VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 10:36:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should be another light week of film work  (Read 38691 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:51 EDT »

whatever.
I'n not into discussing biases.
When you are willing to discuss the team, as opposed to your emotional preconceived bias against the coaching staff we can continue. Till then there isn't much for us to discuss.

And an 0fer record against ranked teams is affected by my bias how?

Yes, I'm biased against Dooley at this point because he's shown nothing, and the empirical (unbiased) evidence supports my stance.

I stood with you for a long time on Fulmer because Fulmer won. There was data to support the support of that coach. There is no data to support this coach. And it's amazing that you would talk about emotion and bias with me. You are just as emotionally charged and biased the opposite way. I wouldn't bring that up, I would only point to the truth, which is they have beaten nobody. I don't care what the lines do and what patterns the WRs run and how out of position the LBs are because I judge football by the sum of the parts. And the sum says, we are a below average program who ain't won shizzle against anybody since Kiffin beat UGa in 2009.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 09:12:08 EDT »

Let's just face it - this is not an attractive job at this point....we are going to have to throw the bank to somebody and then if they are a bust we are screwed.  I hate Mike Hamilton.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 09:16:38 EDT »

whatever.
I'n not into discussing biases.
When you are willing to discuss the team, as opposed to your emotional preconceived bias against the coaching staff we can continue. Till then there isn't much for us to discuss.

You seem to be more emotionally charged than anyone in this debate, imo.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:24 EDT »

Let's just face it - this is not an attractive job at this point....we are going to have to throw the bank to somebody and then if they are a bust we are screwed.  I hate Mike Hamilton.

Sure it is.  This wasn't an attractive job when Kiffin was hired, and it really wasn't an attractive job when Dooley was hired.  But now we have an SEC-caliber roster, just waiting for the right coach to give them some sense of direction.  We have the best facilities in America.  I believe the right hire can win at UT right away, and win BIG as soon as year two.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 09:22:59 EDT »

Sure it is.  This wasn't an attractive job when Kiffin was hired, and it really wasn't an attractive job when Dooley was hired.  But now we have an SEC-caliber roster, just waiting for the right coach to give them some sense of direction.  We have the best facilities in America.  I believe the right hire can win at UT right away, and win BIG as soon as year two.

I respectfully disagree    but I'm mad, emotional and sick of losing...and sick of winning by 21 points and still feelingike we lost.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 10:02:53 EDT »

If they don't beat anybody of note, I don't care.

I can't state it any more plainly. The man is 0-fer vs. ranked teams. I don't care what he started with, this is the year that progress has to show. Progress isn't about the press conference, it's about closing the deal on the field. I've said it since Kentucky last year. All the man has to do is beat somebody and I will back off. Until he does, every week that passes makes me think he's the wrong guy even more than I did the week before.

Ok, nothing wrong with wanting to beat a ranked team.  MSU is ranked, which is why it's my "key game".   Of course, uga is ranked as well, but our odds with the second group of bulldogs is much better.

Still, I will be rooting for the Vols saturday and stranger things have happened.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 10:45:50 EDT »

Again, and we can agree to disagree, but we have "almost SEC-caliber talent".  I still think we need another year or two, and DD's recruiting classes have been good, but not great.

It is in fact much better than either of the previous two years though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 12:01:58 EDT »

This is my problem with the "It's not Dooleys fault, or the were IMPROVING CRAP."  If we are still losing games like UF that we should have and could have won, how in the HELL IS STILL LOSING IMPROVING???  If you lose by 1 point you still lost and that is not improvement....................like we ran the ball better makes us an improved team.  We should be able to compete with the big boys now PERIOD DOT.  He had nothing to work with at LA Tech, but DAMN IT we have all that you need to build a winning program...................................................except a coach and staff that can motivate young men, and a game plan with which to out coach anyone............................................SEE AKRON'S OFFENSIVE STAFF VS OUR DEFENSIVE ONE.............................and it only gets tougher from here on in.  I hope i'm dead wrong, but I in no way see us keeping up with any of the next 4 games and maybe even Missouri.

Where is our teams kick their ASSES attitude??............................................WELL I GUESS THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR................LOL

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 12:04:46 EDT »

TIf you lose by 1 point you still lost and that is not improvement....................like we ran the ball better makes us an improved team.[/b] 

So winning by 21 is good, right?   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 12:14:21 EDT »

Akron.   
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 02:57:33 EDT »

This makes my point............................................... pulling ahead to a 21 point lead at the end of the game over a LAME DUCK 1-11 MAC TEAM.........THAT MOVED THE BALL ON US AT WILL EXCEPT FOR WHEN THEY MESSED UP.  

When we were a good team we beat up on teams like this to the tune of 52-0.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:01:28 EDT by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 03:16:10 EDT »

Akron.   

Wasn't talking to you   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 03:16:49 EDT »

Wasn't talking to you   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 03:20:26 EDT »

This makes my point............................................... pulling ahead to a 21 point lead at the end of the game over a LAME DUCK 1-11 MAC TEAM.........THAT MOVED THE BALL ON US AT WILL EXCEPT FOR WHEN THEY MESSED UP.  

Actually we shut them down pretty well for most of the second half.  That did include a couple turnovers, but hell, they only scored a FG.  Even you have to be happy with that.

So, you really can't say "even a one-point loss" is bad against a good team, but not accept "even a one-point win" against a bad team.  Either a "win is a win" (to use your own words) or it isn't.  So which is it?

If you allow this kind of illogic to cloud your reasoning, you are likely to go through life confused and angry, because it will be impossible for you to be satisfied by anything.   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 03:31:37 EDT »

Actually we shut them down pretty well for most of the second half.  That did include a couple turnovers, but hell, they only scored a FG.  Even you have to be happy with that.

So, you really can't say "even a one-point loss" is bad against a good team, but not accept "even a one-point win" against a bad team.  Either a "win is a win" (to use your own words) or it isn't.  So which is it?

If you allow this kind of illogic to cloud your reasoning, you are likely to go through life confused and angry, because it will be impossible for you to be satisfied by anything.   

As a head coach a TN, win games over SEC opponents or get the fizzle out.  Bottom line.

The man is in his third year, and he hasn't done this once!  And he lost to Kentucky!

Who cares if the running game is getting better?  BEAT SOMEBODY!!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 03:32:41 EDT »

Oh really?  Depending on when you think we were "good", check out these scores:

2007 UK 52-50 in triple OT - we only won because they missed a FG 
2006 UK 17-12
2006 Air Force 31-30 (okay, AF is better than Akron, but we only beat them by one)

2000 @Memphis 19-17
2000 Vandy 28-26

Granted 2000 was a bit of a rebuilding year, but we had far more talent then than we do now

1999 Memphis 17-16 (on a late miracle throw by Tee Martin no less)

That's as far back as my records go, but we actually lost to Memphis in 1996, and we had some other close calls with Vandy and Kentucky in the 90s.

So it's not that unusual to ALMOST LOSE, or even LOSE to really bad teams, even when we were up.  So I will take this 21-point win, no matter how ugly, any day. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 03:34:15 EDT »

As a head coach a TN, win games over SEC opponents or get the fizzle out.  Bottom line.

The man is in his third year, and he hasn't done this once!  And he lost to Kentucky!

Who cares if the running game is getting better?  BEAT SOMEBODY!!!

I clearly think he will.  I guess we will find out.  And MSU IS ranked.   

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 03:38:34 EDT »

It goes to the very heart of the discussion.

Derek Dooley not having won 11 has little to do with how we will fare against Georgia....What I posted was facts, and the facts do indeed point to UGA being better, but the point was, don't judge UT based on what we did vs Akron, each game is case by case.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 03:40:46 EDT »

we can't. If we fired Dooley we'd have to give him a ton of money, and the AD isn't really doing well right now. Barring a disaster like last year he is here next year, so we might as well stop contributing to his hot seat rumors which don't help recruiting, and see what he can do.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:15 EDT »

I clearly think he will.  I guess we will find out.  And MSU IS ranked.   

What does MSU being ranked have to do with anything?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 04:05:19 EDT »

Derek Dooley not having won 11 has little to do with how we will fare against Georgia....What I posted was facts, and the facts do indeed point to UGA being better, but the point was, don't judge UT based on what we did vs Akron, each game is case by case.

I was not talking to you. I was talking to Pirate who insinuated that my argument was not grounded in facts. I did not say that you or nobody else didn't post facts. I have not said one place on this board that I am judging UT vs. UGa by what happened vs. Akron. I hated the first half and the second happened because they ran out of gas, but that isn't representative of what will happen vs. UGa. Dooley not having won any out of 11 has everything to do with my expectation of what will happen vs. UGa. And playing close is not worth squat to me. It is time to win.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 04:06:44 EDT »

we can't. If we fired Dooley we'd have to give him a ton of money, and the AD isn't really doing well right now. Barring a disaster like last year he is here next year, so we might as well stop contributing to his hot seat rumors which don't help recruiting, and see what he can do.

There are 10 donors who would pony up that money right now if they thought they could win a National Championship with the next coach like Bama did with Saban. Please.

For somebody who was fired up to fire a national championship coach at the first sign of trouble, I can't believe you're willing to "see what he can do". It's not his first year. Have we not already seen what he can do?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 06:37:01 EDT »

What does MSU being ranked have to do with anything?

I misread your post to say "quality SEC opponent".  I guess any SEC game will do?

Rereading some earlier posts, I probably had you confused with the boss.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:40:15 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 06:39:38 EDT »

There are 10 donors who would pony up that money right now if they thought they could win a National Championship with the next coach like Bama did with Saban. Please.

Big if though, but I think you know that.

For somebody who was fired up to fire a national championship coach at the first sign of trouble, I can't believe you're willing to "see what he can do". It's not his first year. Have we not already seen what he can do?

Not yet, IMO, given extenuating circumstance.  But by late October or early November we will know much more.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 03:56:12 EDT »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: