VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 08:46:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I wonder if Joe Paterno is involved in the scandal at Penn State?  (Read 15337 times)
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 04:38:37 EST »

I have gone back and forth about whether to post on this topic or not considering the way the thread is going.  However, I will say what I heard on the radio this morning from a Penn State fan makes me wonder about the situation.  According to this guy, it took the Penn St AD 10 days to interview anyone about this situation.  10 days!  Something this serious, the AD should have interviewed people within 10 minutes, not days.  Also, something this serious, the AD should have turned it over to the Police to investigate since they know how to handle these types of situations.

Rather Joe Pa did everything legally that he should isn't the real question here.  When he heard that something like this was going on, he should have been morally obligated to report it to the Police.  If coaches from Ohio St, Miami, etc are forced to resign because of things that aren't nearly as serious as this situation, then Joe Pa should be forced to resign too.  Just my two cents....

By the way, the Penn St fan I mentioned above was very upset that the officials at Penn St handled this situation the way it did. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 04:51:37 EST »

My two cents..

I've never cared one way or the other about Joe Pa.  I always had a respect for his longevity, and that's about it.  Even if he did all he was legally required to do, I think his failure to go above and beyond his legal requirements is embarrassing and shameful enough that he should step down. 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 07:50:45 EST »

Rape is actually considered in TN as the forcible penetration of a sexual nature with another person.  This is direct form a criminal attorney of the highest repute and this is where Tony was going.  Rape is not just a sexual act like oral sex.  Sexual Battery defines the other cases where there was not penetration of the person (and this is all per a criminal attorney here in Knoxville.)  We were discussing this and what Sandusky should be accussed of (if he was arrested in TN) is Sexual Battery and Sexual Predator.  When the person is below the age of 17 in TN the person comitting the offense is also potentially charged wiht the Sexual Predator portion of the Statues.  They may not call it that in the statues but that is what it really is. 

Tony was and is correct in what he was stating......and he was not arguing on the requirements of letting JoePa off the hook as well as the PSU authorities he was just stating that you were in error concerning the legal definitions you were throwing out. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 08:00:02 EST »

Tony was and is correct in what he was stating......and he was not arguing on the requirements of letting JoePa off the hook as well as the PSU authorities he was just stating that you were in error concerning the legal definitions you were throwing out. 

I know he wasn't arguing that Paterno or anyone else should be off the hook.

But I can't let you sit there and tell me I was in error when I know I am right. My pride won't allow it.  If Sandusky's alleged actions with the 10-yr-old had occurred in TN, he would almost certainly be charged with rape of a child. You're correct that rape requires penetration...and that was what is alleged with Sandusky. The GA supposedly walked in and saw him sodomizing the kid. If you go back and read the statutes that were posted by TRO as well as myself, they read that if penetration is involved, whether or not it was technically consensual, it's statutory rape if the victim is under the age of 17 but at least 13, aggravated statutory rape if the perpetrator is at least 10 yrs older than the victim, and child rape if the victim is under the age of 13.

I'm not an attorney, but I do cover criminal court proceedings on a weekly basis in an area where child abuse is way too common. I see these indictments handed down and plea deals made all the time. If an abuser has actual sex with a child under the age of 13, regardless of whether it was consensual, it falls under the statute as child rape. If it's just fondling or some other sex act, it falls under sexual battery and other charges. It may be that every prosecutor in TN wouldn't seek an indictment on those exact charges, but I think most do - and I know the ones I'm familiar with do.

So, anyway, all of that really has absolutely no bearing on what happened in Pennsylvania. I merely brought all of it up because that was the basis of my describing Sandusky's actions as "rape" earlier in the thread, and I thought TRO was telling my I was being hyperbolic (though in hindsight I really don't think he was).
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 09:14:02 EST »

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/08/penn-states-paterno-faces-pressure-to-quit-over-sex-abuse-case/?hpt=hp_c3

My two cents..

I've never cared one way or the other about Joe Pa.  I always had a respect for his longevity, and that's about it.  Even if he did all he was legally required to do, I think his failure to go above and beyond his legal requirements is embarrassing and shameful enough that he should step down. 

Agree 100%..............................how could you be a moral person and just let it go no where?   

Go Big Orange.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: