VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 04:21:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brian Kelly has turned ND around  (Read 4604 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2012, 04:15:55 EDT »

Top 3 team now, great D, and just went into Norman and beat them. Kelly would have taken the UT job a few years ago had we offered. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:25:14 EDT »

Top 3 team now, great D, and just went into Norman and beat them. Kelly would have taken the UT job a few years ago had we offered. 

Thanks, Hammy! 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:33:12 EDT »

Kelley has done a fine job, but I'm not sure I could make a great argument OU is any better than Miss State.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:40:04 EDT »

Hamilton was stupid!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 04:41:31 EDT »

Kelley has done a fine job, but I'm not sure I could make a great argument OU is any better than Miss State.

Except ND has won their games.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 05:37:10 EDT »

I absolutely agree we should have hired Kelley and he's a good coach. I was just throwing out he hasn't had as difficult a run. I'd also argue Stanford is better than MSU (and the officials may have blown the TD no call).

I'll also go back to my statement that if we had the 60th best defense college football Dooley's job would be safe.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 07:55:52 EDT »

Hm.  I think OU would beat down MSU after seeing MSU lose to bammer, which, much as it pains me to say it, is the only truly good team MSU has faced this year.

Now if MSU had beaten a team like USCe or uga, I might agree with you.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 08:20:30 EDT »

4 "elite" programs hired coaches going into 2010.  Notre Dame, FSU, USC, and Tennessee.   Looks like we fit better with the not so elite Kansas, Virginia, and Kentucky with our results.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 08:27:43 EDT »

4 "elite" programs hired coaches going into 2010.  Notre Dame, FSU, USC, and Tennessee.   Looks like we fit better with the not so elite Kansas, Virginia, and Kentucky with our results.

All three of those inherited a much, much better situation than us, unfortunately.  All also have good coaches, other than USC.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:30:57 EDT »

All three of those inherited a much, much better situation than us, unfortunately.  All also have good coaches, other than USC.   

Which is why no one expected Tennessee to be in the national championship conversation with those other three this season. But winning just one game we weren't supposed to win over the course of the past three seasons would have been nice.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 08:43:12 EDT »

That's not a valid excuse in 2012.  We are talented enough to have beaten everyone but Bama this year. 
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 08:48:55 EDT »

FSU was coming of 7-6, and Notre Dame 6-6.  Both were thought to be at historic lows talent-wise.  Now a good argument can still be made that their low talent was better than our low talent, but the argument remains that they are beating some pretty decent teams, we are not.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 08:57:37 EDT »

UT was the only one in that group going to their third coach in three years, while the others were replacing the original standing coach. Big difference with the extra transition cost of players leaving, etc. One even promoted from within.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:07:20 EDT »

FSU was coming of 7-6, and Notre Dame 6-6.  Both were thought to be at historic lows talent-wise.  Now a good argument can still be made that their low talent was better than our low talent, but the argument remains that they are beating some pretty decent teams, we are not.

I'll play.  I would argue that UT 2012 is where Notre Dame, FSU, and USC were in 2010, though you could argue that either way (by which I mean, you could argue that it was better, you could argue that it was worse).  Coming off a near-500 year with a reasonable talent level.

In 2010, I would argue we were far worse than them, and that this was compounded by injuries last year.

You could also make a good case that where ND, FSU and USC were in 2010 was comparable to UT in 2009.

To which....I present the 2010 records of those coaches, plus Kiffin's UT record in 2009

FSU/Fisher 10-4 ACC
USCw/Kiffin 8-5 Pac-10
ND/Kelly 8-5 Independent
UT/Kiffin 7-6 SEC

I also post the conferences as a reminder that the SEC is much tougher than definitely the ACC and also the Pac-10.  I don't know how tough ND's schedule was in 2010, but they usually have a fairly tough schedule.

If you accept the premise that this year is more like 2010, then I find Dooley's performance in-line with the others...IF he wins out, and that includes the bowl.

And FTR, my personal ratings of the coaches is Kelly, Fisher, Kiffin, Dooley, based mostly on this year, but I never thought Kiffin's 7-6 showing at UT was that great and I actually think Dooley could move past him.  Take away Monte and Kiffin loses now, IMO.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: