VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 06:54:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Read Tony Basilio's Blog Today  (Read 27466 times)
Radical
Walk-On

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2012, 04:18:13 EDT »

I know Tony is a loose cannon sometimes but his blog and info today has been approved as accurate and "Dead On" by Swan on the GQ.  Not sure if you know Swan but he is the most respected poster for info on the GQ who is not a mod.  I will try to link.

http://tonybasilio.com/index.php?page=tony
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:22:12 EDT »

I lol'd at the term "Buddy Can't Hackett".   

It's unbelievable TN football has been allowed to reach this point.  If Sal is "Dooley's guy", then there's yet more proof Dooley doesn't have a clue.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:25:28 EDT »

swan confirming it is about as good an endorsement as can get
Radical
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:26:30 EDT »

I lol'd at the term "Buddy Can't Hackett".  

It's unbelievable TN football has been allowed to reach this point.  If Sal is "Dooley's guy", then there's yet more proof Dooley doesn't have a clue.

Im trying not to pile on Dooley today but I still can't get over the "I don't go over the defensive game plan" post game quote.  SMH
do you think the boosters have taken this out of Hart's hands because of the Sal hire or just because they are the ones paying?
Radical
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 04:27:34 EDT »

swan confirming it is about as good an endorsement as can get

Amen
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:28:20 EDT »

Im trying not to pile on Dooley today but I still can't get over the "I don't go over the defensive game plan" post game quote.  SMH
do you think the boosters have taken this out of Hart's hands because of the Sal hire or just because they are the ones paying?

That isn't too out of the ordinary, many head coaches do focus on one side, BUT knowing how bad the defense has been he should be more involved on that side and certainly should not have said that.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:33:48 EDT »

Like usual, I am sorry I clicked a link.     If this is true, then the UTAD is much worse off than I thought and Hart is not the person for the job:

"Here's how this thing is working.  The major boosters are handling this. Hart has very little input in it. They've told him to sit tight and when it's time to work the deal, they’ll bring him in.  But they are not leaving the heavy lifting to him.  That's why Jimmy Hyams can say over the weekend several times that Hart hasn't talked with anybody from Gruden's camp.  Because he hasn't and he won't.  That is until it's time to make a deal.  I understand Dave Hart is upset about me reporting this stuff but I have to do my job."

If I ever find out it's true that the inmates are running the asylum, then they can do without my piddling donation and I will never attend another game.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 04:34:53 EDT »

BUT knowing how bad the defense has been he should be more involved on that side and certainly should not have said that.

Bingo

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:36:01 EDT »

I think they know this is a business decision at this point.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 04:47:03 EDT »

If the boosters can take this out of Hart's hands, then UT should get rid of Hart and just admit a total lack of control exists in all facets of the athletics department.  That is simply unacceptable.    Why didn't they do that with Hamilton?  He got them to donate vast sums; that was his expertise.  An AD has to have control, for good or bad.  I tend to think this is simply hyperbole and wishful thinking by those who can't get real information, but....   
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 04:51:14 EDT »

Like usual, I am sorry I clicked a link.     If this is true, then the UTAD is much worse off than I thought and Hart is not the person for the job:

"Here's how this thing is working.  The major boosters are handling this. Hart has very little input in it. They've told him to sit tight and when it's time to work the deal, they’ll bring him in.  But they are not leaving the heavy lifting to him.  That's why Jimmy Hyams can say over the weekend several times that Hart hasn't talked with anybody from Gruden's camp.  Because he hasn't and he won't.  That is until it's time to make a deal.  I understand Dave Hart is upset about me reporting this stuff but I have to do my job."

If I ever find out it's true that the inmates are running the asylum, then they can do without my piddling donation and I will never attend another game.

If They bring in a great Coach,God Bless Them!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 04:53:11 EDT »

If the boosters can take this out of Hart's hands, then UT should get rid of Hart and just admit a total lack of control exists in all facets of the athletics department.  That is simply unacceptable.    Why didn't they do that with Hamilton?  He got them to donate vast sums; that was his expertise.  An AD has to have control, for good or bad.  I tend to think this is simply hyperbole and wishful thinking by those who can't get real information, but....   

I think this is an overreaction. The boosters or whatever external contingent is talking with Gruden or other coaches give Hart plausible deniability. With Dooley still employed I think that matters.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 05:00:41 EDT »

I still stick by my paragraph on Hart:
http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=25280.msg120996#msg120996

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 05:05:03 EDT »

I think this is an overreaction. The boosters or whatever external contingent is talking with Gruden or other coaches give Hart plausible deniability. With Dooley still employed I think that matters.

I disagree.  That was my first reaction, but the usual practice is for the AD to use intermediaries, and the intermediaries deal with the same for the prospective coach.  That way they can both say that "they" have never spoken/been in contact.  But that is not what is said to be happening:

"The major boosters are handling this."
"Hart has very little input in it."
"They've told him to sit tight and when it's time to work the deal, they’ll bring him in."

Sorry, but that is not the usual practice as I have always understood it to exist.  Hamilton used intermediaries and kept the process secret, but he never relinquished control.  That is the AD's job!  I still think this is total garbage, except that perhaps Hart is using intermediaries.  But, if he has relinquished control "until it's time to make a deal," then I find that unacceptable.  They could revive Neyland from the grave and win 100% of their games and I would never go to another game.  I don't want boosters running the AD.  And, no, I don't think they ever have in the past.  Woodruff, Dickey and even Hamilton had too much backbone for that.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 05:09:47 EDT »

I disagree.  That was my first reaction, but the usual practice is for the AD to use intermediaries, and the intermediaries deal with the same for the prospective coach.  That way they can both say that "they" have never spoken/been in contact.  But that is not what is said to be happening:

"They've told him to sit tight and when it's time to work the deal, they’ll bring him in."

Sorry, but that is not the usual practice as I have always understood it to exist.  Hamilton used intermediaries and kept the process secret, but he never relinquished control.  That is the AD's job!  I still think this is total garbage, except that perhaps Hart is using intermediaries.  But, if he has relinquished control "until it's time to make a deal," then I find that unacceptable.  They could revive Neyland from the grave and win 100% of their games and I would never go to another game.  I don't want boosters running the AD.  And, no, I don't think they ever have in the past.  Woodruff, Dickey and even Hamilton had too much backbone for that.

I think we have to keep in mind that this is coming from Basilio and is in his words. We can argue about the way he phrased it but these aren't quotes from a source . . . they are Tony sharing what he thinks is happening.

My impression of Hart is that he is a stronger leader than Hamilton. I'm not afraid of what you are afraid of because I highly doubt that is what is happening. It's also entirely possible that Basilio's source has no clue.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 05:15:16 EDT »

I think we have to keep in mind that this is coming from Basilio and is in his words. We can argue about the way he phrased it but these aren't quotes from a source . . . they are Tony sharing what he thinks is happening.

My impression of Hart is that he is a stronger leader than Hamilton. I'm not afraid of what you are afraid of because I highly doubt that is what is happening. It's also entirely possible that Basilio's source has no clue.

Hence my first comment, "Like usual, I am sorry I clicked a link."    I should never do that..........NEVER!    I hate sites like that.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 05:16:30 EDT »

Hence my first comment, "Like usual, I am sorry I clicked a link."    I should never do that..........NEVER!    I hate sites like that.

I know what you mean. It takes a pretty good filter to not get worked up when you read some of these things . . . and I suppose it wouldn't be a bad policy to say "anything I have to filter that much isn't worth reading." Still, sometimes I can't help myself.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 05:18:54 EDT »

The good news is I haven't been able to open that blog for awhile.  Kinda peaceful actually ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 05:33:45 EDT »

Just so I'm clear, you don't think any of these guys are credible unless they're plugged into the UTAD.  Is that correct?
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 05:36:41 EDT »

Wasn't that the problem with SMU in the late 70's and 80's?

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 05:47:09 EDT »

Just so I'm clear, you don't think any of these guys are credible unless they're plugged into the UTAD.  Is that correct?
I do not think a single person posting on tweeter or message board is credible with regards to what is going on inside the UTAD
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:51:03 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 05:48:00 EDT »

Just so I'm clear, you don't think any of these guys are credible unless they're plugged into the UTAD.  Is that correct?

Nope, not at all, and I am not sure where that comes from.  But, since the UTAD is the ultimate source of information, even by leaks, that would certainly help.  That's where sources get their information, regardless of who the sources are and how fair down the source chain they are.  Information almost has to start with the UTAD.  If it doesn't, how credible can it be?  I just have never liked sites like that one, ever.  Personal preference.
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 06:09:59 EDT »

Seems weird to me that Hart wouldn't be the point man in all this, or that he would stand for it. But then, I've heard of AD's micromanaging to the point where they might determine assistant coaches, etc., which isn't right in my mind. I guess I'm saying that I've seen stranger things than Board members telling an AD we're taking the rains for a while on a matter such as this.
  If this were true, maybe it's to give Hart cover, because he's the one that will be asked. I don't agree with this heavy handed action, but then at least these guys are UT men, who want the football program to succeed, and they have a heavy stake in UT's success, esp football. I mean if this is true, at least I'm glad it's UT men making decisions for UT football.  
VOLveeta
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 06:21:09 EDT »

I'm sorry... and I am 100% behind change, but this approach seriously makes me feel terrible for Coach Dooley.  All of this talk, the way this is being "handled", and now his family is abused at the SC game, all of it.  I swear!  It's fizzleing football!  SO many more important things in this world.  Ugh.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 06:23:29 EDT »

Maybe it is not a case of the inmates running the asylum.  Maybe it is a case of sending Benjamin Franklin to France.  Well spoken, strong people skills, and with unquestioned authority to deal on behalf of the nation.  If we hired a search firm to approach France, we might all be having tea and crumpets this afternoon.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: