VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 04:05:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vols did not "catch a break" vs Vandy  (Read 2932 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2011, 04:08:53 EST »

I have been seeing some comments like the Vols caught a break on the last play because they reviewed the play after the whistle blew.

They did not. If anything, Vandy ALMOST caught a break  - a break they should not have. The play was a clean pick 6 by EG, and the Ref was totally standing there and is either blind or clueless because he blew the whistle and they called it a "fumble and knee down". Then when they saw it and knew they had to review, the head ref makes it a point to announce "the whistle did not blow".

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 04:11:57 EST »

The break was that they reviewed a non-reviewable play and that the official who obviously blew the whistle chose to tell the ref that he didn't blow it, or the ref chose to ignore that.

In the end, they got it right in spite of all the whining and gnashing of teeth by UT haters everywhere. Besides, without Tyler throwing two bad picks we beat them soundly... I'm sick of hearing Vandy act like they gave the game to UT... both teams made horrendous mistakes.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 04:49:12 EST »

The refs got it right....they had to fudge on the technicality of the rule of a whistle being blown, but they got it right in the end. The camera angle from the south endzone while Gordon was returning the pick clearly shows which official blew the whistle and marked where he thought Gordon's knee went down.  I think the explanation of Vandy almost getting a break makes more sense. They were not put at a disadvantage because there was no Vandy player anywhere close to where the whistle made any difference.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 04:50:10 EST »

The refs got it right....they had to fudge on the technicality of the rule of a whistle being blown, but they got it right in the end. The camera angle from the south endzone while Gordon was returning the pick clearly shows which official blew the whistle and marked where he thought Gordon's knee went down.  I think the explanation of Vandy almost getting a break makes more sense. They were not put at a disadvantage because there was no Vandy player anywhere close to where the whistle made any difference.

The break that UT caught is that the refs didn't fizzle it up in the end even though they took the "two wrongs make a right" path to get it right.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 05:04:41 EST »

I can buy that. They caught a break in the administration of the game by the officials, but not on the field of play between the two teams.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 05:09:35 EST »

I can buy that. They caught a break in the administration of the game by the officials, but not on the field of play between the two teams.

Correct.

If one wanted to make a case that UT caught a break on the field, it was the two Vandy missed FGs or the horrendous clip on the big play. But Tyler throwing the two bad picks were breaks for Vandy. All that stuff sort of evens out. The game ended the way it was supposed to according to the way it played out.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 08:47:15 EST »

Yeah, you could see the whistle from multiple angles, lol.  However, I didn't see a shred of evidence that any Vandy player quit trying, there just were not any near Gordon.   

I look at it this way...the head ref chose to IGNORE the whistle.   Whether he has a right to do so or not is almost immaterial IMO.  Justice was served.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: