VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 03:39:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vols got a new RB commitment  (Read 12987 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 04:22:11 EST »

Yes, this subject fires me up a lot.  I am sick and tired of every time an issue is brought up that involves a non-white player, that the rednecks being racist is always commented by Volznut....every time...this has nothing to do with color or race, if this were the whitest kid on the team, everyone would have the exact same opinion....race is not an issue.  having an opinion on a message board is one thing but with nut bringing this up every time, it goes way beyond that. this is a kid with an attitude problem and needing to know how to be a team player, not a race problem.  

He did not make it solely about race, mentioning California kids and two white west coasters by name. Race is a portion of it, but he was talking about a much larger cultural divide.

Does 'nut bring this up "every time"? Really?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 04:23:32 EST »

No offense to 'Nut, but I thought it's a pretty baseless assumption myself. I grew up in one of, if not THE, biggest redneck counties in Tennessee, and spiked hair was all the fad when I was in 5th grade. I had a spike myself. I've never heard any redneck say anything about spiked hair. Frosted hair on a guy, maybe. But not spiked hair.

And there have been lots of UT athletes from California. Tyler Bray is from California.

JP Prince didn't have a lot of tattoos or anything like that. OTOH, Bobby Maze was covered in tattoos and I never heard any of UT's "redneck" fans complaining about him.

The conservative/redneck equation is interesting.

So did I dude. I grew up in Morristown. I have had First hand experience with all kinds of racism/bigotry growing up. No offense to you, as I like you and I am sure you are a nice guy, but I don't speak of redneck experiences with a lot of fondness.  I am not sure that being a white guy growing up in a redneck country in TN you would experience what I did, as it is anything but "baseless" for me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:25:31 EST by Volznut » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 04:30:11 EST »

and this kinda makes my point.....

"This is the same guy who was arrested and I saw the pic of him leaving the jail with him Damn shorts hanging off his ass..........................oh yeah and the fact that he wants to talk shizzle after every catch,"
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 04:37:00 EST »

So did I dude. I grew up in Morristown. I have had First hand experience with all kinds of racism/bigotry growing up. No offense to you, as I like you and I am sure you are a nice guy, but I don't speak of redneck experiences with a lot of fondness.  I am not sure that being a white guy growing up in a redneck country in TN you would experience what I did, as it is anything but "baseless" for me.

This makes mine!

Go Big Orange.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 04:37:20 EST »

I think in some cases maybe the cocky black athletes do rub some people the wrong way.  We don't really have a TO or Ochocinco situation here though.  Far from it.  I actually think TO was far worse than Ocho anyway.  TO was at a whole level by himself.

How can you unequivocally state that we don't have a bad locker room situation like a TO here?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 04:38:00 EST »

I think in some cases maybe the cocky black athletes do rub some people the wrong way.  We don't really have a TO or Ochocinco situation here though.  Far from it.  I actually think TO was far worse than Ocho anyway.  TO was at a whole level by himself.

what people? I don't have a problem with it. I don't come from that culture, but you have to understand the background some of the kids come from. To me it's ok to show some cockiness and swagger on the field, as long as it's celebratory and not blatantly unsportsmanlike (throat slash, taunting). I think if people tried to understand why some athletes do exhibit some of this on the field instead of immediately dismissing it as thuggish, it would do them some good. Just my opinion though.

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 04:38:16 EST »

and this kinda makes my point.....

"This is the same guy who was arrested and I saw the pic of him leaving the jail with him Damn shorts hanging off his ass..........................oh yeah and the fact that he wants to talk shizzle after every catch,"

This has to do with representing himself and UT.........................some people obviously have HIGHER STANDARDS THAN OTHERS!

Go Big Orange.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 04:39:12 EST »

This makes mine!

I don't get it. What would that be?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 04:41:00 EST »

Thread is getting personal. Enough.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: