VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 02:40:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gary Patterson's Record  (Read 6019 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2012, 03:40:35 EST »

Obviously Gary Patterson has been playing against the JV, but he's been playing with the JV too. Here are his records from the oh-so-reliable Wikipedia. If Petrino is off the list (he shouldn't be, but is) Patterson is the guy to get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Patterson

WAC
2001 TCU 6–6 4–3 T–5th   
2002 TCU 10–2 6–2 T–1st
2003 TCU 11–2 7–1 2nd
2004 TCU 5–6 3–5 T–6th 

Mountain West
2005 TCU 11–1 8–0 1st
2006 TCU 11–2 6–2 2nd
2007 TCU 8–5 4–4 5th   
2008 TCU 11–2 7–1 2nd
2009 TCU 12–1 8–0 1st
2010 TCU 13–0 8–0 1st
2011 TCU 11–2 7–0 1st

Big 12
2012 TCU 6–4 3–4     

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 03:53:35 EST »

You have to figure he's a good choice, he has been there, done that.

Would like to see more of his record vs. the Big 12, but we don't have that luxury.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:13:02 EST »

I wonder if He's still pissed off at UT with how He was treated by Hamilton after Fulmer was let go? If He wants to be Coach at UT,I say hell yes hire Him!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:20:44 EST »

If he's ticked I'd guess he's ticked at an individual, not the school - not that I know the guy. Also, I'd like to see more of a Big 12 record too, but he's at least hanging in there in Year 1.

Were I a betting man I'd guess he's looking to get out. There's no way TCU can offer what Texas, OU, OSU, or even WVU or K State can. They(TCU) can probably do better than Baylor, but the Bears have a head start. At 52 I'd guess Patterson wants to go somewhere he can make a run at a big prize now.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 04:39:27 EST »

With Texas and Oklahoma rounding out the season there's a good chance TCU finishes 6-6 (3-6 Big XII). I don't think this reflects poorly on Patterson's coaching at all . . . taking even a strong MWC program into a BCS league is not going to be smooth sailing for anyone, and considering TCU's resources I don't think this is a bad start.

It does, though, make me think now may be the most likely time in the last several years for someone to snatch him away from TCU. He's had a season with the big boys now and it's obvious how hard it's going to be for TCU to compete with juggernauts. A place with resources like Arkansas, Auburn, or Tennessee is a different story though, and may be more appealing than ever.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:41:35 EST »

We could do worse. He doesn't excite me, though. I think he's one of the few candidates who is probably a better fit at Arkansas than Tennessee, so that might play a factor.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:46:04 EST »

My question is this. Who is the most proven winner we can get? Petrino is clearly #1 and I think it's hard to make an argument for someone other than Patterson at #2.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 04:51:38 EST »

My question is this. Who is the most proven winner we can get? Petrino is clearly #1 and I think it's hard to make an argument for someone other than Patterson at #2.

Which means that if your home run hires (people like Gruden, Stoops, etc.) are not possible then Patterson is your #1 target, because I think you avoid Petrino completely. You don't bring the circus to town again if you're UT, IMO, and with Petrino come three rings and a trapeze.

Patterson. Strong. Peterson. Who knows which of those are possibilities but I think after the home run candidates they are your top 3.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 04:55:28 EST »

As far as Petrino goes, there is more to college football than winning. If UT were to hire him, I would have to seriously question how much time and effort I put into my fandom. Fortunately I don't think that is going to happen.

I don't know if there's anyone more proven than Patterson, but here's my question: if Tennessee finishes 4-8 this season and hires a guy who is coming off a 6-6 season at TCU, how many fans are going to be in Neyland Stadium for the season opener next year? How quickly is he going to be able to turn the heads of recruits? I don't think this is the big name that UT is looking for. In 2008, before we had sorta fallen off the map as far as recruits are concerned, things would have been different. As it is, I wonder how good he could recruit at Tennessee? Obviously he's recruited well enough to have a lot of success at TCU, but he also has a heck of a better recruiting base at TCU than he would have at Tennessee.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 04:57:22 EST »

Patterson. Strong. Peterson. Who knows which of those are possibilities but I think after the home run candidates they are your top 3.

Bingo. You don't have to go beyond them because they (well, at least the first two) would definitely come and are super solid. Gotta say my only concern about Stoops is if he has enough fire left.

Also, I agree Patterson isn't an exciting hire, but some protein does more good than a Pixie Stick even though the latter gives you a quick rush. Who would be a better hire than Patterson?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:04:15 EST by murfvol » Logged

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 04:59:02 EST »

I don't understand why everyone thinks that Petrino is all that.  Besides the noise at his three previous stops, the guy broke STATE LAW by hiring his girlfriend and opened up Arkansas to a ton of legal problems.  Now look at his record.  Does he score alot of points, sure, however his defenses have always sucked.  Everytime Petrino went against LSU and Bama, he got blown out and his great offense scores nearly nothing.  We play bama and UF every year, which they will always have great defenses.  Do you really want to beat up on the other members of the SEC only to lose to UF and Bama each and every year?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 05:00:34 EST »

I don't know if there's anyone more proven than Patterson, but here's my question: if Tennessee finishes 4-8 this season and hires a guy who is coming off a 6-6 season at TCU, how many fans are going to be in Neyland Stadium for the season opener next year?

UT fans that pay any attention will read below the surface of that 6-6 record. The idiots that I want to throw things at when I go to games will continue to be idiots, and there's little that can be done about that.

How quickly is he going to be able to turn the heads of recruits? I don't think this is the big name that UT is looking for. In 2008, before we had sorta fallen off the map as far as recruits are concerned, things would have been different. As it is, I wonder how good he could recruit at Tennessee? Obviously he's recruited well enough to have a lot of success at TCU, but he also has a heck of a better recruiting base at TCU than he would have at Tennessee.

One thing that it's hard to assess the value of is relationships with high school coaches in Texas. He's spent the last decade cultivating those relationships and Texas has a crap-ton of high level recruits every year. My thing is you just have to assess how much work he's willing to put into recruiting. If you are convinced he values it and will put the hours in, then you're OK because you know he can coach, and high level recruiting will follow success on the field as long as you have a coach that puts the time in.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 05:17:50 EST »

My guess is if Patterson was able to formulate a plan for recruiting and carry it out for a number of years he'll be able to do that again. Obviously that's conjecture. My theory is based entirely on Patterson's lengthy record seeming to indicate he can organize a successful program. He doesn't seem to be Larry Coker.

Any yeah, I think most potential season ticket holders are probably less likely to be hyper reactionary folks looking for a sugar rush. You don't need giant blue inflatable gorillas to sell UT season tickets.

Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 06:17:04 EST »

Who would be a better hire than Patterson?

Strong. Mora. Fisher. Stoops.

With the exception of Stoops, they may not have been winning as long as Patterson but they've proven they can win, and they've proven they can do it at BCS schools. I would take any of the four over Patterson, though I don't know how many of them are legitimate candidates. Every one of them with the possible exception of Strong seems like a very long shot, but then again there is scuttlebutt that every one of them would seriously entertain an offer from.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:17 EST »

Strong. Mora. Fisher. Stoops.

With the exception of Stoops, they may not have been winning as long as Patterson but they've proven they can win, and they've proven they can do it at BCS schools. I would take any of the four over Patterson, though I don't know how many of them are legitimate candidates. Every one of them with the possible exception of Strong seems like a very long shot, but then again there is scuttlebutt that every one of them would seriously entertain an offer from.

What's your opinion of Nelson Briles,He might be an easy catch if some of the big names turn Tennessee down

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 06:58:29 EST »

What's your opinion of Nelson Briles,He might be an easy catch if some of the big names turn Tennessee down

He had a good slider, but his complete lack of experience in football makes him a questionable candidate. His death in 2005 probably hurt his ability to hit the recruiting trail too.

Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 07:24:49 EST »

He had a good slider, but his complete lack of experience in football makes him a questionable candidate. His death in 2005 probably hurt his ability to hit the recruiting trail too.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 07:41:43 EST »

I'll buy Stoops being more proven, but not neccessarily hungrier.

-Mora is less proven in college and he's a west coast guy. If you go after him make a run at Shaw (also a west coast guy who wouldn't come) first.

- Jimbo Fisher has been playing against the JV with the varsity and done well, but not been a world beater yet.

- Charlie Strong is 3rd on my list (behind Petrino and Patterson), but he certainly isn't as proven as Patterson as a head coach.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 09:02:00 EST »

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 11:56:38 EST »

Dude, you got caught making a typo.  You meant ART Briles.  I did the same thing CO may have done...googled Nelson Briles and found out he was a pitcher.

You don't find CO's clever response funny?  I did.     Don't take it personally....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: