VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 02:17:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay, so I've got the blu-ray itch..  (Read 24234 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 06:16:14 EST »

Lord yes.  I'm not even a Tolkien geek- never read any of the books, but I think it's the greatest cinematic achievement to date. 

I have read the LOTR books, and just started reading the Hobbit. My daughter read it already and says it's good, not as good as LOTR. Peter jackson is filming the Hobbit now, and it's due for a dec 2012 release I think
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 06:17:01 EST »

Ahem... 

don't waste time, see it now. You are missing out on a masterpiece

CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 02:00:03 EST »

I finally gave in and bought the Star Wars collection on blu-ray.  Any other blu-rays that are "must-haves" that you guys own?

I know I'm going to get ripped for this but I still have never seen any LOTR movies.  But I see the extended versions of the blu ray collection was finally released.  I'm tempted to buy it without having even seen them, going by how they are described in the same vein as Star Wars in regards to their epicness.

Did you call your doctor.  I hope it's not contagious.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 02:24:00 EST »

Peter jackson is filming the Hobbit now, and it's due for a dec 2012 release I think

I'm pretty pumped about this. There were rumors for several years before it became a reality. A lot of my friends read The Hobbit when they were kids, but I did not . . . I didn't read it until the release of the LOTR movies (when I also started reading those books, but got bogged down and quit halfway through The Two Towers.)

Vinnie, I will back up what everyone else has said. If you like epic cinema, you will like LOTR. "Epic" has never been done better, IMO.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 04:08:52 EST »

I'm pretty pumped about this. There were rumors for several years before it became a reality. A lot of my friends read The Hobbit when they were kids, but I did not . . . I didn't read it until the release of the LOTR movies (when I also started reading those books, but got bogged down and quit halfway through The Two Towers.)

Vinnie, I will back up what everyone else has said. If you like epic cinema, you will like LOTR. "Epic" has never been done better, IMO.

So THAT'S when it's coming out.  I was thinking it was March.  Hey, I have plenty of time to finish the PS2 game "The Hobbit" I bought for $2.99 at Gamestop.      I got about halfway through and got bored with it.  It's kind of geared towards younger kids I think, but still playable.  I will get around to finishing it at some point, and then I MIGHT contemplate getting a new console.  Or not.  Not a huge priority for me.

I didn't own a Blu-Ray until earlier this year, when one happened to come with my new laptop.  Still have not used it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 04:46:31 EST »

don't waste time, see it now. You are missing out on a masterpiece

Just not my thing, I'm afraid. I'm pretty particular about the movies I watch. I actually did start one of them once but just couldn't get into it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 04:57:45 EST »

Just not my thing, I'm afraid. I'm pretty particular about the movies I watch. I actually did start one of them once but just couldn't get into it.

It's not really my thing, either.  I never played Dungeons and Dragons as a kid.  I'm not into elves and wizards and all that crap, and I've never seen one minute of a Harry Potter movie.  And yet while I wouldn't say that LOTR is my favorite movie(s) of all time, it is certainly the most captivating.  If you have the least bit of appreciation for quality filmmaking, you owe it to yourself to see it.  And as Volznut said, the first hour or so of the first movie is kind of slow.  Don't give up on it.  It only gets better.  And each of the three films is better than the last.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 05:07:57 EST »

It's not really my thing, either.  I never played Dungeons and Dragons as a kid.  I'm not into elves and wizards and all that crap, and I've never seen one minute of a Harry Potter movie.  And yet while I wouldn't say that LOTR is my favorite movie(s) of all time, it is certainly the most captivating.  If you have the least bit of appreciation for quality filmmaking, you owe it to yourself to see it.  And as Volznut said, the first hour or so of the first movie is kind of slow.  Don't give up on it.  It only gets better.  And each of the three films is better than the last.

Same here. I have never finished the books. I bought the book trilogy after the movies came out and like Clocky I got hung up about halfway though the second one. But the movie trilogy is a masterpiece. From the final battle scene at the end of TT to the scene in ROTK where the Fellowship is battling the Orcs outside of Mordor's gates while Frodo is battling himself and Gollum inside of Mt. Doom is some of the most captivating film making ever IMHO. It's not just a fantasy movie, it's a multi-leveled complex story with many, many subplots.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 05:50:22 EST »

It's not really my thing, either.  I never played Dungeons and Dragons as a kid.  I'm not into elves and wizards and all that crap, and I've never seen one minute of a Harry Potter movie.  And yet while I wouldn't say that LOTR is my favorite movie(s) of all time, it is certainly the most captivating.  If you have the least bit of appreciation for quality filmmaking, you owe it to yourself to see it.  And as Volznut said, the first hour or so of the first movie is kind of slow.  Don't give up on it.  It only gets better.  And each of the three films is better than the last.

Oh that note, I would recommend giving the Harry Potter movies a chance. I started watching them when my daughter did four years ago, and I was hooked. They're actually pretty good. Not LOTR good, but good.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 06:08:46 EST »

I'm surprised you made it past the scene with the giant spider.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 07:00:30 EST »

I'm surprised you made it past the scene with the giant spider.

Let's just say both sequences in Shelob's cave made me . . . uncomfortable. 

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 07:05:19 EST »

Oh that note, I would recommend giving the Harry Potter movies a chance. I started watching them when my daughter did four years ago, and I was hooked. They're actually pretty good. Not LOTR good, but good.

I like them too. I guess I must be into the fantasy genre at least a little to appreciate both of those like I do, but for me it's more about getting immersed into a different world created by the writer/director/actors. That's part of the reason I tend to like big, epic movies . . . they tend to be epic because the world in which the story takes place demands time to be set up. That can also cause a slow start, as you noted about Fellowship.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 03:33:09 EST »

I am about halfway through the Hobbit, and it's a much more linear, less complex story. It's basically a fantasy adventure, but it lacks the character development of LOTR, and the emotional aspects.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 04:53:18 EST »

I read the LOTR as a kid and it was and is one of my favorite books.  I was into Sci Fi and comic books as a kid, so it was a natural fix.  I was not as into DnD, though I did play it a few times with friends. It just never really appealed to me.  I liked the genre of fantasy, but not nearly as much as Sci Fi.  I prefer my fiction to be more reality based, I suppose.  I tended to like the "harder" sci fi like Isaac Asimov, who was my favorite Sci Fi author, but I was also into Dune a bit.

Anyway, the LOTR is one of the best pure stories around IMO, and just happens to be in the fantasy genre.  That's how I see it. 

But man...if you think the MOVIES start slow, the first 5-6 chapters of the Fellowship of the Ring are some of the slowest reading chapters anywhere.  If you think the first movie started slowly, you should see all the stuff they left out, lol!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 05:41:38 EST »

Am I the only person who doesn't have a Blu Ray player?

Don't worry.  The vast majority of all broadcasts are only at best done in 720p.  BR is only a factor if you watch a BR movie.  My dvd collection has very few of those.  You ain't late for this party.  I figure most here are victims of the 'keeping up the the Joneses' phenomenon.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:42 EST »

But man...if you think the MOVIES start slow, the first 5-6 chapters of the Fellowship of the Ring are some of the slowest reading chapters anywhere.  If you think the first movie started slowly, you should see all the stuff they left out, lol!

I know, I have read them - but in a book it's ok, because I want the book to have that kind of detail.

Believe it or not, having read the entire Harry Potter series, I really think it's one of the best fantasy series ever written. The movies don't do the books justice IMO. JK Rowling knows how to develop a story.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 09:11:57 EST »

So THAT'S when it's coming out.  I was thinking it was March.  Hey, I have plenty of time to finish the PS2 game "The Hobbit" I bought for $2.99 at Gamestop.     I got about halfway through and got bored with it.  It's kind of geared towards younger kids I think, but still playable.  I will get around to finishing it at some point, and then I MIGHT contemplate getting a new console.  Or not.  Not a huge priority for me.

I didn't own a Blu-Ray until earlier this year, when one happened to come with my new laptop.  Still have not used it.  

Just read that the Hobbit will be released in 2 movies. dec 14 2012 will be "An unexpected journey", and dec 13 2013 will be "there and back again". They're planning to add some content that is not in the book. I figured that was the case since Frodo, Legolas are not in the book, but are in the movie.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 09:30:17 EST »

I like them too. I guess I must be into the fantasy genre at least a little to appreciate both of those like I do, but for me it's more about getting immersed into a different world created by the writer/director/actors. That's part of the reason I tend to like big, epic movies . . . they tend to be epic because the world in which the story takes place demands time to be set up. That can also cause a slow start, as you noted about Fellowship.

The first two HP movies are Really geared towards kids, but the mood of the movies gets progressively darker as they move along. The last three movies are not really for children under 10.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 01:04:39 EST »

Don't worry.  The vast majority of all broadcasts are only at best done in 720p.  BR is only a factor if you watch a BR movie.  My dvd collection has very few of those.  You ain't late for this party.  I figure most here are victims of the 'keeping up the the Joneses' phenomenon.

Lol, keeping up with the joneses?  Watching an epic moment in a movie in 1080p clarity with deep and rich sounds swirling all around you 7 surround speakers and the subwoofer booming the lows is hardly about keeping up with the joneses.  720p is nice, but 1080p.. it AIN'T.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 03:41:19 EST »

I know, I have read them - but in a book it's ok, because I want the book to have that kind of detail.

Believe it or not, having read the entire Harry Potter series, I really think it's one of the best fantasy series ever written. The movies don't do the books justice IMO. JK Rowling knows how to develop a story.

I don't particularly care for Harry Potter, but in 2008 I spent the night in a friend's guest room due to the power outage.  She had a Harry Potter book in there.  I think it was the 5th one, Society of the Phoenix or whatever.  I could not put it down.  At that point the series was on 6 of 7.  I read not only that book but the other 6 in a month (going back to the first book, of course).  I still don't completely like the character, but man you are right.  She can weave a tale.  I don't know exactly how, haven't bothered to try and figure it out, but the books are spell-binding.

Maybe there is something to the Christians who say Harry Potter is about black magic?  Maybe there is a spell on the books! (LOL!  Just kidding....)

I would recommend the books to anyone, whether they like fantasy or not.  They are really hard to put down.  JK Rowling is IMO really egotistical, but she CAN write. 

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 04:13:03 EST »

Lol, keeping up with the joneses?  Watching an epic moment in a movie in 1080p clarity with deep and rich sounds swirling all around you 7 surround speakers and the subwoofer booming the lows is hardly about keeping up with the joneses.  720p is nice, but 1080p.. it AIN'T.   

at the "joneses" comment. If someone needs a DVD player nowadays, they buy a BluRay since it will play both. They are cheap. It's the standard technology.

3D... now THAT'S keeping up with the joneses, IMNSHO.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 05:00:08 EST »

Also, ditto your statement on Harmony remotes.  I was slow to jump on the Harmony bandwagon, but since I did.. I don't know how I ever lived without it.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 05:39:22 EST »

DVD PLayer Cost: 45
BluRay Player Cost (Standard): 70

Let me see...buy 20 year old tech or buy 5 year old tech....duh (homer simpson voice)   

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 05:39:57 EST »

Also, ditto your statement on Harmony remotes.  I was slow to jump on the Harmony bandwagon, but since I did.. I don't know how I ever lived without it.

You got up and walked over and changed the channel with your fingers......   

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 06:09:56 EST »

DVD PLayer Cost: 45
BluRay Player Cost (Standard): 70

Let me see...buy 20 year old tech or buy 5 year old tech....duh (homer simpson voice)   

It's about not buying anything.  The next one I buy will be BR.  It will also be wireless and stream netflix (and everything else) directly from my router.  As of now, my existing players work great.  I won't toss them just to get a small improvement.  Heck, I skipped the whole Windows Vista experience and jumped straight to Windows 7 and I didn't miss anything except the hassles that everyone else had to go through who did buy it.  Once again, BR ain't done yet. 

I will second the Harmony remote though.  I have one and it works great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: