VTTW Board Index
April 16, 2024, 09:00:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any more excuses?  (Read 30836 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2012, 07:28:00 EDT »

Mississippi State folks. Pathetic.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:29:44 EDT »

Nope,Need to find another Coach. I'd be jumping for joy if Charlie Strong was named UT coach in December

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 01:41:47 EDT »

Cosign.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:21:34 EDT »

No more excuses but even worse...... there is no more hope.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 02:59:39 EDT »

No more excuses but even worse...... there is no more hope.

I was on the no hope train four weeks ago.

I want somebody to make the case to me why we should stick with what we have. After all some were so full of optimism after giving up 51 to UGa.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 03:15:13 EDT »

Poor execution, Poor discipline, we just found another way to lose.
MSU was not better or more talented than the VOLS 

Go Big Orange.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 03:17:03 EDT »

I want somebody to make the case to me why we should stick with what we have. After all some were so full of optimism after giving up 51 to UGa.

I'm with you boss (well, almost former boss now!  WOO!) 

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 03:19:18 EDT »

I stick with my mandate to get to 8-4. After UF I thought the odds were slim, and it continues to look that way. I appreciate what Dooley has done, but if we can't get there a change must be made. As I've said a number of times I don't expect us to beat "x" team, but getting to 8-4 requires the defeat of at least one quality opponent. Which one it is I don't care.  

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 04:57:13 EDT »

Paging BanditVol to the thread.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 05:13:37 EDT »

I'm also waiting.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 05:18:40 EDT »

In the first half, I said to BTV that none of the Vols' three top coaches -- Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, and Defensive Coordinator -- are good enough for the SEC.  I like Dooley and wanted very much for him to succeed, but I just don't see it.  I hate that another coaching change is on the horizon, but I also don't think there is much choice absent some amazing turnaround in the second half of the season.  Great, a probable coaching change during the board transition!  My timing is as bad as the Vols defense.   
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 05:21:17 EDT »

In the first half, I said to BTV that none of the Vols' three top coaches -- Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, and Defensive Coordinator -- are good enough for the SEC.  I like Dooley and wanted very much for him to succeed, but I just don't see it.  I hate that another coaching change is on the horizon, but I also don't think there is much choice absent some amazing turnaround in the second half of the season.  Great, a probable coaching change during the board transition!  My timing is as bad as the Vols defense.   

Nah,not that bad!

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 05:21:40 EDT »

Can you add a plane tracker app to the board?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 05:37:18 EDT »

Calling me out by name eh?

"Full of optimism" is a gross exaggeration.   I was optimistic we could beat MSU and win out in November and also have a good recruiting season.

I also see huge improvement from last year's team.  This year we have been on the field with three ranked teams, two of them (at the time or later) top 10 teams, and everyone thinks we had a shot to win or should have.  Anyone disagree?  This is what a lot of you have been complaining about.

Last year we got blown out 37-6, 41-6, and 42-7 by top ranked teams, and no one in their right mind thought we had a shot at winning any of those games.

As bad as we are, or seem to be this year, the team is significantly improved.

Now the counter will be "so what, you have to win the games".

I don't disagree with that. However my fear is that with a coaching change, we might not be talking about even getting close to ranked teams for a long, long time.

Setting that aside, our offense is pretty damn good.  The problem is on the defensive side of the ball.

You know what?  Maybe a coaching change will solve that.  I know what to do.  Let's completely run off or fire the ENTIRE defensive coaching staff and get some new guys!

Oh wait.  Didn't we just do that?  Huh.  Yes, coaching changes always work!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 06:09:42 EDT »

I can't offer any excuses. I am still going to wait for the season to be over, but I am starting to think that we will have another coach next season as well.

I will say this....this won't be the challenge that it was 3 years ago in terms of rebuilding for a new coach. He'd have to hold on to the recruits we want of course, but CDD has done well in getting some talent here, especially on the OL and DL. So, if we CAN possibly get a big name hire, he would not be walking into a team no talent.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 06:13:01 EDT »

I can't offer any excuses. I am still going to wait for the season to be over, but I am starting to think that we will have another coach next season as well.

I will say this....this won't be the challenge that it was 3 years ago in terms of rebuilding for a new coach. He'd have to hold on to the recruits we want of course, but CDD has done well in getting some talent here, especially on the OL and DL. So, if we CAN possibly get a big name hire, he would not be walking into a team no talent.

I agree with this, as I've said before.  IMO, our next coach will be walking into a very, VERY good situation.  I think, with the right leadership in place, we're set up to win right away.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 06:17:08 EDT »

I agree with this, as I've said before.  IMO, our next coach will be walking into a very, VERY good situation.  I think, with the right leadership in place, we're set up win right away.

I hope Bray and Hunter stay for another season.  It could be a rough one for the next Coach if the QB is Justin Worley,Patrick Ashford and Nathan Peterman and the only experienced returning receiver is Cordarelle Patterson   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:30:14 EDT by WoodstockVol » Logged

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 06:23:21 EDT »

I hope Bray and Hunter stay for another season.  It could be a rough one for the next Coach if the QB is Justin Worley,Patrick Ashford and Nathan Peterman and the only experienced returning receiver is Cordarelle Patterson

We can win even if we lose all of those guys.  We return TONS of experience along both lines, which is the most important thing in this league.  Neal, with another year under Graham, can be an all-SEC type RB next season.  Either Worley or Peterman can get the job done at QB.  If this team gets quality coaching, they can win next year, and win BIG in 2014.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 07:03:00 EDT »

I hope Bray and Hunter stay for another season.  It could be a rough one for the next Coach if the QB is Justin Worley,Patrick Ashford and Nathan Peterman and the only experienced returning receiver is Cordarelle Patterson   

As of last week, Bray was not even a top 5 draft QB per Todd McShay of ESPN

I don't have a link, but I saw it scroll by on the ESPN ticker last week.

According to this, he is definitely not top 4. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft  (see table to right)

I don't have an insider account, so I can't get to the actual ESPN QB draft ratings.

I think he probably does come back. Or makes a bad move and settles for the 2nd or 3rd round.  Frankly he needs to learn to handle pressure better to get his stock back up IMO, and that probably will take another year.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 10:22:01 EDT »

As of last week, Bray was not even a top 5 draft QB per Todd McShay of ESPN

I don't have a link, but I saw it scroll by on the ESPN ticker last week.

According to this, he is definitely not top 4. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft  (see table to right)

I don't have an insider account, so I can't get to the actual ESPN QB draft ratings.

I think he probably does come back. Or makes a bad move and settles for the 2nd or 3rd round.  Frankly he needs to learn to handle pressure better to get his stock back up IMO, and that probably will take another year.   

His stock has gone down a lot since the beginning of the year.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 10:26:05 EDT »

His stock has gone down a lot since the beginning of the year.

Yeah, Danielson wasn't keen on him throwing while he backs up, but said it helps in some cases.  So whatever, MUO (My Uninformed Opinion) is that he needs to come back.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 01:06:09 EDT »

Calling me out by name eh?

"Full of optimism" is a gross exaggeration.   I was optimistic we could beat MSU and win out in November and also have a good recruiting season.

I also see huge improvement from last year's team.  This year we have been on the field with three ranked teams, two of them (at the time or later) top 10 teams, and everyone thinks we had a shot to win or should have.  Anyone disagree?  This is what a lot of you have been complaining about.

Last year we got blown out 37-6, 41-6, and 42-7 by top ranked teams, and no one in their right mind thought we had a shot at winning any of those games.

As bad as we are, or seem to be this year, the team is significantly improved.

Now the counter will be "so what, you have to win the games".

I don't disagree with that. However my fear is that with a coaching change, we might not be talking about even getting close to ranked teams for a long, long time.

Setting that aside, our offense is pretty damn good.  The problem is on the defensive side of the ball.

You know what?  Maybe a coaching change will solve that.  I know what to do.  Let's completely run off or fire the ENTIRE defensive coaching staff and get some new guys!

Oh wait.  Didn't we just do that?  Huh.  Yes, coaching changes always work!   

I didn't call you out by name. Ridge did. Just wanted to clarify since you started off with the "calling out" stuff and then seem to address my post. You were far from the only person who took a moral victory from the Georgia loss.

The issue is not with running off the entire defensive staff or not running off the entire defensive staff. The issue is that you have a head coach who will always have some reason why he isn't winning like Tennessee should win. When he first got here, he didn't have any players. OK, fair point... bad situation. Second year... well, we had injuries and no depth. OK... fair point, bad situation. This year, we're changing schemes on defense and don't have any leaders. OK... no big deal. But, next year it will be something else and something else the year after that. What I've heard Dooley say with my own ears is that he and Wilcox were not on the same page philosophically but he and Sal are. Well... with all due respect coach, your philosophy sucks and you allowed a better defensive coordinator to walk away because of your flipping ego.

I think it's a pussy way to be to sit and look at a really crappy situation and say "Oh no, we can't change, that might make it worse!" There is no excuse for Tennessee to be this bad three years into a coaches tenure. Three years is enough to close the gap on some of these programs. So lets just call Dooley what he is... a transitional coach... thanks for building back up the numbers and putting in a process coach... thanks for getting a few good players... now go away while we go pay somebody top dollar to put this program back where it needs to be.

If they go and hire Kirby Smart or some jackwagon like that, I'm going to take a long look at how much passion I put into rooting for this program while that coach is proving to me what they can and can't do.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 03:07:27 EDT »

If they go and hire Kirby Smart or some jackwagon like that, I'm going to take a long look at how much passion I put into rooting for this program while that coach is proving to me what they can and can't do.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 03:07:35 EDT »

I didn't call you out by name. Ridge did. Just wanted to clarify since you started off with the "calling out" stuff and then seem to address my post. You were far from the only person who took a moral victory from the Georgia loss.

I didn't say you did.   I was in fact referring to Ridge.  My response was directed at the entire thread, not just you.

The issue is not with running off the entire defensive staff or not running off the entire defensive staff. The issue is that you have a head coach who will always have some reason why he isn't winning like Tennessee should win. When he first got here, he didn't have any players. OK, fair point... bad situation. Second year... well, we had injuries and no depth. OK... fair point, bad situation. This year, we're changing schemes on defense and don't have any leaders. OK... no big deal. But, next year it will be something else and something else the year after that.

Oh I know Dooley is an excuse-maker. I  complained about this all last year, and in fact got jumped for it a couple of times.  But I pointed out earlier this season that he hasn't been doing it this year.  I think he knows he got exposed by the Kentucky game last year and it won't wash anymore.  I haven't heard him make any excuses this year while admitting that I haven't been hanging on his every word either.  But certainly the first two years, he kept blaming the players publicly, which actually pissed me off more than once.

What I've heard Dooley say with my own ears is that he and Wilcox were not on the same page philosophically but he and Sal are. Well... with all due respect coach, your philosophy sucks and you allowed a better defensive coordinator to walk away because of your flipping ego.

Well I don't know exactly what happened last year, and I didn't try to find out.  Losing 80% of our coaching staff was so demoralizing to me that I decided I was better off just not knowing.  Dooley may have lost Wilcox because Wilcox wanted out of a bad situation and Dooley was trying to put the best face on it.  That's my impression, though I freely admit I quit paying attention sometime around Dec 15 last year.  If in fact it was Dooley's ego that led to Wilcox leaving, then Dooley deserves all the blame for the D this year.  If Wilcox left because he wanted to desert a sinking ship, then I feel sympathy for Dooley but it's still his bad for not persuading Wilcox to stay.  My main point, whatever the case, is that we would probably have an average to above average D this year with continuity in the D staff, no matter how it played out.

I think it's a pussy way to be to sit and look at a really crappy situation and say "Oh no, we can't change, that might make it worse!"

That's not my POV at all.  More like, if a change is needed, do it at the right time, use reason and logic,  do what's best for the program and don't be overly swayed by public opinion.  Hamilton gave Fulmer a contract extension in 2007 when I thought (and most probably thought) it was unjustified, and then promptly and very clumsily jettisoned Fulmer when it went south in 2008.  Then he made an atrocious hire in Kiffin, a guy that AL fizzleING DAVIS called out publicly, because, IMO, he was catering to the most impatient and obnoxious part of our fanbase.  He apparently thought they wanted a young brash guy like Pearl (not young but definitely brash) while failing to notice that Pearl could actually coach and had a some loyalty to the program.  Then when Kiffin fizzleed us, he briefly considered Cut but backed down, apparently because the fanbase pissed and moaned.  My point is that we all have very short attention spans and are extremely impatient, and I got tired of that the last time around.  Don't worry, Dooley is probably gone.  But if Hart had fired him the week after Florida, I would have lost all respect for him.  

There is no excuse for Tennessee to be this bad three years into a coaches tenure. Three years is enough to close the gap on some of these programs. So lets just call Dooley what he is... a transitional coach... thanks for building back up the numbers and putting in a process coach... thanks for getting a few good players... now go away while we go pay somebody top dollar to put this program back where it needs to be.

I actually don't disagree with this last very much, I was just hoping we could improve to 8-4 this year and be in a better position next year.  But to be honest, it's starting to look better anyway.  We get most of our Oline back next year along with a promising run game and perhaps even Bray and CP (I think Hunter is gone based on his current draft rating and the way he has been playing - IMO to not get hurt).  I think even with a reset of the coaching staff they might be able to do something with all that talent.  I am less sanguine about the D, but a new coach would buy a couple years to rebuild it.  What I will definitely say is that putting all the chips in on Florida was very premature IMO.   And the funny thing is, many of the things everyone was complaining about the last two years and after Florida - the lack of a run game, the quick abandonment of the run game, the run blocking of the OL, the mental attitude of the team - all those things have improved.  It's very frustrating that our D sucks so bad and I blame most of that on the D-staff coaching reboot.

Yeah I don't want him either.  Let him stay in Tuscaloosa and sniff Nick Saban's jock.  

But if we change coaches, I don't care who it is, I doubt they step right in and win the MNC.  Larry Coker did it, but he had way more talent than us.  Terry Bowden went 11-0 with Pat Dye's players, but obviously had more talent, I mean, they were on probation.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:27:05 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 04:09:46 EDT »

Laugh all you want, I'm just being honest with myself.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: