST »

We'll have to disagree on that...hard to accept that any frosh who has never thrown a pass would be better than a 5th-year senior, no matter how bad the senior is.  Worley was 10 of 26 with two picks.  Simms  had better stats against LSU and bammer, arguably the best two Ds in the country, and I am not sure he ever had a a game that bad, ever (and I am way too lazy to look that up, lol).

But again...no problem with different opinions.  I would have liked to have seen Simms vs. USCe to start and Worley off the bench, but that's just me.

I will freely acknowledge that the edge Simms might bring is probably pretty small, and maybe not enough to make a difference.  But to me, starting Worley is the equivalent of surrendering before the game starts and I don't like that.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 10:52:31 EST »

We'll have to disagree on that...hard to accept that any frosh who has never thrown a pass would be better than a 5th-year senior, no matter how bad the senior is.  Worley was 10 of 26 with two picks.  Simms  had better stats against LSU and bammer, arguably the best two Ds in the country, and I am not sure he ever had a a game that bad, ever (and I am way too lazy to look that up, lol).

But again...no problem with different opinions.  I would have liked to have seen Simms vs. USCe to start and Worley off the bench, but that's just me.

I will freely acknowledge that the edge Simms might bring is probably pretty small, and maybe not enough to make a difference.  But to me, starting Worley is the equivalent of surrendering before the game starts and I don't like that.

How is starting Worley surrendering the game? I've heard that from some other UT fans and I honestly don't understand the reasoning. If Worley is the best chance to win in the long run, then at some point you have to start "the long run." If you don't play him against South Carolina because they're a good defensive team and Worley doesn't have any experience, then you're going to have those who argue that Simms should get the start against MTSU because it's finally a team he can look good against and he's paid his dues against USC, LSU and Alabama (actually, Mike Griffith already argued that point, or a variation thereof). And then you can't play Worley against Arkansas because you would be throwing him against a top 10 team on the road for his first experience. Suddenly you're facing Vanderbilt, you have a 4-6 record, and your options are playing a QB who you have no confidence can win the game for you or a QB who has little or no college experience.

Point is, there are going to be folks who find fault with Dooley no matter what he does. I thought it was the right call.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 10:52:49 EST »

The only egde Simms has on Worley is that he can hold onto the ball longer and take a sack more frequently and better.......................Simms may know the playbook, but cannot process info like reads and find the open guys.......................he (Simms) was very lucky against those 2 teams cause we ran the ball decently even with no decent RB.  Simms is no egde, but a liability......................

Go Big Orange.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 11:37:07 EST »

Point is, there are going to be folks who find fault with Dooley no matter what he does. I thought it was the right call.

I know you didn't mean that everyone who questions that decision finds fault with Dooley on everything, but... I will point out that everyone who questions the Worley decision doesn't find fault with Dooley on everything. 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 11:46:38 EST »

How is starting Worley surrendering the game? I've heard that from some other UT fans and I honestly don't understand the reasoning. If Worley is the best chance to win in the long run, then at some point you have to start "the long run." If you don't play him against South Carolina because they're a good defensive team and Worley doesn't have any experience, then you're going to have those who argue that Simms should get the start against MTSU because it's finally a team he can look good against and he's paid his dues against USC, LSU and Alabama (actually, Mike Griffith already argued that point, or a variation thereof). And then you can't play Worley against Arkansas because you would be throwing him against a top 10 team on the road for his first experience. Suddenly you're facing Vanderbilt, you have a 4-6 record, and your options are playing a QB who you have no confidence can win the game for you or a QB who has little or no college experience.

I don't understand how starting a true frosh who has never thrown a college pass against the third best pass D in American can be done, and then the coaches still expect anyone to think they were really trying to win the game.  Does not compute.

I understand the argument about vandy and other later games, but IMHO that could just as easily be accomplished by bringing Worley in off the bench.  Whatever the case, he was a disaster against USCe.

And I certainly don't question every decision Dooley has made, but I do question this one.   

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 11:57:22 EST »

I know you didn't mean that everyone who questions that decision finds fault with Dooley on everything, but... I will point out that everyone who questions the Worley decision doesn't find fault with Dooley on everything. 

Of course not. I wasn't even referring to anyone in particular. I was just speaking very generally saying that basically Dooley is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't. Just one of the many side effects of a disappointing season. (Says someone who has been critical of Dooley's coaching himself.)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 12:03:23 EST »

Of course not. I wasn't even referring to anyone in particular. I was just speaking very generally saying that basically Dooley is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't. Just one of the many side effects of a disappointing season. (Says someone who has been critical of Dooley's coaching himself.)

Agreed.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 01:40:33 EST »

But this is all about the next three games - THAT is why Woorley is playing and Simms is on the bench.  Simms is NOT an SEC QB and the ONLY SEC game he could have won is KY while Worley has the potential to be a very good SEC QB.  Dooley really had NO choice.

Nothing there I can take issue with.

G
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: