VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 01:26:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should be another light week of film work  (Read 38988 times)
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 05:18:54 EDT »

Oh really?  Depending on when you think we were "good", check out these scores:

2007 UK 52-50 in triple OT - we only won because they missed a FG  
2006 UK 17-12
2006 Air Force 31-30 (okay, AF is better than Akron, but we only beat them by one)

2000 @Memphis 19-17
2000 Vandy 28-26

Granted 2000 was a bit of a rebuilding year, but we had far more talent then than we do now

1999 Memphis 17-16 (on a late miracle throw by Tee Martin no less)

That's as far back as my records go, but we actually lost to Memphis in 1996, and we had some other close calls with Vandy and Kentucky in the 90s.

So it's not that unusual to ALMOST LOSE, or even LOSE to really bad teams, even when we were up.  So I will take this 21-point win, no matter how ugly, any day.  

All of those teams you listed are better than AKRON....................................
YOU CAN TAKE AN UGLY WIN AND BE fine.........................I am not................I will be happy when we compete the way we should and win against good competition.  I am still just PISSED ABOUT THE UF GAME and am not happy to see the next 4 games coming.  The missed defensive assignments against a poor Akron team that UCF blew out of the stadium just give me little to no confidence against good teams.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:14:25 EDT by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 08:09:33 EDT »

Akron scored 14 on ucf so if u take away the 10 we spotted them with turnovers the score is pretty similar.
Most of those teams might be bettrt than akron but we also did not beat them by 21.

How badly did we beat gsu?  Were they better than akron and was it after a tough loss?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 08:18:43 EDT »

Akron scored 14 on ucf so if u take away the 10 we spotted them with turnovers the score is pretty similar.
Most of those teams might be bettrt than akron but we also did not beat them by 21.
How badly did we beat gsu?  Were they better than akron and was it after a tough loss?
So....we are as good as UCF....lovely.  I was not raised to accept mediocrity....C's were not "ok".  Maybe our fanbase is spoiled, maybe we are sick of being a big fat joke and losing to teams like KENTUCKY.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:35 EDT »

You can accept what you want to or try to reason for a performance, I call it making excuses which to me is unacceptable

So....we are as good as UCF....lovely.  I was not raised to accept mediocrity....C's were not "ok".  Maybe our fanbase is spoiled, maybe we are sick of being a big fat joke and losing to teams like KENTUCKY.
THIS IS HOW I SEE IT

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:13 EDT »

It is where we are. 

But I actually think we are better than UCF.  In the year we lost to Memphis, several teams I would not consider better than us blew them off the field. So were we worse than those teams, some of whom we pounded in other games?  Or was it just a bad day?

My point is that we had a bad day and still won by 21, and it's not that big a deal.

I don't like mediocrity any more than you do.  But we weren't mediocre last year, we sucked ass.

So I see this as a progression 

suck ass -> mediocre -> good -> great

IMO, we started the year mediocre but can be good by the end, and perhaps good moving towards great next year.  That is a best case scenario

Another one is that we stay mediocre. 

Another is that we revert to sucking ass.

I think 8-4 qualifes as moving towards good, maybe even achieving it, depending on the details of what that 8-4 comprises.

in

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Orange Rampage
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 02:28:27 EDT »

BOWL GAME! Don't talk to me about a bowl game!

i read that in the high pitched astonished Jim Mora voice: "playoffs? You kidding me?"

Well done.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 02:42:40 EDT »

i read that in the high pitched astonished Jim Mora voice: "playoffs? You kidding me?"

Well done.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 03:11:31 EDT »

Well done.

Thank you....I thought no one caught that. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2012, 03:28:18 EDT »

There are 10 donors who would pony up that money right now if they thought they could win a National Championship with the next coach like Bama did with Saban. Please.

For somebody who was fired up to fire a national championship coach at the first sign of trouble, I can't believe you're willing to "see what he can do". It's not his first year. Have we not already seen what he can do?

Can't compare Fulmer and CDD. Fulmer was in his 11th year when I was ready to let him go because he had built it up, and was letting it slip. CDD inherited a mess, and I don't believe at all we can see all he can do his third year...plus, the season is too young to write him off yet.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 03:42:27 EDT »

Can't compare Fulmer and CDD. Fulmer was in his 11th year when I was ready to let him go because he had built it up, and was letting it slip. CDD inherited a mess, and I don't believe at all we can see all he can do his third year...plus, the season is too young to write him off yet.

Fulmer won a national championship. Dooley has never beaten a ranked team.

You're right.. No comparison at all.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2012, 03:57:19 EDT »

Fulmer won a national championship. Dooley has never beaten a ranked team.

You're right.. No comparison at all.

Fulmer inherited a lot of talent. Tons more than Dooley did. He won a national title in his 7th season as UT head coach. Should we have fired him in 1994, his third season, when he started the season 1-3 and finished 8-4? If Dooley finished 8-4 this season, or 9-4, should we fire him? 8-5?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2012, 04:02:47 EDT »

Fulmer inherited a lot of talent. Tons more than Dooley did. He won a national title in his 7th season as UT head coach. Should we have fired him in 1994, his third season, when he started the season 1-3 and finished 8-4? If Dooley finished 8-4 this season, or 9-4, should we fire him? 8-5?

By 1994 Fulmer had a win over Florida and two wins over Georgia. Also 1994 was his second full season, not his third. In his third season he beat Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State and went 11-1. Based on what Dooley inherited, I did not expect him to go 11-1 and beat Alabama this year.

I don't want Dooley fired today... he deserves the chance to let it play out, at least until November... I've just all but given up hope that he has a clue what is going on. If he beats anybody decent the rest of this year I reserve the right to change my stance. I just don't think it is going to happen. His teams are mentally weak.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012, 04:04:24 EDT »

How long does Dooley get a pass for the "mess" he walked into?  Is this the last year we have to hear it?  He is 3 years into his tenure and we still fold in the fourth quarter.  Last year the excuse was injuries....this year we're back to the mess he walked into.  It is time for him to take ownership and show some progress on the field...not paper and not the press conference...the field.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2012, 04:08:21 EDT »

By 1994 Fulmer had a win over Florida and two wins over Georgia. Also 1994 was his second full season, not his third. In his third season he beat Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State and went 11-1. Based on what Dooley inherited, I did not expect him to go 11-1 and beat Alabama this year.

I don't want Dooley fired today... he deserves the chance to let it play out, at least until November... I've just all but given up hope that he has a clue what is going on. If he beats anybody decent the rest of this year I reserve the right to change my stance. I just don't think it is going to happen. His teams are mentally weak.

Fulmer also competed against the likes of Ray Goof, Donnan, and the revolving door at Bama. The one good coach in the SEC he had issues beating. And like I said, he didn't start off his career with a roster that resembled a probation team. So yes, still a bad comparison.

I agree that Dooley needs to beat someone in the SEC for people to take UT seriously. If he doesn't, he is going to go 2-6 this year in the SEC, and I think we have better talent on this team to do that. haven't given up on this team being mentally weak yet.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2012, 04:16:05 EDT »

How long does Dooley get a pass for the "mess" he walked into?  Is this the last year we have to hear it?  He is 3 years into his tenure and we still fold in the fourth quarter.  Last year the excuse was injuries....this year we're back to the mess he walked into.  It is time for him to take ownership and show some progress on the field...not paper and not the press conference...the field.

last year the excuse wasn't injuries. It was lack of depth...and it was a fact, not an excuse. he has a team that can be competitive this year, and should be, but we're not there yet. He should have 3-4 years of his players before we judge. he is not three years into his tenure yet. 2 1/4 years. Heck, you were ready to give Fulmer a pass after 2008, and that was how many years into his tenure?

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2012, 04:28:19 EDT »

last year the excuse wasn't injuries. It was lack of depth...and it was a fact, not an excuse. he has a team that can be competitive this year, and should be, but we're not there yet. He should have 3-4 years of his players before we judge. he is not three years into his tenure yet. 2 1/4 years. Heck, you were ready to give Fulmer a pass after 2008, and that was how many years into his tenure?

Fulmer won a national championship, man.

This is why I hate it when Tennessee is bad. It's worse than politics.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2012, 04:44:57 EDT »

Fulmer won a national championship, man.

This is why I hate it when Tennessee is bad. It's worse than politics.

He won a NC 10 years before 2008 and let his team slip into mediocrity, and recruiting slip into the wasteland. Point is, 10 years was way too long. 2 1/4 seasons is too quick to judge. Like someone said, the jury is out on Dooley - and the judge doesn't pass judgement until the jury comes back in with a verdict, no matter the opinions of either side.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2012, 04:46:22 EDT »

Yes, I was....and as Revolver said Fulmer had a NC under his belt. What does Dooley have other than an impressive wardrobe and a loss to Kentucky?  I happen to want Dooley to succeed and prove me wrong....I just don't think he will.  
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2012, 05:02:12 EDT »

Fulmer also competed against the likes of Ray Goof, Donnan, and the revolving door at Bama.

This is a convenient excuse for bashing even Fulmer's successful years, but let's look at it a different way. Does thinking about UGA's two stupid hires and Alabama's revolving door of coaches remind anyone of a certain program? Have you given any thought right now to the fact that we may be this decade's version of mid 90s UGA, and that we're on our way to being the revolving door of stupid hires that Alabama was from '97 to 2006?

BTW, those UGA and Alabama teams with those crappy coaches that Fulmer beat up on . . . they won bowl games, beat ranked teams, and defeated rivals on occasion.

I've tried to avoid all of this crap because it's incredibly depressing. I like Dooley and have wanted to believe in him very badly. But if the rest of this season goes as it appears to be headed, forget it. If we lose to Georgia and Alabama and South Carolina, I'm done with Dooley . . . and at this point there's no reason to think we can win any of those games.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2012, 05:23:37 EDT »

This is a convenient excuse for bashing even Fulmer's successful years, but let's look at it a different way. Does thinking about UGA's two stupid hires and Alabama's revolving door of coaches remind anyone of a certain program? Have you given any thought right now to the fact that we may be this decade's version of mid 90s UGA, and that we're on our way to being the revolving door of stupid hires that Alabama was from '97 to 2006?

BTW, those UGA and Alabama teams with those crappy coaches that Fulmer beat up on . . . they won bowl games, beat ranked teams, and defeated rivals on occasion.

I've tried to avoid all of this crap because it's incredibly depressing. I like Dooley and have wanted to believe in him very badly. But if the rest of this season goes as it appears to be headed, forget it. If we lose to Georgia and Alabama and South Carolina, I'm done with Dooley . . . and at this point there's no reason to think we can win any of those games.

Well I am saying nothing more than you are. Let the season play out, then either be done or jump on. Right now it's premature. IMO he needs to win 1 out of these 4. The three teams you mentioned have much more talent and depth than we do, so he will have to outcoach one of them to go 2-2

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2012, 05:31:35 EDT »

I think we can take USC, and I am hopeful that we go 2-2 over this four game stretch.  But we have to worry about MSU.  Good team on the road. 

If we can't win that one, forget the rest.

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2012, 12:03:55 EDT »

Well I am saying nothing more than you are. Let the season play out, then either be done or jump on. Right now it's premature. IMO he needs to win 1 out of these 4. The three teams you mentioned have much more talent and depth than we do, so he will have to outcoach one of them to go 2-2

My biggest problem is that we have not outcoached anyone with Dooley at the helm, or beaten any team that even margianlly better than us.  We should have seen that at least once or twice last year.......................................or once or twice in his 2 full years............................he needs to step his GAME DAY PLAN UP IN A MAJOR WAY..................................CAUSE IT AIN'T BEEN CLOSE TO GOOD ENOUGH.

Go Big Orange.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2012, 12:16:36 EDT »

My biggest issue was Mike Hamilton was AD for so long

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:04 EDT »

My biggest issue was Mike Hamilton was AD for so long

Word.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:53 EDT »

Exactly!  Time and time again, you can see that Hamilton, while a great fundrasier, knew nothing about hiring a coach.  He screwed up when he fired Fulmer without having a replacement hire in his back pocket.

I am of the camp that says wait for the year to play out, but I am also in the camp of Dooley has to beat someone with a pulse.  With that said, assuming we are in the market for a new coach, I have greater hope in the coaching search with Hart at the helm since he was at FSU and Bama and knows what it takes to be successful in football.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: