VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 04:17:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am beginning to believe that Dooley  (Read 27406 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 04:27:01 EST »

What is your hunch?  Anyone can claim that things are progressing exactly according to his hunch if he doesn't make his hunch known up front.

I had a hunch you were going to say that.  FWIW, you know.   
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:04 EST »

I've been resisting this idea because I find the thought that Cheek is working against UT athletics preposterous because of how short-sighted that would make Cheek. The man could be a lot of things but I don't believe he's an idiot.

You have to truly live in an ivory tower to think that a downgrade in the importance of UT athletics is necessary for its academics to shine. No, I think it's more than that . . . you have to live in such a tower to believe a downgrade in UT athletics won't hurt its academics. A guy like Cheek-- who spent his entire career at a major SEC school with numerous successful programs and championships while having very good academics for a public school-- surely must understand that you can't expect people in the south to detach themselves from football but still feel just as passionate about their university. That is wishful thinking at its very best.

This is why I still don't think Cheek is playing the role in this that is rumored. I'm still inclined to think it's conspiracy nonsense that goes back to irritation at hiring two administrators (DiPietro and Cheek) that had spent a number of years at UF.  Maybe we'll find out the truth sometime.

Totally agree Clockwork.  No one knows what is going on behind close doors.  I honestly don't believe some of the "rumors" out there that Cheek is working against Hart.  I would think if that was the case, that several media outlets would be reporting this.  I haven't seen anyone reporting that except people that think they are in the know!  Unless I have missed something...please someone correct me if I am wrong....but I have seen nothing like that stated from a reputable media source.

With that said, Cheek spent his time at UF which has a strong athletic program.  I would believe he would understand about needing a strong athletic program.  Also, people talk about Cheek wanting to improve the academic side like it is a bad thing.  I think most people fail to realize that UF, UGA etc are all national ranked acedemic wise and are a top 25 school, which is what UT is trying to achieve.  Those things have more to do with research dollars than anything, which has nothing to do with athletics. 

With all that being side, I still believe if we lose one of the remaining games that Dooley will be gone.  Whether we like it or not, nothing was going to happen before the season was over.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 04:54:37 EST »

Or that a range of options are being considered, depending on how it goes from here.

Again, FWIW, this is all playing out so far based on a hunch I have, which is just that, a hunch.  But so far....

Bandit, you keep saying you have a hunch but never tell what that hunch is, which is funny.  Why don't you enlighten all of us about what your "hunch" is.  Why be so close to the vest about it anyway?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 05:14:00 EST »

With that said, Cheek spent his time at UF which has a strong athletic program.  I would believe he would understand about needing a strong athletic program.  Also, people talk about Cheek wanting to improve the academic side like it is a bad thing.  I think most people fail to realize that UF, UGA etc are all national ranked acedemic wise and are a top 25 school, which is what UT is trying to achieve.  Those things have more to do with research dollars than anything, which has nothing to do with athletics.  

Bingo. I think the state government and UT administration wants UT to be, pound for pound, on par with SEC schools like UF, UGA, and Texas A&M. It's not like any of them ignore athletics.

In fact, let's take a look at the top 25 public universities (per US news):

University of California--Berkeley (UC system flagship-- still pursues athletic success)
University of California--Los Angeles (UC system-- has major sport conference and national championships  in recent years)
University of Virginia (major sport conference titles and post-season appearances in recent years)
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor (consistently competitive for championships in all major sports)
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill (consistently competitive for championships in multiple major sports; hired Butch Davis to try to do the same in football)
College of William and Mary (small liberal arts school)
Georgia Institute of Technology (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of California--Davis (UC system; not top tier in major sports)
University of California--San Diego (UC system; not top tier in major sports)
University of California--Santa Barbara (UC system; not top tier in major sports)
University of Wisconsin--Madison (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of California--Irvine (UC system; not top tier in major sports)
Pennsylvania State University--University Park (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Texas--Austin (consistently competitive for championships in all major sports)
University of Washington (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Florida (consistently competitive for championships in all major sports)
Ohio State University--Columbus (consistently competitive for championships in all major sports)
University of Maryland--College Park (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Pittsburgh (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Connecticut (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Georgia (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
Purdue University--West Lafayette (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
Texas A&M University--College Station (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
Clemson University (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)

Of the top 25 I count only five who do not make athletics a priority in addition to their academic excellence, and those are William and Mary (less than 10k students, semi-private) and four UC-system schools (and the two best known campuses do field competitive teams). Anyone harboring illusions that we must de-prioritize athletics to join this group does not have a grasp on reality. I won't believe Cheek thinks that unless I see real evidence of it.

I also agree 100% that it's absurd for anyone who claims to care about UT to criticize or mock the Top 25 Initiative.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:26:27 EST by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 05:26:42 EST »

Ansley? Or Conklin?
I think the DL has improved under Palermo.  Conklin, maybe IMO.

I know Conklin is suposed to be a young up and comer but he is in the box calling down to Sal and frankly I think the kids are not being put in the proper formation/positions a lot of the time and he has to share the credit/blame for that.

I haven't seen anything out of Ansley or his players that give me confidence.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:30:25 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 07:14:13 EST »

Bingo. I think the state government and UT administration wants UT to be, pound for pound, on par with SEC schools like UF, UGA, and Texas A&M. It's not like any of them ignore athletics.

In fact, let's take a look at the top 25 public universities (per US news):

University of California--Berkeley (UC system flagship-- still pursues athletic success)
University of California--Los Angeles (UC system-- has major sport conference and national championships  in recent years)
University of Virginia (major sport conference titles and post-season appearances in recent years)
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor (consistently competitive for championships in all major sports)
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill (consistently competitive for championships in multiple major sports; hired Butch Davis to try to do the same in football)
College of William and Mary (small liberal arts school)
Georgia Institute of Technology (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of California--Davis (UC system; not top tier in major sports)
University of California--San Diego (UC system; not top tier in major sports)
University of California--Santa Barbara (UC system; not top tier in major sports)
University of Wisconsin--Madison (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of California--Irvine (UC system; not top tier in major sports)
Pennsylvania State University--University Park (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Texas--Austin (consistently competitive for championships in all major sports)
University of Washington (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Florida (consistently competitive for championships in all major sports)
Ohio State University--Columbus (consistently competitive for championships in all major sports)
University of Maryland--College Park (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Pittsburgh (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Connecticut (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
University of Georgia (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
Purdue University--West Lafayette (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
Texas A&M University--College Station (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)
Clemson University (consistently competitive for championships in major sports)

Of the top 25 I count only five who do not make athletics a priority in addition to their academic excellence, and those are William and Mary (less than 10k students, semi-private) and four UC-system schools (and the two best known campuses do field competitive teams). Anyone harboring illusions that we must de-prioritize athletics to join this group does not have a grasp on reality. I won't believe Cheek thinks that unless I see real evidence of it.

I also agree 100% that it's absurd for anyone who claims to care about UT to criticize or mock the Top 25 Initiative.

William & Mary has a good program in FCS. I think they won the FCS football playoffs not long ago

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Creek Walker
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 07:22:26 EST »

This entire thread makes me want to go vomit.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 07:50:47 EST »

This entire thread makes me want to go vomit.
[/quote

LOL, at least get out of the tree stand first.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 08:35:46 EST »

LOL, at least get out of the tree stand first.   

You kidding? I'm not going to scent up my deer hunting spot by barfing from my tree stand. I'm not gonna lie though...reading this thread and having a friend text me a picture of the only good buck I've been getting on camera — dead and in the back of the pickup of a guy who hunts on neighboring property — did manage to ruin what was a perfectly good day.
Creek Walker
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 08:38:15 EST »

P.S.: I still believe there's no way in hell Dooley survives with a 6-6 record and I am not at all confident that Tennessee can beat Missouri and Vanderbilt. Maybe one, but not both. If anyone believes the fan base is apathetic right now, tack on a loss to Vandy and see how many show up for UK. 50k, maybe? Next season's opener against Austin Peay may set an all-time attendance low for a season opener at Neyland Stadium. Another loss will force their hand, whether or not there's any smoke behind the Cheek rumors (which I still don't really buy...I haven't seen any speculation from anyone "in the know" but admittedly I'm not looking hard. I haven't read VQ in months).

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 09:56:08 EST »

I think you are right, assuming he wins out. If I was Dooley, I would be making the following arguments:

1) In 3 years, I have built the most prolific offense in the history of the school;
2) We have issues on defense because our DC and LB coach left the program to return closer to their home in the PAC12;
3) We hired a new DC from Alabama with everyone on board, including Hart, as he gave a wondeful recomendation for the hire;
4) However, it did not work out and I will be addressing this issue after the season;
5) In the meantime, we will work to land Green, North, Bell, and other SEC athletes that this team still lacks, maintain our discipline, and continue to improve our academic progress.

Not saying it will work, but that would be my stance.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 10:11:01 EST »

Where's the picture of the deer taken by your neighbor's black powder hunting friend?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 10:13:24 EST »

I think you are right, assuming he wins out. If I was Dooley, I would be making the following arguments:

1) In 3 years, I have built the most prolific offense in the history of the school;
2) We have issues on defense because our DC and LB coach left the program to return closer to their home in the PAC12;
3) We hired a new DC from Alabama with everyone on board, including Hart, as he gave a wondeful recomendation for the hire;
4) However, it did not work out and I will be addressing this issue after the season;
5) In the meantime, we will work to land Green, North, Bell, and other SEC athletes that this team still lacks, maintain our discipline, and continue to improve our academic progress.

And quite carefully avoid uttering "seven," "SEC wins," and "three seasons" too close together, lest the dots be connected.

EDIT: If he wins out it would be seven. Still terrible.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:36 EST »

And if I was a fan (which I am), I would make the following argument (which I will):

1.) Who gives a shizzle?

Seriously, I never thought I would reach the stage of DNGAF. But I'm there.
Creek Walker
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 10:48:56 EST »

Btw, Hyams (yeah, go ahead and laugh) is saying today that the pathetic turnout for the Troy game has changed Cheek's mind and that he no longer supports Dooley, based on the people he (Hyams) is talking to.

With Hyams, who knows. But I had considered playing a hypocrite and taking my kids to Saturday's game since I can get free tickets. If there appears to be substance to what Hyams is saying, I'll take one for the team and stay home.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 11:05:41 EST »

Btw, Hyams (yeah, go ahead and laugh) is saying today that the pathetic turnout for the Troy game has changed Cheek's mind and that he no longer supports Dooley, based on the people he (Hyams) is talking to.

With Hyams, who knows. But I had considered playing a hypocrite and taking my kids to Saturday's game since I can get free tickets. If there appears to be substance to what Hyams is saying, I'll take one for the team and stay home.

I'll be going, how would you get free tickets?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 11:14:29 EST »

At the bottom of a box of Frosted Flakes?

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 11:15:19 EST »

smh
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2012, 11:18:06 EST »

smh

Lol, sthu
Creek Walker
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 12:21:23 EST »

A kind-hearted citizen who recognizes my charm and good will.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23:38 EST »

LOL! "have a little patience"  Hey, why don't we just give him a contract extension for all his moral victories?  After all, progress!

If you can't get close, you can't win the next one.  Logic!  Not a favorite of SEC football fans.   

And FTR, regardless who our corch is next year, I think we can beat uga and USCe at home.  We almost took them both on the road this year and they both lose quite a bit...don't know for sure that Murray is going pro though, so I will tie it to him being out for sure.  Feel free to save this post and ridicule me mercilessly if I am wrong.  I stand by it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2012, 12:25:52 EST »

So? If you, me, or any of us is right about how this plays out.. It's because of pure luck.  None of us really knows what's going on behind the scenes.

No argument here, that's pretty much why I am stressing it's a hunch.  But it is based on observation.  See response to Stogie.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 12:52:19 EST »

What is your hunch?  Anyone can claim that things are progressing exactly according to his hunch if he doesn't make his hunch known up front.

Sigh.  Well, I haven't made it clear because...feel free to laugh me off the board...if I am right, it gives the people who have been pressing for a change since essentially last December open lines of attack, if in fact, I am correct.

I have no illusions, none whatever, that I affect things at all.  It's just, if I am right, then I think Hart is playing it very intelligently and I don't want to tip his hand.

But go ahead and laugh at my pretension, and I will go ahead and spill the beans.

My hunch is that Hart has been playing for time all along.  The central piece of evidence is the Assistant Coach contracts.  Hart was intimately involved in those, in fact, he is the signature authority, and so he obviously had two years in mind when he signed them!  (in case you didn't read my two posts below, 7 of our ACs have a two year contract through the end of 2013).  Not only is he smart enough to figure out that we might get 2 of our 3 offensive stars back next year, it gives Sunseri a whole year to get his shizzle together.  We might struggle a bit on D this year, but be pretty good next year, probably compete for the East title and get Dooley to his fifth year.  If Dooley fails next year, very easy to pull the trigger and do a re-start with essentially an all new cast on offense in 2014.  Then the fanbase is patient with the new coach.  Or so he thought.  Unfortunately, the Suneri hire is an EPIC FAIL.  But....

All you have to do is look at how the contracts are structured. 

The other piece of evidence is the comments Hart made right before South Carolina.  He basically said he wasn't happy with the performance on the field while mentioning financial difficulties in the AD.  At the time, I thought that meant simply that he was keeping his options open depending on the performance the rest of the way, but he definitely opened the door to either course of action.  Others interpreted this as a sure sign that Dooley was getting fired the Monday after the USCe game, at which I actually LOL'd privately.

Next piece of evidence...his anger at the MSU game.  He desperately wanted Dooley to beat a ranked team, any ranked team, so that his plan could stay on schedule.  When the best chance for that failed, he knew that a shizzlety two months lay ahead.  Wouldn't wanna be him right now!

Final piece of evidence...Revolver actually cued me in to this when he said the Gruden rumors were the most coherent football internet rumors he had ever seen.  I checked around, and completely agreed with that observation.  This suggested to me a deliberate leak by Hart.  Why?  To distract the fanbase!  To give Dooley time to get into November, win 4 in a row, go to a bowl and make it for one more year.  Particularly when I learned that Gruden made $4 million a year at ESPN, there is no way he would contemplate going to a hot seat college job for a relatively small raise.  Would anyone in their right mind?  Which says that the Gruden rumors were never serious to begin with, which says that Hart is still hoping to hold on to Dooley one more year...OR pursue his real target, which could be someone named at the end of the year (Strong would be my choice).

Think about it...this site and others I checked were so giddy with the prospect of Gruden that no one cared we had a game against USCe or bammer.  It pretty much distracted the fanbase for nearly two weeks!  Brilliant move, IYAM.

So that's my hunch, for what it's worth.  Recent leaks about Cheek saying Dooley stays if he wins out only re-enforce my belief in my hunch.

But ICBW...

On the off chance that I got it completely right, I might just be effing Hart up.  But he's a big boy, he can handle it.

Whatever the case, whether Hart has another target in mind or he is willing to keep Dooley another year, primarily for financial reasons, the part that makes me glad is that whatever he is doing, he is taking his time and resisting the urge to "make a splash" or wow the more vocal and impatient part of our fanbase. 

So I am very happy with Hart, at this point in time.

I could be completely wrong about all of the above.  It's just a hunch, that I have held since the MSU game aftermath, but nothing has convinced me yet that I am offbase.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2012, 12:56:12 EST »

Bandit, you keep saying you have a hunch but never tell what that hunch is, which is funny.  Why don't you enlighten all of us about what your "hunch" is.  Why be so close to the vest about it anyway?

See my reply to Stogie...and feel free to laugh at why I didn't articulate it. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2012, 12:59:20 EST »

I think the DL has improved under Palermo.  Conklin, maybe IMO.

I know Conklin is suposed to be a young up and comer but he is in the box calling down to Sal and frankly I think the kids are not being put in the proper formation/positions a lot of the time and he has to share the credit/blame for that.

I haven't seen anything out of Ansley or his players that give me confidence.

I agree Palermo has done the only close to good job.  Ansley...nothing against the guy, but he coached DBs at Bammer, and as every bammer fan will be quick to tell you, SABAN coaches the DBs at bammer.  That's his background, and he's hands on.

So in spite of the excellant secondary bammer had while Ansley was there in 2010 and 2011 (all the starters that graduated are in the NFL!), it was likely Saban and not Ansley.  Agree that Conklin would be the other guy to keep other than Palermo...safety play has, IMO, been better than CB.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: