VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 04:15:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being hinted at 8yr, 50 mil offer.......  (Read 18142 times)
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:24:18 EDT »

Has been accepted. Details won't be released until after CDD is dismissed. This is just what I've heard. But I'm sold on my source. TIFWIW

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:35:19 EDT »

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:38:02 EDT »

Seriously....I am going to have to go on meds if this doesn't pan out.   
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:48:54 EDT »

Seriously....I am going to have to go on meds if this doesn't pan out.   

I plan on self medicating no matter how it turns out.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 08:50:21 EDT »

I plan on self medicating no matter how it turns out.

Good idea - Margaritas for everyone!! 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:55:50 EDT »

That must come with a really steep buyout if this doesn't work out. That concerns me.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 09:02:01 EDT »

Where'd you find a picture of my dog?

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:12:33 EDT »

That must come with a really steep buyout if this doesn't work out. That concerns me.

I bet the buyout will be $10 million. Don't fight it, be positive. We are fizzleed now so might as well shoot for the moon.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 09:17:21 EDT »

I bet the buyout will be $10 million. Don't fight it, be positive. We are fizzleed now so might as well shoot for  moon.

Yep, if we get him... Just dive in and enjoy!  It will have meant we took one giant swing for the fences and connected.
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:20:22 EDT »

These numbers make my head hurt. Of course getting someone like Gruden is going to cost, and if it works out . . . great. But if it doesn't? Ugh. Mortgage Neyland Stadium?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:24:17 EDT »

I have a hard time imagining that Gruden wouldn't be successful. One can doubt whether the level of success would match that kind of contract, but at this point UT football needs some minimum level of success to avoid falling into the abyss completely. I have little doubt that Gruden could provide that. He's a smart guy, speaks well, is well known by fans, coaches, and players at all levels and should be a major draw for top level athletes.

Would he win national titles? Who knows, but even without that he may be one of our best bets to save the program, even at that price tag.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 09:27:00 EDT »

I am Mr. Contingency Planning. On a possibly related note I am not much fun. On the bright side when is the first report ever right? I'm putting stock in the 18th version, whatever it is. Hopefully it does not involve kidneys from half of X10 and a pee wee coach from Harrogate.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 09:30:38 EDT »

I have a hard time imagining that Gruden wouldn't be successful. One can doubt whether the level of success would match that kind of contract, but at this point UT football needs some minimum level of success to avoid falling into the abyss completely. I have little doubt that Gruden could provide that. He's a smart guy, speaks well, is well known by fans, coaches, and players at all levels and should be a major draw for top level athletes.

Would he win national titles? Who knows, but even without that he may be one of our best bets to save the program, even at that price tag.

I don't think Gruden's success is guaranteed either, but we've been down the bargain bin coach road too many times.  It's time to go all in.

Do you remember the swell of hype that came when Saban arrived at Bama?  I remember thinking "huh, he hasn't done shizzle".. but it's almost like their was such an injection of confidence into that program that it willed it to a new level.  Time will only tell if Gruden could do the same for us, but logic says it just might.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 09:34:44 EDT »

VN is saying Arky boards are lighting up.  It's possible we're in a bidding war...
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 09:38:39 EDT »

VN is saying Arky boards are lighting up.  It's possible we're in a bidding war...

Damn them to hell and gone! Nobody wants to go to Arkansas....
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 09:40:25 EDT »

Has been accepted. Details won't be released until after CDD is dismissed. This is just what I've heard. But I'm sold on my source. TIFWIW

I wonder if coaches contracts are backloaded like players contracts, and with "performance" clauses?  Probably so. Wow that is a lot of dough!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 09:41:44 EDT »

Hart is an idiot if he gets in a bidding war with Arkansas. IF Gruden wants to return to coaching it won't be about the money. My guess is this is hooey. The Hogs will get a good hire in Strong or Patterson.

GatorJamie
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 09:42:15 EDT »

(scooting over here on rumor that Lyn was getting a new boyfriend)
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 09:44:11 EDT »

(scooting over here on rumor that Lyn was getting a new boyfriend)

It's not a rumor - I fully expect to get his Super Bowl ring in the mail this week so I can start wearing it on a chain around my neck. 
GatorJamie
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 09:46:16 EDT »

LOLZ!!! Awesome. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 10:06:26 EDT »

I have a hard time imagining he wouldn't be more successful.

Much harder to see him being successful enough

But maybe he will....if and when he is the coach.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 10:24:39 EDT »

football----by far
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 10:25:37 EDT »

football----by far

IF we get him, and he then fails... it would be a fail of epic proportions.

No, no.. can't think that way.  All in.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 10:28:00 EDT »

football----by far

If we get him, not for long. Bama will extend and make Saban the highest paid, and Miles has some sort of crazy "highest paid coach" clause in his deal.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:52 EDT »

Ugh!  $6.2million per year for a guy who has never been a head coach in college football.  Yes, he was a quarterbacks and wide receivers coach in college, and he must have done some recruiting, but that was what, 23 or 24 years ago?  His overall record in the NFL as head coach was 95-81.  I know, I know, he won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay, but his overall record there was just 57-55.  I really don't see the appeal, other than the "celebrity" factor.  I just don't see the coaching appeal, but I have never viewed him as being exceptional in coaching in any way.  When Kiffin and Dooley were hired, neither were in my top 5 choices.  If he's hired, Gruden will join that club.  But, if he becomes a Vol, again, I will certainly wish him the best.  He's going to need it with kind of money at stake.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: