VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 12:38:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gators have lost Powell and Easley to ACL injuries  (Read 5362 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:03:25 EDT »

Not good for them at all, arguably their best two defensive players.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:08:26 EDT »

There's absolutely no excuse for us not to beat them this year.  I felt that before their injuries, and now I feel even more strongly about it.  That game will be a big early litmus test for Dooley.  If he loses that one, he might as well just go ahead and resign.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:47:44 EDT »

Yup, the UF game is it for Dooley.  If he loses to UF.. He's going to lose a majority of the fan base for good, myself included.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:52 EDT »

Yup, the UF game is it for Dooley.  If he loses to UF.. He's going to lose a majority of the fan base for good, myself included.

The NC state game will actually be the first test - IMO NC state comes into that game favored.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:13:24 EDT »

In spite of making ridiculous mistakes the entire game, we actually had a shot at them last year at their place.

Agree this is  a must win.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:58 EDT »

Yes, I'm aware we open with NC State.. But if we beat them and lose to UF, it's over.

If we lose to NC State and beat UF, I'd venture to guess he'll buy a bit more time with that.  (He would with me)

NC State would be a great game to win.  The UF game could seal his fate.  Of course winning the both would be great and losing both would bury him.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:38:38 EDT »

Yes, I'm aware we open with NC State.. But if we beat them and lose to UF, it's over.

If we lose to NC State and beat UF, I'd venture to guess he'll buy a bit more time with that.  (He would with me)

NC State would be a great game to win.  The UF game could seal his fate.  Of course winning the both would be great and losing both would bury him.

I think a win against NC state would give this team a huge boost and would go a long way to a victory vs the Gators. If we lost to NC state I think the psyche of this team and staff could fold. NC state is a huge game

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:29 EDT »

So was Cincy last year.  Wasn't a very good indicator, turns out.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:12:40 EDT »

I guess my point is, these "indicator" games are pretty meaningless at this point.  NC State isn't a signature win by any stretch.  Dooley has to get W's vs our rivals, it's just that simple.  We could romp NC State just like we did Cincy, but it's going to be pretty meaningless in the scope of Dooley's job security.  Don't get me wrong, I want to win them all..  But start beating our rivals or get out.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 10:27:47 EDT »

I guess my point is, these "indicator" games are pretty meaningless at this point.  NC State isn't a signature win by any stretch.  Dooley has to get W's vs our rivals, it's just that simple.  We could romp NC State just like we did Cincy, but it's going to be pretty meaningless in the scope of Dooley's job security.  Don't get me wrong, I want to win them all..  But start beating our rivals or get out.

Signature win, maybe not, but Dooley isn't in the same situation that he was in vs Cincy. Not to mention that it may have been an indicator if we keep Hunter healthy. Hunter was unstoppable before he got hurt. NC state returns a pretty veteran team and will be favored vs UT. We win - expecially if we win big, it will be huge, IMO.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 11:31:25 EDT »

You are both right. A win vs NCState to start off will help the players and team confidence. A win over rivals like UF and UGA will help Dooley.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 12:06:52 EDT »

Although a win over Florida would mean much more to me personally than a win over just about anyone else on our schedule, I have to think that the NC State game is the biggest game of the season at this point, for the simple reason that has already been mentioned here: come out and lose the season opener, and this team may fold before the season even gets going. Play well and beat NC State by a couple or three touchdowns, and that's a real momentum builder.

IMO, it isn't fair to look at the Cincinnati game last year and say that a beatdown of a good team isn't an indicator of a team's worth. We'll never know what might've happened if the injuries hadn't occurred. Although I think that team had serious issues that went far beyond injuries to a QB and star wideout, I still think UT would've been a 9-win team last year if those two injuries hadn't occurred.

Florida is a game Tennessee needs to win, but IMO it isn't a must-win game. If UT beats Florida but then turns around and finishes with a 5-7 record, is Dooley going to be secure in his job simply because he beat Florida? He shouldn't be, and I'd venture to say that he wouldn't be. On the other hand, what if UT loses to Florida but then goes on to beat Alabama? Or goes on to finish 9-3 or 10-2 despite losing to Florida?

Granted, the Florida game will probably be a decent indicator of where the team is...if Tennessee beats Florida, they probably aren't going to crash and burn later in the season, and losing to Florida is probably an indicator that a bowl bid is in jeopardy. I'm just saying...
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 01:21:19 EDT »

Maybe I'm in the minority in hanging so much on the UF game, but for me that's THE must win game.  We're at UGA and USC, and I don't see us beating Bama anytime soon.  UF is down and we've got them at home.  If not now, when?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 03:24:18 EDT »

Maybe I'm in the minority in hanging so much on the UF game, but for me that's THE must win game.  We're at UGA and USC, and I don't see us beating Bama anytime soon.  UF is down and we've got them at home.  If not now, when?

Exactly.  IMO they should not have won in 2006.  That started the whole run by Urban.  That game makes me sick.  Every year after that, either they had a large edge or we just stunk it up.  We managed to make it look somewhat respectible the last three years, but probably only because they suxes now.

We are long overdue to beat them.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: