VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 05:07:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement on Friday afternoon that...  (Read 54539 times)
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2012, 09:37:57 EST »

Let it go? It's a message board. I asked a question. I care because I am interested in what he has to say. We throw that phrase "I am shamed", "I am embarrassed" around a lot, without really thinking about it. Why would you be ashamed or embarrassed about a decision that you have no say in, or in fact, opposed?

I guess in my mind, our coach represents the University. Because of that, we identify with him. I would be embarrassed also if he pulled those antics while he was wearing our colors and leading our team.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2012, 09:38:40 EST »

Not in favor of Petrino, but also not a guy that follows or wants what's best for a coach.  I am for the program, first and always, and could actually care less who the coach is so long as he wins and is honest.  Those two are hard to match IMO, but it can be done.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 09:39:42 EST »

Yeah, I don't think Petrino's actions are in any way comparable to what transpired at PSU. Here's an analogy I heard. If you're choosing a heart surgeon do you select one based on his morals? I wouldn't even though I'd hope he (and everyone) has high character. I want a guy who is really stinking good at cutting around the heart.

When it comes to a football coach I select a coach like I would a heart surgeon.

That's all well and good, but what about the lives of all the kids on the team and the recruits that we so desperately want to come represent this University?  What happens when they invest their lives and that of the family to come play here, and they invest emotionally in the bill of goods that Petrino is selling?  What happens to those young men when Petrino lies again and does his deeds in the dark of night and it all unravels?  So if we get a few winning seasons out of the deal, it's worth it right?  If we get several 5 star kids to believe Petrino's lies and come here, and rather than sit out a year and transfer they're just stuck playing for us after Petrino is gone.. that's ok right?

That's not ok with me.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 09:40:55 EST »

That's all well and good, but what about the lives of all the kids on the team and the recruits that we so desperately want to come represent this University?  What happens when they invest their lives and that of the family to come play here, and they invest emotionally in the bill of goods that Petrino is selling?  What happens to those young men when Petrino lies again and does his deeds in the dark of night and it all unravels?  So if we get a few winning seasons out of the deal, it's worth it right?  If we get several 5 star kids to believe Petrino's lies and come here, and rather than sit out a year and transfer they're just stuck playing for us after Petrino is gone.. that's ok right?

That's not ok with me.
Amen!!!
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2012, 09:41:21 EST »

And so what if they hire him and he has a good year..do you really think that he's gonna stay for the long haul? He's proven he will jump ship in the middle of the night or try to the very second he thinks something else will come along..IMO he is clearly not the answer for UT

According to the talking heads on ESPN right now, if Petrino were offered the Auburn job, he would have to understand that this was his last chance and he would have to commit to staying there.

Whether or not he could do it, that's another story.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2012, 09:42:29 EST »

While I am not confident about who it is...I am pretty confident that it is not Petrino.  If it is then  
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 09:44:10 EST »

According to the talking heads on ESPN right now, if Petrino were offered the Auburn job, he would have to understand that this was his last chance and he would have to commit to staying there.

I hope he does go there,that's exactly where he needs to be...they are already in it deep with the NCAA
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 09:44:22 EST »

Good luck to him at Auburn    I will be more than happy for him to coach there.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 09:45:18 EST »

My top choices are Strong or Patterson...either one.  But I can settle for Gruden.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48:29 EST »

I assume that would be an understanding almost anywhere he would be hired.  Hopefully the UTAD will just avoid the whole issue and get someone better. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2012, 09:49:12 EST »

I hope he does go there,that's exactly where he needs to be...they are already in it deep with the NCAA

Yep, they deserve each other.  The only thing that would make it more fitting is if he retains Trooper.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 09:56:47 EST »

Really? So...if you were a Penn State fan you would condone that whole cover up....

LOL. You're reading what u want to read if you read that in my posts.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 09:58:11 EST »

Because we hold him to a high standard and don't want to win at any cost. You may be able ti look in the other direction at his behavior but I cannot. Let me ask you...why is it acceptable to you to have a man with no morals coach young men?  Why would you ignore that behavior pattern?

Because it's not my business. I wouldn't let him coach my son if I had one. Then it would be my business. I tend to mind my own business and I tend to not think anyone cares what I find "acceptable" or not.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 09:59:45 EST »

I just don't think the two qualities (winning vs. morals) need to be mutually exclusive.  I would want Hart to look for integrity and winning as he's considering candidates.  Integrity is very important to me.  Petrino has displayed a pattern of lack of integrity, and the whole sporting world knows it.  If we hired him, to me, we're telling the world "yeah, we know he's a snake.  We don't care about his lack of integrity.  ALL we care about is winning, and we don't care what it takes to get there"  and that is why I would be embarrassed.  Yeah, at the end of the day it's all about winning and I want to win just as bad as you.  But I'm not willing to, as a fan, go as far as to say I want to put the program in the hands of a rotten individual like Petrino.  Like Lyn said, a liar is a liar.  If a guy lies in one area, he's going to lie in another.  He's going to lie to recruits, he's going to lie to all of us.  I don't know about you, but that bothers me.  Look, I'm going to support the coach no matter who it ends up being.  It would be embarrassing to support a guy like Petrino.  Just like I'm now embarrassed to say I supported Kiffin.  It's embarrassing to have to say "yeah, I know he's a jerk.  I know he's a liar and I know he would cut my very throat if it benefited him.. but he's my coach!!!"  If that's not embarrassing to you, that's fine.  Neither one of us are right or wrong, peoples' sensibilities are just different.

I obviously don't know any major booster, but surely the boosters care enough about UT and it's image to know better.

You're making good cases not to hire him, which anyone can make. The difference again, is that you take it personally and I don't. That's fine.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2012, 10:00:37 EST »

LOL. You're reading what u want to read if you read that in my posts.

No, you have said a coach's behavior doesn't embarrass you and you seem ok with Petrino's behavior and cover up...or his attempt to cover it up. Other than the severity of the actions in question I see no difference. Are you saying you put a limit on the bad behavior you would overlook?  
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2012, 10:02:32 EST »

That's not ok with me.

I suppose I don't really think anyone cares what is ok with me or not. I doubt people place much value in what I find ok when I have zero stake in it personally.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2012, 10:05:36 EST »

I guess in my mind, our coach represents the University. Because of that, we identify with him. I would be embarrassed also if he pulled those antics while he was wearing our colors and leading our team.

Iris, I wouldn't be embarrassed at all.  The University would be, those that hired him would be. I just don't see it as if a coach embarrasses himself, then every fan of that program he coaches should be embarrassed. Not at all. I don't think Arkansas fans should be embarrassed for what he did at all.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2012, 10:06:02 EST »

FWIW, Ross Perot would fire anyone caught at adultery from his company.  His theory was that if you cheated on your wife, sooner or later you would cheat on his business.

So if you want a non-personal, business reason to reject Petrino there is one right there. 

I really would not want the negative PR that Petrino would bring but at the end of the day I also think Perot had a point.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2012, 10:06:09 EST »

Auburn is likely where he goes. They could get hammered by the NCAA soon

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2012, 10:06:27 EST »

No, you have said a coach's behavior doesn't embarrass you and you seem ok with Petrino's behavior and cover up...or his attempt to cover it up. Other than the severity of the actions in question I see no difference. Are you saying you put a limit on the bad behavior you would overlook?  

I'm not Volznut, but condoning the behavior ("condone that whole cover up") is different than being personally embarrassed by the hiring of someone who had that behavior in the past.  Nut might not condone something and also not be personally embarrassed by it.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2012, 10:09:29 EST »

1) I don't think he's coming. That being the case we should get Patterson.

2) If we hire Petrino I don't worry about him leaving. Here's why. If other teams want to hire him away that's great. It means he's killing it. I want a coach other teams want to have. Quite frankly UT needs to remind people how big you can win here. Petrino would do that.

Nothing in Petrino's college coaching history says he does things in an abnormal fashion. He left Louisville after being there several years for a better job. He didn't like the Falcons so he left for a position in Fayetteville where he would be finishing year #5 were it not for the incident. That's not the resume of a crazed job hopper.

I think Derek Dooley is a good guy, BUT chances are he would spend less time with recruits in their college careers than Petrino would. He is a good man, but just spent three years here.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:11:11 EST by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2012, 10:12:39 EST »

I'm not saying that I want him as the coach as I have issues with him leaving other places and the manner in which he left. But his personal problems, while disturbing, wouldn't rule him out for me. He had an affair and tried to cover it up. Not exactly a great character recommendation but not a deal breaker for me in the absence of other factors.

Our last coach was a man of impeccable character and morals (as far as we know). How did that work out?
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2012, 10:14:09 EST »

I'm not Volznut, but condoning the behavior ("condone that whole cover up") is different than being personally embarrassed by the hiring of someone who had that behavior in the past.  Nut might not condone something and also not be personally embarrassed by it.
Fair enough...but to me the two are hard to separate so I prefer we steer clear of anyone with such issues. Maybe if it was "just an affair" it could be overlooked but he hired her and then tried to cover the whole thing up not to mention his history before he came.  When you make a blanket statement like "I want to win I don't care what his personal life is like" you open yourself up to questions.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2012, 10:14:22 EST »

No. I said a coach's behavior says nothing about me, so why should I be embarrassed? It says nothing about the fans, so why would they be? I never said I was ok with his behavior or cover up. You're putting words in my fingers. We look at it differently. To me his behavior or cover up has nothing to do with me, so it's irrelevant whether I am ok or not.

On a macro scale, Who the hell am I to overlook or say anything is ok? Am I his judge? His mother? His morals will lead to his undoing, through cause and effect. Or maybe it won't. Not my business. If he screws up our football team then I am not ok with it, because then he is screwing up with an investment of mine - an investment in time, money, etc. Now, there is certainly an element of trust that goes with that and that's why it's easy to make a business decision to not hire him.

A business decision....not a MORAL one.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2012, 10:14:57 EST »

FWIW, Ross Perot would fire anyone caught at adultery from his company.  His theory was that if you cheated on your wife, sooner or later you would cheat on his business.

So if you want a non-personal, business reason to reject Petrino there is one right there. 

I really would not want the negative PR that Petrino would bring but at the end of the day I also think Perot had a point.

That's his personal business. he can do as he likes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: