VTTW Board Index
April 16, 2024, 09:30:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement on Friday afternoon that...  (Read 54517 times)
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2012, 10:16:46 EST »

Iris, I wouldn't be embarrassed at all.  The University would be, those that hired him would be. I just don't see it as if a coach embarrasses himself, then every fan of that program he coaches should be embarrassed. Not at all. I don't think Arkansas fans should be embarrassed for what he did at all.

No but that doesn't mean we need to hire him...that is what is embarrassing...knowing GQ is a dirt bag but bringing him on board...slapping him on the back and welcoming him as a Vol. No how...no way.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2012, 10:17:42 EST »

I'm not saying that I want him as the coach as I have issues with him leaving other places and the manner in which he left. But his personal problems, while disturbing, wouldn't rule him out for me. He had an affair and tried to cover it up. Not exactly a great character recommendation but not a deal breaker for me in the absence of other factors.

Our last coach was a man of impeccable character and morals (as far as we know). How did that work out?

He basically violated University policy, which is why he was fired. There are plenty of business decisions to not hire him. However, knowing the business of college football, and how winning seems to be everything, there are also sound reasons to hire him.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2012, 10:24:02 EST »

Here's a more succinct view of my take.

The new coach has to
1) Be really good at the coaching football thing
2) Stay clear of the NCAA

I'd like the coach to
1) Be a really good man

This may be bad, but I probably have drastically different views of right and wrong from a number of individuals at UT. If the new football coach is another one that doesn't change my life much. I'd love for us to get Tony Dungy, but that's not happening and Gene Stallings isn't coming out of retirement.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2012, 10:26:30 EST »

SMH...y'all are a bunch of morally bankrupt heathens! 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2012, 10:30:42 EST »

SMH...y'all are a bunch of morally bankrupt heathens! 

what can we do Lyn, Mother Teresa ain't walking through that door. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2012, 10:33:20 EST »

Lyn, I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.  It should be noted I was castigated by my family over Thanksgiving for espousing Petrino. They were not as charitable as you.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2012, 10:38:35 EST »

Lyn, I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.  It should be noted I was castigated by my family over Thanksgiving for espousing Petrino. They were not as charitable as you.

My Dad hates Bob Petrino also. He hates Him for leaving the Falcons high and dry in the middle of the 2007 season

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2012, 10:54:29 EST »

I love to hear the people that say, it was only an affair and he doesn't have to be a choir boy.  However, what some of you fail to realize that not only was it an affair, he broke STATE LAW by hiring the girl.  Not only that, but he violated the affirmative action policy in place.  He opened Arkansas to alot of federal law suits.  Do you want that for UT?  Besides the affair, he has proven he will lie and cheat and only cares about himself and no one else. 

Now let's talk X's and O's.  Does the guy score alot of point, sure.  However, he has never put a great defense on the field.  You do understand that points puts butts in the seats, but defense wins championships?  Look at what his "great" teams did when they faced a team with a defense.  He lost to Bama and LSU EVERY TIME...and it wasn't even close.  So are you prepared to lose to Bama and UF every year from here on out....I sure am not!

There is no way I believe our next coach is that scumbag.  Not only does it go against everything Hart said we needed as a head coach, but I truly believe he has been black balled in the SEC due to his behavior. 
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2012, 11:04:26 EST »

I love to hear the people that say, it was only an affair and he doesn't have to be a choir boy.  However, what some of you fail to realize that not only was it an affair, he broke STATE LAW by hiring the girl.  Not only that, but he violated the affirmative action policy in place.  He opened Arkansas to alot of federal law suits.  Do you want that for UT?  Besides the affair, he has proven he will lie and cheat and only cares about himself and no one else. 

Now let's talk X's and O's.  Does the guy score alot of point, sure.  However, he has never put a great defense on the field.  You do understand that points puts butts in the seats, but defense wins championships?  Look at what his "great" teams did when they faced a team with a defense.  He lost to Bama and LSU EVERY TIME...and it wasn't even close.  So are you prepared to lose to Bama and UF every year from here on out....I sure am not!

There is no way I believe our next coach is that scumbag.  Not only does it go against everything Hart said we needed as a head coach, but I truly believe he has been black balled in the SEC due to his behavior. 

In addition to the above, he need to be able to recruit. That means, walking into a living room and convincing a mother/father that he will be a father figure for their son while he is in Knoxville. As a parent, I would have a few questions if he came in to recruit my son.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2012, 11:09:23 EST »

In 2010 he beat LSU and lost to Bama by 4. Those were in his third year. He did lose to LSU last year and in his second year (by 3), but beat the Tigers in his first season.

It's probably also worth noting he fired his DC after last season so he was aware of the need to upgrade defense.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/yearly_results.php?year=2010

Quasi EVol
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2012, 12:40:19 EST »

what can we do Lyn, Mother Teresa ain't walking through that door. 

Are you trying to prepare us for Jackie Sherrill?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2012, 01:15:06 EST »

Are you trying to prepare us for Jackie Sherrill?

Let the castration begin

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2012, 01:16:28 EST »

According to the talking heads on ESPN right now, if Petrino were offered the Auburn job, he would have to understand that this was his last chance and he would have to commit to staying there.

Whether or not he could do it, that's another story.
Well, he lied about sneaking around interviewing for the job once before ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2012, 01:49:04 EST »

Well, he lied about sneaking around interviewing for the job once before ...

And that's why I'm not in favor of hiring him. I think he's shady professionally.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2012, 03:16:47 EST »

I've read rumors that BP has been blackballed-banned in the sec before(It was brought up on the Catspause message board).

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2012, 05:03:24 EST »

That's his personal business. he can do as he likes.

He is obviously a smart coach(unlike the one we just fired), I have not too much problem with his affair(personal life, not my buisness.....between him and the wife), the issue to me is trying to cover up and about the accident, and they way he has left Louisville and Atlanta............................................................
Too many people make way to big of a deal about PEOPLES personal lives.......................................I am not making excuses, just not my buisness......................could give less than 2 shizzles about who he is having sex with..........................................JMHO

Go Big Orange.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2012, 05:12:34 EST »

He is obviously a smart coach(unlike the one we just fired), I have not too much problem with his affair(personal life, not my buisness.....between him and the wife), the issue to me is trying to cover up and about the accident, and they way he has left Louisville and Atlanta............................................................
Too many people make way to big of a deal about PEOPLES personal lives.......................................I am not making excuses, just not my buisness......................could give less than 2 shizzles about who he is having sex with..........................................JMHO

Again, it has nothing to do with the affair.  he didn't get fired because of that.  He got fired because he lied to his boss, broke state law by hiring the woman, and broke the affirmative action policy, not to mention opening Arkansas to federal lawsuits.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2012, 07:05:04 EST »

Because it's not my business. I wouldn't let him coach my son if I had one. Then it would be my business. I tend to mind my own business and I tend to not think anyone cares what I find "acceptable" or not.

Nut, you know I enjoy your posts and have said so many times. I think philisophically we are on the same page. Where I think some people are differing with you is their emotional devotion to this team and the sense of "respect" it sould have. Personally, I don't want to see Petrino at UT. I think the university can find a coach that will lead the team to victory who doesn't carry Petrino's baggage. This is the Bible Belt and his stuff won't go over well here. It's just not a good fit for the university, I don't think.

You have solid logic, but it is more than that to many fans. Not only do they want to win, they want to do it and have the university respected. I'm old-school, was around when the Bear was a drunkard and accepted but those days have gone by to a new generation, or so it seems.

I haven't read the board past this post and you may have addressed. No big deal; but, I do see your point as far as getting a successful coach to lead the team being first and foremost. But, as someone who grew up in small-town Tennesse - his crap ani't gonna fly well with the locals. And you can't alienate the women cuz they are now more than 50% of the population (and many control the wallet now-adays).

Just my thoughts and not argumentative.

G   
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2012, 02:21:06 EST »

Nut, you know I enjoy your posts and have said so many times. I think philisophically we are on the same page. Where I think some people are differing with you is their emotional devotion to this team and the sense of "respect" it sould have. Personally, I don't want to see Petrino at UT. I think the university can find a coach that will lead the team to victory who doesn't carry Petrino's baggage. This is the Bible Belt and his stuff won't go over well here. It's just not a good fit for the university, I don't think.

You have solid logic, but it is more than that to many fans. Not only do they want to win, they want to do it and have the university respected. I'm old-school, was around when the Bear was a drunkard and accepted but those days have gone by to a new generation, or so it seems.

I haven't read the board past this post and you may have addressed. No big deal; but, I do see your point as far as getting a successful coach to lead the team being first and foremost. But, as someone who grew up in small-town Tennesse - his crap ani't gonna fly well with the locals. And you can't alienate the women cuz they are now more than 50% of the population (and many control the wallet now-adays).

Just my thoughts and not argumentative.

G    

I have emotional ties to the team. Not the coach. I know what you are saying, and that's why I know we won't hire Petrino. I have said that before as well. I also agree that Petrino would have problems recruiting, and that is a solid business reason to not hire him. As for growing up in small town Tenn, I grew up in Morristown, so I am fully aware of your points! 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:22:46 EST by Volznut » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2012, 02:28:24 EST »

This is now the #2 topic (in replies) ever on the board, nice work TRO!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2012, 10:48:24 EST »

This is now the #2 topic (in replies) ever on the board, nice work TRO!

First this post, then a post indicating, "Hearing chatter about a presser on Friday at 3:00pm," then the official announcement that Gruden has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Tennessee job: http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/nov/27/gruden-withdraws-from-ut-coaching-search.  It's all adding up to the hiring of Bobby Petrino. 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2012, 10:49:53 EST »

First this post, then a post indicating, "Hearing chatter about a presser on Friday at 3:00pm," then the official announcement that Gruden has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Tennessee job: http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/nov/27/gruden-withdraws-from-ut-coaching-search.  It's all adding up to the hiring of Bobby Petrino. 

LOL!!!

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2012, 10:51:33 EST »

You are a cruel man. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2012, 11:44:46 EST »

You are a cruel man. 
No, he is a CRUEL, CRUEL, CRUEL man

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2012, 12:02:05 EST »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: