VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 04:32:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I gotta question for the nerds...  (Read 3207 times)
VOLveeta
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:20:11 EDT »

Do any of you guys use blu-ray for archival storage of photos and stuff?  Any feedback?  Is it stable?  Are the new readers fast enough not to make you agonize waiting for half an hour like my crappy dual layer reader?   

Thanks!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:07:01 EDT »

I've never tried blu ray, but is there any reason you can't use an external hard drive?

VOLveeta
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:49:10 EDT »

Well... I'm archiving hundreds of thousands of photos and I'm already running three external hard drives at 6 terrabytes.  I need to store these in a safe place and not have to worry about a hard drive fail.
Quasi EVol
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 10:42:23 EDT »

Well... I'm archiving hundreds of thousands of photos and I'm already running three external hard drives at 6 terrabytes.  I need to store these in a safe place and not have to worry about a hard drive fail.

6TB?!  You probably need to be more selective of your subject matter! 

VOLveeta
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:13:21 EDT »

Um...

http://www.treadshots.com

It's my living. 
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:08:20 EDT »

You can store a large volume of data on Blu-ray, but recordable Blu-Ray discs and Blu-Ray recorder are not cheap.  Either way, the time to read all that data either on double-sided DVD or on Blu-ray is just a function of the volume of data on the disc.  If you have that much data (assume you shot in RAW), Blu-ray may be the way to go.  If it is your business, it is a business expense so go for it.
10EC
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 03:35:51 EDT »

Um...

http://www.treadshots.com

It's my living. 

I thought you were a roofer??   
VOLveeta
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:38:10 EDT »

I thought you were a roofer??   

Only onstage.   
Quasi EVol
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 04:03:37 EDT »

Honestly, why not buy more external hard drives?  2TBs are available for around $100 so you're looking at $300 to backup 6TB.  It would be a lot faster to find & restore the data and you can clear out & reuse the storage as needed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: