VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 04:04:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I now hope Derek Dooley succeeds more than ever  (Read 7332 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:08:02 EST »

Of course I want him to win here. Besides the fact that he's our coach, I like what he says and the way he conducts himself.

But I want him to succeed if for no other reason than to shut that asshat Clay Travis up. Seeing someone tweet his columns is like passing a wreck on the interstate. Don't wanna look, but gotta. What a buffoon the guy is. I don't think there's ever been anyone in the history of sports who I would like to kick in the nuts any more than Clay Travis.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:20:18 EST »

Clay Travis is trying to get Barbara Dooley to come on his radio show.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:40:05 EST »

I hope Barbara Dooley kicks him in the nuts.

I have to call Mrs. Dooley's PR handler later today to set up a telephone interview with her in advance of her appearance at our Boys & Girls Club here next week. I think I'll just ask her to go do it. She can get the access and lord knows she has the sauce to do so. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:25:04 EST »

I haven't been reading his stuff.  I do know he is a huge Vol fan.  His thought process might be that he thinks he is motivating Dooley.  If so, he should admit when he is wrong, early and often.  Could be he is just trying to up ratings, who knows, intent is almost impossible to judge.

I share some concerns about some things that Dooley has done, but it is far, far, too early to completely pass judgement.  Even if Dooley has erred on some things, we need to have patience and see if he can't at least learn from his mistakes.

It's also very true that he has faced considerable adversity, including a very depleted roster, one of the toughest schedules in the country, and a simply awful injury situation.

How well Dooley is doing cannot be truly judged without another season or even two of evidence.  Until that time, Clay should back off or even STFU.  IMO.

Now I should go and read more of his stuff, I suppose.  LOL!  (I did read his column yesterday...I am assuming another is out today).

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:26:11 EST »

I haven't been reading his stuff.  I do know he is a huge Vol fan.  His thought process might be that he thinks he is motivating Dooley.  If so, he should admit when he is wrong, early and often.  Could be he is just trying to up ratings, who knows, intent is almost impossible to judge.

I share some concerns about some things that Dooley has done, but it is far, far, too early to completely pass judgement.  Even if Dooley has erred on some things, we need to have patience and see if he can't at least learn from his mistakes.

It's also very true that he has faced considerable adversity, including a very depleted roster, one of the toughest schedules in the country, and a simply awful injury situation.

How well Dooley is doing cannot be truly judged without another season or even two of evidence.  Until that time, Clay should back off or even STFU.  IMO.

Now I should go and read more of his stuff, I suppose.  LOL!  (I did read his column yesterday...I am assuming another is out today).

He is no longer a huge Vol fan. He is a huge Clay Travis fan and nothing more.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:32:52 EST »

He is no longer a huge Vol fan. He is a huge Clay Travis fan and nothing more.

This...no one loves the sound of their own voice more than Clay Travis.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 08:34:45 EST »

This...no one loves the sound of their own voice more than Clay Travis.

The only "media" personality I know that gives him a run for his money is Finebaum who also happens to be a fallen-from-grace Vol... although he is an alum where Travis started at UT but finished at Vandy and went to law school at GW.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 08:41:07 EST »

The only "media" personality I know that gives him a run for his money is Finebaum who also happens to be a fallen-from-grace Vol... although he is an alum where Travis started at UT but finished at Vandy and went to law school at GW.

Travis is starting to remind me of Finebaum, that's for sure.  If it turns out his ratings are driven by vandy fans, look out. 

OTOH, he has shown signs at least in the past of being an unabashed UT fan, but I don't EVER recall Finebaum saying ANYTHING nice about UT.

I have a work colleague that knows Kessling and Finebaum from UT days in Hess Hall, of all things.  Has some interesting things to say about Finebaum, but I will keep those to myself for now.   

I'll give a hint though...according to my buddy, Finebaum was a huge pessimist on life in general.   Big surprise, huh?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:06:10 EST »

Travis is starting to remind me of Finebaum, that's for sure.  If it turns out his ratings are driven by vandy fans, look out. 

OTOH, he has shown signs at least in the past of being an unabashed UT fan, but I don't EVER recall Finebaum saying ANYTHING nice about UT.

I have a work colleague that knows Kessling and Finebaum from UT days in Hess Hall, of all things.  Has some interesting things to say about Finebaum, but I will keep those to myself for now.   

I'll give a hint though...according to my buddy, Finebaum was a huge pessimist on life in general.   Big surprise, huh?   
The Zoo eh - that explains a lot ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 09:07:04 EST »

Clay was a huge UT fan before. He specifically was a huge Fulmer fan. For all I know he may still privately root for Tennessee unabashedly like he did in his blog days, but in his public persona, he plays the other side and it's because he knows he can stir UT fans up and get hits, calls, and ratings.

His biggest failing is that he consistently opines on stuff that hasn't even happened yet. He spent a solid hour on the radio one day last month going off on Dooley about wearing black for South Carolina.... something that never happened and was never going to happen. He spent an hour bashing a coach regarding an Internet rumor. Then the following week, not a peep, not an admission of anything.

Last week he had Dooley out the door because Vandy would win. I didn't blame him for his opinion on that one as I thought Vandy would win too, but I'm not a "journalist".

Then Sunday he tweeted something about if Dooley beats Kentucky the Dooley homers are going to carry him off the field and tear down the goalposts. Again, being wildly sensational about something that hasn't happened and won't happen.

He's a ridiculous egomaniac. I used to find him hilarious when he wrote mostly for fun. Now he takes himself too seriously, and he definitely targets UT because anti-UT stuff moves the needle.

TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 09:56:32 EST »

Clay Travis is a fan of the train that is moving the fastest in sports.  When UT is playing well next year, he will jump on and try to dust off all of his Vol love like it never went away.  Look at Vandy, he has been quick to pull that card and they will barely win 6 games if they are lucky.  Think what he will do when UT is headed to the SECCG.  Offer to drive the bus?  I once liked his sense of humor and views but no longer.  I don't necessarily like Plaster, but I hope he comes back and the new 102.5 puts the 3HL crew on the street.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 09:57:34 EST »

Clay Travis is a fan of the train that is moving the fastest in sports.  When UT is playing well next year, he will jump on and try to dust off all of his Vol love like it never went away.  Look at Vandy, he has been quick to pull that card and they will barely win 6 games if they are lucky.  Think what he will do when UT is headed to the SECCG.  Offer to drive the bus?  I once liked his sense of humor and views but no longer.  I don't necessarily like Plaster, but I hope he comes back and the new 102.5 puts the 3HL crew on the street.

I like the other two guys on the 3HL crew, I just wish that Dougherty wouldn't let Franklin call in whenever he wants.

Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 10:06:10 EST »

I've never listened to the guy but from what I've read he's following the Finebaum model. He seems to be for one team for a while and then getting that fanbase fired up while ticking another off. Then after a while seemingly turn on that fan base in favor of the former fanbase. He has done this well with Bama/auburn.

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 10:07:39 EST »

I like the other two guys on the 3HL crew, I just wish that Dougherty wouldn't let Franklin call in whenever he wants.
104.5 in general love him....the morning show races to see who will get their knees dirty for him when he calls in.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:09 EST »

104.5 in general love him....the morning show races to see who will get their knees dirty for him when he calls in.

That station's last hope is Witherow and Hutton. Witherow has already tweeted something about it being ridiculous for Franklin to be irritated at Dooley in light of Franklin's actions ON THE FIELD at the end of the game.

Quasi EVol
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 12:32:31 EST »

Travis is starting to remind me of Finebaum, that's for sure.  If it turns out his ratings are driven by vandy fans, look out....

Travis' ratings cannot be driven by Vandy fans because there are probably more than eight listeners. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 05:39:25 EST »

Travis' ratings cannot be driven by Vandy fans because there are probably more than eight listeners. 

LOL!  Well to hear it from our Middle Tennessee posters they are coming out of the woodworks this year.  I think it might actually be true that there are more vandy fans in Nashville than UT...they just don't go to the games.  Or more accurately, the combo of true vandy fans and those who simply dislike UT is probably a majority, if just barely.  Just MO based on visiting there and reading their media though.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 12:22:05 EST »

LOL!  Well to hear it from our Middle Tennessee posters they are coming out of the woodworks this year.  I think it might actually be true that there are more vandy fans in Nashville than UT...they just don't go to the games.  Or more accurately, the combo of true vandy fans and those who simply dislike UT is probably a majority, if just barely.  Just MO based on visiting there and reading their media though.

People are calling the shows saying they are UT fans but then talk about how awesome James Franklin is and I am thinking BS you are a UT fan.  I guess I need to quit listening to 104.5 all together.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 02:32:26 EST »

Of course I want him to win here. Besides the fact that he's our coach, I like what he says and the way he conducts himself.

But I want him to succeed if for no other reason than to shut that asshat Clay Travis up. Seeing someone tweet his columns is like passing a wreck on the interstate. Don't wanna look, but gotta. What a buffoon the guy is. I don't think there's ever been anyone in the history of sports who I would like to kick in the nuts any more than Clay Travis.

Vuck Fandy!!!! 

I must say that the Vandy doctors are really good at what they do but they can't play football worth a DAMN!!!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: