VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 07:56:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearing a little smoke that  (Read 50509 times)
IvoryTusk
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2012, 07:27:47 EDT »

IV - come on now .... Bama fans are long suffering.  I mean, good grief, we gave Mike Shula four years and he didn't beat Auburn once.  Gave Bill Curry the same as well, and neither did he beat Auburn.  You guys have the Uhaul loaded up for Dooley already after 2 1/2 seasons 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2012, 07:31:08 EDT »

Would his ego drive him to try and duplicate that at a huge place like Texas or would he want to try the NFL again and see if he can be successful there instead of the failure that he was????

In my opinion, no, not at all.  But face it, neither one of us is actually in his head or knows what he's thinking. 

When I first heard the Texas idea I thought it was credible, but then I thought about it some more.

He left a higher paying job with Miami to come to bammer.  I looked it up.  He took a pay cut. If he really wanted a challenge, he would have stayed in the NFL.   A big part of success is identifying challenges that you can succeed at and not biting off more than you can chew.

Of course, Texas is another place he can succeed, but why start over?  IMO it would not prove anything.  He's already got championships at two different schools.

FWIW, I would be very happy to be wrong.   At the same time, wishing for an opposing coach to leave is far less satisfying than beating his ass down the road somewhere.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2012, 07:32:53 EDT »

IV - come on now .... Bama fans are long suffering.  I mean, good grief, we gave Mike Shula four years and he didn't beat Auburn once.  Gave Bill Curry the same as well, and neither did he beat Auburn.  You guys have the Uhaul loaded up for Dooley already after 2 1/2 seasons 

It doesn't take us as long to figure things out.
IvoryTusk
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:42 EDT »

LOL!  Well, I have a brick that hasn't been used in about half a decade that I can ship to you if you need it 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2012, 07:47:46 EDT »

LOL!  Well, I have a brick that hasn't been used in about half a decade that I can ship to you if you need it 

Half a decade?  Don't you mean two decades?

Bammers and math.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
IvoryTusk
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2012, 07:50:21 EDT »

No .... I said that I haven't used 

Man, Vols and symatics .... 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2012, 07:51:36 EDT »

No .... I said that I haven't used 

Man, Vols and symatics .... 

It was Curry that had the brick thrown in his window.  So you are saying it was used in 2007?  Is there another incident I forgot?   

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2012, 07:53:23 EDT »

It was Curry that had the brick thrown in his window.  So you are saying it was used in 2007?  Is there another incident I forgot?   

I guess He threw the brick when Alabama lost to Utah in the Sugar Bowl

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2012, 08:01:46 EDT »

I guess He threw the brick when Alabama lost to Utah in the Sugar Bowl

IvoryTusk
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2012, 08:07:18 EDT »

LOL - its tough being facetious on this board 

No, there has only been one brick to my knowledge thrown through a coach's window, and that was in 1989.  After we lost to Auburn for a fourth time and the Independence Bowl to OSU in 2006 however, I was ready to heave the second .......

Since then, its just been gathering dust and dead bugs .... can clean off and ship northward if needed 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2012, 08:09:51 EDT »

LOL - its tough being facetious on this board 

No, there has only been one brick to my knowledge thrown through a coach's window, and that was in 1989.  After we lost to Auburn for a fourth time and the Independence Bowl to OSU in 2006 however, I was ready to heave the second .......

Since then, its just been gathering dust and dead bugs .... can clean off and ship northward if needed 

Oh I see.  Hey, that's a collector's item. Put it on ebay.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2012, 02:48:18 EDT »

[quote author=IvoryTusk link=topic=25228.msg120800#msg120800 date=1351015638

[/quote]

IT, I have a questionaire for you if you are still lurking.  I am going to suggest to you, that you will be needing that brick, and do not need to ship it to me.

So let's see what your response is.

IvoryTusk, you will be needing that brick again because:

(a) Nick Saban is going to go to the NFL
(b) Nick Saban is going to go to U Texas
(c) Tennessee is going to get a new coach and kick Saban's ass
(d) None of the above, the real answer is _______

(feel free to say you won't ever need to ship it as part of d.  That is an acceptable answer.  Just not the right one).

We'll see if you want to play, and if so, I will then supply my answer.

If you don't in a couple days, I will answer anyway.

Looking forward to your answer!  Mine is a really good one, I promise.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2012, 02:58:23 EDT »

[quote author=IvoryTusk link=topic=25228.msg120800#msg120800 date=1351015638

IT, I have a questionaire for you if you are still lurking.  I am going to suggest to you, that you will be needing that brick, and do not need to ship it to me.

So let's see what your response is.

IvoryTusk, you will be needing that brick again because:

(a) Nick Saban is going to go to the NFL
(b) Nick Saban is going to go to U Texas
(c) Tennessee is going to get a new coach and kick Saban's ass
(d) None of the above, the real answer is _______

(feel free to say you won't ever need to ship it as part of d.  That is an acceptable answer.  Just not the right one).

We'll see if you want to play, and if so, I will then supply my answer.

If you don't in a couple days, I will answer anyway.

Looking forward to your answer!  Mine is a really good one, I promise.

BTW, what does VVB stand for?  Vinnie Versus Bandit?

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2012, 03:11:24 EDT »

BTW, what does VVB stand for?  Vinnie Versus Bandit?

Please let the answer be no.  I don't know if I could hold it together.
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2012, 03:24:31 EDT »

Saban to Texas makes a mountain of sense. Saban could turn that, powerhouse waiting on a coach, around in no time with ease. Then he doesn't have to face the SEC week in and week out, and he won't have to leave Texas to find all the 5 star players he can handle. Heck, you can't even spit out there without hitting a 4 or 5 star player. And.......they have all the money in the world in Texas just gathering dust for a coach named Saban. Saban would be a fool not to take it if offered.....IMHO. Plus, and this is the best reason of all......it would PO the bammer crazies like nothing else in the world. Remember how they hated coach Fran?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2012, 03:34:58 EDT »

This thread is now tied for the 2nd most replies in the board history

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2012, 04:27:42 EDT »

Well, in that case maybe we could push it, "One toke over the line"!
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:35 EDT »

Well, in that case maybe we could push it, "One toke over the line"!

Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg     

UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2012, 04:55:28 EDT »

Wow, If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it! On Lawrence Welk no less, what's the world coming to? Ya think ole Lawrence knew what they were singing about? I gotta think he didn't. Cracked me up though-good job!  
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2012, 05:16:01 EDT »

Wow, If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it! On Lawrence Welk no less, what's the world coming to? Ya think ole Lawrence knew what they were singing about? I gotta think he didn't. Cracked me up though-good job!  

I think everyone but Lawrence knew what the meaning of that song was(Myron Floren was about to crack up announcing the song).

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2012, 05:34:54 EDT »

Please let the answer be no.  I don't know if I could hold it together.

No it's better than that.  Keep guessing.  But now it's stuck at 1. 

IvoryTusk
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2012, 03:01:11 EDT »

Bandit - Yea, I'll play.  None of the above.  Saban will retire from the University of Alabama.

A) He's been the NFL route.  Coaches like him and Spurrier are not cut out for the business of the NFL.  Saban took a pay cut to come to Alabama, not to rebuild a dynasty - but to "coach" young impressionable men, make leaders out of them, get them to play to a standard, etc - that's what makes him tick.  The NFL is about ego and paychecks.  His coaching style didn't fit either time, and he won't go that route again.

B) Texas would be a step down.  They play in a lousy conference, and right now, Alabama is the most prestigious gig in college football.  We've won two of the last three national titles - he's got pages and pages of blue chip recruits who want to play at Alabama - he can choose, more than recruit.  Why would he start over again at Texas?  Yea, they have big money men ........ so do we ...... and frankly, its not about the money in the first place.

C) I wish Tennessee all the best and I hope that you land Gruden, or some other high profile coach.  Frankly, UT isn't the kind of program that should be posting sub .500 records.  UT, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida - are all synonymous with deep, rich, winning football tradition.  I hope you guys get back to that threshold soon.  And FWIW - that is a sincere comment, not thinly veiled smack.  Hiring Gruden doesn't intimidate me in the least as a Bama fan - I hope you get him, and I hope he turns UT around into a 10+ win per year program in short order.

D) Saban has his cake and can eat it too right where he is.  There have been reasons in the past for leaving Toledo, Cleveland, Michigan State, LSU - all of those were moves up.  Leaving Miami was a move BACK to where he wanted to be.  Anything from here would be a step down relative to what he has.  Nope - I see him staying for another 5 yeras and then retiring.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2012, 03:08:42 EDT »

No it's better than that.  Keep guessing.  But now it's stuck at 1. 

No one cares enough to keep guessing.  That's cute, though. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2012, 03:38:50 EDT »

No one cares enough to keep guessing.  That's cute, though. 

Fair enough.  It was the "Vinnie Vol Ban" a (joking) temporary self-imposed ban on replying to your posts.

Didn't realize it was (a) so obvious, and (b), when you change your signature it auto-updates to every single post you've ever made. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2012, 07:42:24 EDT »

Bandit - Yea, I'll play.  None of the above.  Saban will retire from the University of Alabama.

A) He's been the NFL route.  Coaches like him and Spurrier are not cut out for the business of the NFL.  Saban took a pay cut to come to Alabama, not to rebuild a dynasty - but to "coach" young impressionable men, make leaders out of them, get them to play to a standard, etc - that's what makes him tick.  The NFL is about ego and paychecks.  His coaching style didn't fit either time, and he won't go that route again.

B) Texas would be a step down.  They play in a lousy conference, and right now, Alabama is the most prestigious gig in college football.  We've won two of the last three national titles - he's got pages and pages of blue chip recruits who want to play at Alabama - he can choose, more than recruit.  Why would he start over again at Texas?  Yea, they have big money men ........ so do we ...... and frankly, its not about the money in the first place.

C) I wish Tennessee all the best and I hope that you land Gruden, or some other high profile coach.  Frankly, UT isn't the kind of program that should be posting sub .500 records.  UT, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida - are all synonymous with deep, rich, winning football tradition.  I hope you guys get back to that threshold soon.  And FWIW - that is a sincere comment, not thinly veiled smack.  Hiring Gruden doesn't intimidate me in the least as a Bama fan - I hope you get him, and I hope he turns UT around into a 10+ win per year program in short order.

D) Saban has his cake and can eat it too right where he is.  There have been reasons in the past for leaving Toledo, Cleveland, Michigan State, LSU - all of those were moves up.  Leaving Miami was a move BACK to where he wanted to be.  Anything from here would be a step down relative to what he has.  Nope - I see him staying for another 5 yeras and then retiring.

Wow, it was supposed to be multiple choice, but I like the detailed responses.

Since you've been such a good sport, I'll keep it short and sweet.  My answer to D is, be careful, there is IMO a very strong possibility that bammer is cheating at recruiting.  So that's my choice for how Saban leaves bammer.  The evidence will finally be overwhelming.

Now here is the bonus...the last coach to recruit nearly as well as Saban was Carroll, though Saban has somehow done even better than him.  I didn't realize or hadn't thought much, until just recently, about what happened to USCw when Carroll got caught.  USCw had to VACATE THEIR CHAMPIONSHIPS. 

I know you're not going to lose any sleep over any of this, but in the meantime, you might wanna hold on to that brick.   

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: