VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 04:50:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearing a little smoke that  (Read 50507 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 02:36:13 EDT »

Some of our Bammer guests yesterday stated that Hart has a pretty big ego, and would probably try to make a huge splash with any hire he makes.  Of course, that could work the other way too- as in, hiring a virtual unknown, and if they work out, you can later make the claim, "I discovered that guy".  Sometimes I wonder if that was what Hamilton was thinking when he hired Dooley.

No, I think he was thinking "Oh shizzle, I have to get a coach and I was actually stupid enough to say I'd get one "by the end of the week" ".  (I kid you not, he actually said that  ).

If anything, he was thinking that with Kiffin, who while he had NFL experience, was a failure at such.

And as for your comment above, that public opinion is running so strongly, I did a quick survey of the comments on this Adams article:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/oct/21/john-adams-vols-playing-at-a-level-that-could/

It was roughly split between comments against Dooley vs. those that were neutral or for him.  FWIW. 

No doubt there are more wanting him out than before, but it's hardly unanimous.  This VTTW corner we inhabit is a pretty small section of the Vol World after all. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 02:39:25 EDT »

No doubt there are more wanting him out than before, but it's hardly unanimous. 

Let me qualify that...I mean there is hardly enough sentiment out there to get him fired THIS WEEK, and at the risk of offending you I think it's silly to think it would happen.  Not only is the sentiment nearly so bad as you imply, but Hart also doesn't strike me as the type to act prematurely.

I could be wrong, I have been plenty of times in the past, but there aren't a whole lot of people yelling that they want Dooley fired this week. By the end of the season...maybe.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 02:43:08 EDT »

The fan base will not be divided over the dismissal of Dooley. He's not a Tennessee guy like Fulmer
 I'd say the majority of fans want Dooley gone and nearly all fans wouldn't be upset by it.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 02:45:16 EDT »

So you're saying that Hart is also a wishy-washy, panty-wearing, scared-of-his-own-shadow wuss like Hamilton who runs for cover when a whiny fanbase starts pissing and moaning?

I seriously doubt it.  If he over-reacts to the usual bitching and moaning (bitching and moaning that occured under Fulmer even in 1999) then he isn't any better than Hamilton.

Someone needs to have the stones to not react to fickle fan attitudes and do what's right for the program anyway.  Firing Dooley now is not, or not how I see it anyway.

Believe it or not, I am really pissd off that Dooley is our coach at all.  If the fanbase had any of the fight they expect in the team and coaches, he wouldn't be, because people would not have wanted Fulmer out in 2007.

It was 2008 that got Fulmer canned. In 2007 he went to the SECCG.

And your last sentence is a ridiculous statement that is not really worthy of discussion other than to say that even today it is obvious how far the program had slipped under Fulmer, especially Fulmer without Cutcliffe.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 02:46:46 EDT »

The fan base will not be divided over the dismissal of Dooley. He's not a Tennessee guy like Fulmer
 I'd say the majority of fans want Dooley gone and nearly all fans wouldn't be upset by it.

No one is saying they will.  Regardless, it never makes sense to rush into a coaching change, no matter what fans think or how impatient they are.  Do it the right way.

I guess I'm still pissed that we ever had someone like Dooley as our coach to begin with, and I see the exact same attitudes that caused the current problem happening all over again.

Let's rush into another half-assed coaching change!  Yay!

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 02:47:39 EDT »

Let me qualify that...I mean there is hardly enough sentiment out there to get him fired THIS WEEK, and at the risk of offending you I think it's silly to think it would happen.  Not only is the sentiment nearly so bad as you imply, but Hart also doesn't strike me as the type to act prematurely.

I could be wrong, I have been plenty of times in the past, but there aren't a whole lot of people yelling that they want Dooley fired this week. By the end of the season...maybe.

To be clear, I think he'll get to finish out the season, even if they make the announcement sooner.  That's what I meant.  And to be frank, I'm not even going to argue whether or not he should be fired anymore, because I strongly believe that that ship has sailed.  He's gone.  It's done.  Maybe it's not official yet, maybe Dooley doesn't even know it yet.  But it's done.  So if anyone wants to make the case that he should stay another year, I won't even respond anymore.  Now if you want to argue over who we'll get to replace him, you might be surprised to learn that I have some fairly strong opinions on that.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 02:51:43 EDT »

To be clear, I think he'll get to finish out the season, even if they make the announcement sooner.  That's what I meant.  And to be frank, I'm not even going to argue whether or not he should be fired anymore, because I strongly believe that that ship has sailed.  He's gone.  It's done.  Maybe it's not official yet, maybe Dooley doesn't even know it yet.  But it's done.  So if anyone wants to make the case that he should stay another year, I won't even respond anymore.  Now if you want to argue over who we'll get to replace him, you might be surprised to learn that I have some fairly strong opinions on that.

Bandit is going to argue about it until he's blue in the face. Hell, 4 years after Fulmer was canned, he's still arguing that the move was forced by an impatient fan base in spite of the facts at hand.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 02:52:59 EDT »

It was 2008 that got Fulmer canned. In 2007 he went to the SECCG.

And your last sentence is a ridiculous statement that is not really worthy of discussion other than to say that even today it is obvious how far the program had slipped under Fulmer, especially Fulmer without Cutcliffe.

There were plenty of people...many of them on this very board, that said that Fulmer's season in 2007 was unacceptable because we lost by large margins to Florida and Alabama and "backed in" to the SECCG, which of course was untrue, we WON our way into it.  Those same people complained bitterly when we lost to a  highly favored LSU team, who were, you know the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, in spite of us almost beating them.

If you want, I can go below and find plenty of threads.

This set up the situation in 2008, where no matter what Fulmer did, he was going to get blasted.  There was no way we were going to be as good as 2007 with Ainge gone.  The expectations for 2008 were ridiculous.  But even so, Fulmer barely lost to UCLA and Auburn.  Had he beat those two teams, he would have had another shot in 2009 (no way does he lose to Wyoming without gettning fired).

Time to move on I know.  But in the meantime, I hope those yelling loudly for him to leave even in early 2007, before he beat uga, have enjoyed the last three years, because they deserve EVERY fizzleING BIT OF IT.

Peace out, done with this thread.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 02:57:46 EDT »

Hart already has his guy and that the decision has already been made to make the change, but it won't be announced until later in the season, or possibly even after the regular season.

Hart needs to go ahead and fire His incompetant ass!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:37 EDT »

Bandit is going to argue about it until he's blue in the face. Hell, 4 years after Fulmer was canned, he's still arguing that the move was forced by an impatient fan base in spite of the facts at hand.

"the empty seats at the bama game are what forced Hamilton's hand".

That's a quote quite recently on this very board.

And now...I really am done.   

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 03:04:23 EDT »

There were plenty of people...many of them on this very board, that said that Fulmer's season in 2007 was unacceptable because we lost by large margins to Florida and Alabama and "backed in" to the SECCG, which of course was untrue, we WON our way into it.  Those same people complained bitterly when we lost to a  highly favored LSU team, who were, you know the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, in spite of us almost beating them.

If you want, I can go below and find plenty of threads.

This set up the situation in 2008, where no matter what Fulmer did, he was going to get blasted.  There was no way we were going to be as good as 2007 with Ainge gone.  The expectations for 2008 were ridiculous.  But even so, Fulmer barely lost to UCLA and Auburn.  Had he beat those two teams, he would have had another shot in 2009 (no way does he lose to Wyoming without gettning fired).

Time to move on I know.  But in the meantime, I hope those yelling loudly for him to leave even in early 2007, before he beat uga, have enjoyed the last three years, because they deserve EVERY fizzleING BIT OF IT.

That doesn't come close to proving your statement that Fulmer got run off because of fickle fans. He saved his job making the SECCG and lost it in 2008 by losing.

It was time for him to go. I'd suggest moving on. It was 4 years ago.

And we all know you're not done with the thread.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 03:09:47 EDT »

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 03:16:54 EDT »

FeelsLike98 sure seems to think it's a done deal

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 03:20:34 EDT »

I'm good if it's a done deal. That having been said you don't turn your coaches into lame duck recruiters for six weeks by firing him now. Wait until after the season. I know the masses want blood, but the masses usually want something stupid. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 03:39:30 EDT »

I'm good if it's a done deal. That having been said you don't turn your coaches into lame duck recruiters for six weeks by firing him now. Wait until after the season. I know the masses want blood, but the masses usually want something stupid. 

Perhaps unless you've got something really good in the works.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 03:48:33 EDT »

I guess you would have to keep Dooley around until the end of the Season. Which Member of this Coaching staff would You want as interim Coach?

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 03:49:16 EDT »

Maybe, but if a change is needed and made after this year, I don't thing it will be a unifying hire. That doesn't mean you don't make it, just saying everyone has a different solution in their head.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 03:53:10 EDT »

Maybe, but if a change is needed and made after this year, I don't thing it will be a unifying hire. That doesn't mean you don't make it, just saying everyone has a different solution in their head.

Yep, and Bandit disagrees with every one of them.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 03:57:33 EDT »

See the pistol and my earlier posts

That being said, the rumour train is running at full throttle.  No matter what eventually happens, it will be a death by a 1,000 cuts.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 04:08:13 EDT »

See the pistol and my earlier posts

That being said, the rumour train is running at full throttle.  No matter what eventually happens, it will be a death by a 1,000 cuts.

The 1,000 cuts statement is very accurate. All the while, we get ready to play our 5th Top 20 team on the road with the other 4 that we have already played having a combined 27-1 record. And while we are at it, we need to also convince Derrick Green, Marquez North, Von Bell and others to come to Knox County. Tough situation.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2012, 01:28:16 EDT »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cqkI691dxNg&amp;feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cqkI691dxNg&amp;feature=related</a>

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2012, 02:21:39 EDT »

UNLESS the new hire can begin recruiting immediately, which I think the NCAA would prohibit were he not on staff, the team will be better off with an annoucement after the season.

Fans want a move now, but I'm not clear how that improves the big picture.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2012, 02:57:32 EDT »

FeelsLike98 sure seems to think it's a done deal

A FeelsLike98 poster is my source... he has posted on other sites at various times and while I wouldn't say that he's always right, he is definitely not a troll.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2012, 03:19:03 EDT »

Looks like an announcement may come this week or next

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2012, 03:29:02 EDT »

Looks like an announcement may come this week or next

I don't even care.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up