VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 09:21:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assuming this isn't another slipup by the SEC website, Missou is officially in..  (Read 5756 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2011, 05:13:00 EST »

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/229185/university-of-missouri-to-join-southeastern-conference.aspx

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:08:32 EST »

I like it.    So the rumor is Auburn will move to the east?  Who else?  Bama?  That would seem to tilt the football power disproportionately eastward. 
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 06:17:52 EST »

Welcome to Missouri.  From what I have been reading, Mizzou will be in the East with aTm in the West.  This leaves Bama as our yearly opponent with the other 6 teams on a rotating basis.  This is unwieldy so the schedule will have to go to 9 games in a couple of years. But boy is the West now loaded.  Next year it will be Bama and LSU at the top with Ark, Auburn, and aTm in the middle to top, and Miss State and Ole Miss on the bottom.  The annual Arkansas and aTm game will be a barn-burner.  aTm will start to give Bama and LSU fits.

Is it to early to start speculation on the next two SEC members?
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:37:27 EST »

Welcome to Missouri.  From what I have been reading, Mizzou will be in the East with aTm in the West.  This leaves Bama as our yearly opponent with the other 6 teams on a rotating basis.  This is unwieldy so the schedule will have to go to 9 games in a couple of years. But boy is the West now loaded.  Next year it will be Bama and LSU at the top with Ark, Auburn, and aTm in the middle to top, and Miss State and Ole Miss on the bottom.  The annual Arkansas and aTm game will be a barn-burner.  aTm will start to give Bama and LSU fits.

Is it to early to start speculation on the next two SEC members?

They could always add Georgia Tech and Houston

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:15:44 EST »

Now that it's done, I just hope they'll hurry up and release the schedules for next year.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:33:42 EST »

Didn't know you were German...

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=22014.0

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:39:33 EST »

ATM was ok, I can't get real excited about Missouri. Good add in basketball I guess.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 10:48:51 EST »

ATM was ok, I can't get real excited about Missouri. Good add in basketball I guess.

True, but my take is that they fall somewhere between USCe and Ole Miss in the "power spectrum" or whatever of the SEC.    Adding another average to above average program might round us out a bit.  As it is, there is a fairly serious unbalance from the "elite" teams to the bottom dwellers.  This might help parity.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:10:28 EST »

I like it.    So the rumor is Auburn will move to the east?  Who else?  Bama?  That would seem to tilt the football power disproportionately eastward. 

I think Mizzou will be in the East and aTm in the west
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:21:21 EST »

I think Mizzou will be in the East and aTm in the west

Looks like it's a done deal. Arkansas AD Jeff Long tweeted earlier that Mizzou would be in the east, at least initially, and Richt said that placing Mizzou in the east "made the most sense"...note the past tense.

It's the only thing that does make sense. All the current rivalries continue, plus Arkansas can play TAMU on an annual basis while making Missouri their yearly game from the opposite division...that makes more sense than the current Arkansas-South Carolina "rivalry."
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:34 EST »

Looks like it's a done deal. Arkansas AD Jeff Long tweeted earlier that Mizzou would be in the east, at least initially, and Richt said that placing Mizzou in the east "made the most sense"...note the past tense.

It's the only thing that does make sense. All the current rivalries continue, plus Arkansas can play TAMU on an annual basis while making Missouri their yearly game from the opposite division...that makes more sense than the current Arkansas-South Carolina "rivalry."

Taht would seem to mean Tamu would play South Carolina, which makes less sense, but I guess they have to work it somehow.

Or would Tamu play Missouri to keep everything else the same?

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 01:53:34 EST »

Taht would seem to mean Tamu would play South Carolina, which makes less sense, but I guess they have to work it somehow.

Or would Tamu play Missouri to keep everything else the same?

My guess would be that the most likely scenario is that TAMU and Missouri play annually. It's just easier that way and it is somewhat of a rivalry already with both of them coming from the Big 12. I was just thinking that if the SEC wants to mix it up a bit, there's potential there for another good conference rivalry.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 03:28:54 EST »

My guess would be that the most likely scenario is that TAMU and Missouri play annually. It's just easier that way and it is somewhat of a rivalry already with both of them coming from the Big 12. I was just thinking that if the SEC wants to mix it up a bit, there's potential there for another good conference rivalry.

I agree that South Carolina and Arkansas is an "unatural" rivalry, but at the same time it kind of makes sense to match "the new guys".

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 04:22:04 EST »

There's speculation among the Florida media that UF and aTm will get a permanant game.  Sure, let's just give the two schools with the biggest built-in recruiting advantages a semi-annual game in each other's backyard.  Plus, UF gets to drop a much tougher annual game with LSU.  I would expect nothing less from Foley's puppet in Birmingham.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 07:51:20 EST »

There's speculation among the Florida media that UF and aTm will get a permanant game.  Sure, let's just give the two schools with the biggest built-in recruiting advantages a semi-annual game in each other's backyard.  Plus, UF gets to drop a much tougher annual game with LSU.  I would expect nothing less from Foley's puppet in Birmingham.

That would not make sense, hope its wrong.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: