VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 09:13:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music City Bowl  (Read 5883 times)
Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2011, 02:55:15 EST »

I have some ties thru work to the MCB if what I hear last night is true I believe the prefer match up if it can be worked out would be UT VS Ga Tech. The same person told me about week ahead of time UT VS UNC last year. Of course UT must Win, and I think a Ga Tech W over UGA might push them up the bowl picking order in the ACC.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:21:11 EST »

I have some ties thru work to the MCB if what I hear last night is true I believe the prefer match up if it can be worked out would be UT VS Ga Tech. The same person told me about week ahead of time UT VS UNC last year. Of course UT must Win, and I think a Ga Tech W over UGA might push them up the bowl picking order in the ACC.

I've read GT would probably go to that bowl in Charlotte win or lose to UGA and NC State,Wake Forest or Virginia might be the teams possibly playing Tennessee in the MCB

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 04:04:56 EST »

CBS sportsline is predicting UT-GT in the MCB

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 04:20:45 EST »

My gut feeling is GT's offense would give us serious problems.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 04:26:25 EST »

GT would seriously test Tennessee's inconsistant run defense
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:34:38 EST by ChatsworthVol » Logged

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 04:27:00 EST »

Not sure about that. I think a great passing team like Houston would give us problems, but a predominantly running team we could scheme to slow down. I know we don't see the option much, but we'd have some time to prepare.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 04:42:17 EST »

Not sure about that. I think a great passing team like Houston would give us problems, but a predominantly running team we could scheme to slow down. I know we don't see the option much, but we'd have some time to prepare.

I agree with this. Contrary to what I anticipated going into the year, our run defense has been mostly OK. I think our linebackers and DL would fit well against the option.

If that matchup comes to fruition it is too bad that Brewer is out for the year... he would be a great safety to play against that offense.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 04:42:32 EST »

I'm just thinking of our youth and inexperience.. They will have to do a good job and stick to their assignments.  It just concerns me that we never see that type of offense. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 04:49:58 EST »

There's a possibilty we could also play NC state or UVA

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 05:21:55 EST »

I think a match-up with Virginia would be appealing to the MCB and media. It plays on Dooley battling his alma mater and both being up and coming teams.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 05:33:53 EST »

I agree.  Tech would kill us.  We have had massive failures in pursuit and tackling this season, and a well trained, extremely well coached running offense would exploit that.  Plus, we have shown the tendency to wear down in the second half, and that would play right into the hands of tech.  They just might be running at will in the 4th quarter.  We would be too exhausted to stop them - we just don't have the depth.

OTOH, we did hold Richardson to 77 yds, so maybe there is hope.  Tech's passing game is pretty weak.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 06:31:27 EST »

While I agree we've been good against traditional running offenses.. Look what happened when teams started doing the shotgun/read-draw play or whatever its called.  We stuffed LSU's traditional running game in the first half, but they adjusted and that read-draw is basically all they ran in the 2nd half and we couldn't get their offense off the field.  Same with South Carolina.

So what in the world would make anyone think we could stop a very well coached triple option attack?

If I'm Paul Johnson, I'm seeing those games on film and I'm licking my chops.  I do NOT want to see GT in a bowl.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 06:51:11 EST »

While I agree we've been good against traditional running offenses.. Look what happened when teams started doing the shotgun/read-draw play or whatever its called.  We stuffed LSU's traditional running game in the first half, but they adjusted and that read-draw is basically all they ran in the 2nd half and we couldn't get their offense off the field.  Same with South Carolina.

So what in the world would make anyone think we could stop a very well coached triple option attack?

If I'm Paul Johnson, I'm seeing those games on film and I'm licking my chops.  I do NOT want to see GT in a bowl.

I'd say it's because they adjusted. GT runs one offense....you have to be ready for it. They're not going to adjust and run something else. Our staff has done a good job being ready for offenses, just not good or deep enough to keep up in the second half.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 02:43:58 EST »

I'd say it's because they adjusted. GT runs one offense....you have to be ready for it. They're not going to adjust and run something else. Our staff has done a good job being ready for offenses, just not good or deep enough to keep up in the second half.
The tackles have to stop the dive, the end/OLB stop the QB and the OLB/corner stop the pitch on the basic option.  Their other main play is the dive/fly sweep/QB option off tackle option, which would be more difficult to defend IMO.  Both are very defendable with our base package where our freshman LBs are an asset against this style of offense.  The lack of Brewer hurts.  We need both safeties to step up and trust our corners on their islands against the limited passing game.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 02:49:37 EST »

The tackles have to stop the dive, the end/OLB stop the QB and the OLB/corner stop the pitch on the basic option.  Their other main play is the dive/fly sweep/QB option off tackle option, which would be more difficult to defend IMO.  Both are very defendable with our base package where our freshman LBs are an asset against this style of offense.  The lack of Brewer hurts.  We need both safeties to step up and trust our corners on their islands against the limited passing game.
Beat UK first and foremost and stomp on their kittties then worry about a bowl!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: