VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:56:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SIAP - but this is an article about Gruden that heats it up  (Read 7177 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:44:44 EST »

http://wreg.com/2012/11/27/news-channel-3-learns-of-tennessees-new-twist-to-lure-gruden/
Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:59:49 EST »

I was getting ready to post this. Earlier today, someone (with alleged insider info) on VN essentially said the same thing the news story is reporting and I thought it was a bunch of bull... Maybe I was wrong... I just hope WREG is not getting their info from VN...
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:02:05 EST »

Not living in Memphis, I wonder what WREG's reputation is? To say that they have "learned" of this proposed contract is pretty strong language. One would hope they wouldn't just take a messageboard rumor and run with it, but as Mean Old Man says, that lines up nearly perfectly with what was said earlier on VN.

I just don't buy it for a second. The part about Gruden getting a stake in the Browns franchise just doesn't make sense.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:25:39 EST »

@John_Infante: Current NCAA rules would prohibit this Gruden-Browns nonsense unless ownership stake was first donated to Tennessee.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 02:16:01 EST »

You don't give away ownership stakes in an NFL franchise. Rich people don't get rich by doing dumb things. Well, they at least don't stay rich.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:29:11 EST »

Gruden and the Browns are denying this rumor. It looks as if WREG and VN have the same source afterall.

http://m.knoxnews.com/news/2012/nov/28/memphis-report-says-gruden-ut-stake-browns/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:41:31 EST by Mean Old Man » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 04:13:15 EST »

Found this take from VN interesting: (fyi Sexton is Jimbo Fisher's agent)

Hint: A certain super coaching agent may or may not live and work in memphis...

Hint: This super coaching agent may or may not represent other candidates not named john gruden who are interested in the tennessee job...

Hint: This super agent may or may not have leaked this story to the same news station the lane kiffin news broke on hoping it would put pressure on hart and gruden to make this decision one way or the other sooner and more public than previously anticipated.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 04:25:27 EST »

Hint: This super coaching agent may or may not represent other candidates not named john gruden who are interested in the tennessee job...

Hint: This super agent may or may not have leaked this story to the same news station the lane kiffin news broke on hoping it would put pressure on hart and gruden to make this decision one way or the other sooner and more public than previously anticipated.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who'd be thrilled to never hear Jimmy Sexton's name associated with UT coaches again.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 04:29:00 EST »

I saw this too but I'm not buying it.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who'd be thrilled to never hear Jimmy Sexton's name associated with UT coaches again.

Agreed...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:31:27 EST by Mean Old Man » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 04:29:32 EST »

What if that theory is right on, and the question on Mike and Mike was staged to thwart Sexton's ploy.  Just a thought.
Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 04:32:39 EST »

What if that theory is right on, and the question on Mike and Mike was staged to thwart Sexton's ploy.  Just a thought.

This sounds like something you might hear on VN 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 04:33:33 EST »

That may be one step too far. Too many moving parts. But I wouldn't be surprised about the Sexton thing.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 04:40:42 EST »

Just fun speculation on my part, nothing more fellas. 
Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 04:42:57 EST »

Going back to the story from WREG, the guy who put this out there appears to be a pretty well respected media figure. I wonder where he got his info. Lots of unconnected, regular folks like myself had some serious doubts about this story when we saw it (it just didn’t add up), so how does it get past a guy who has been in the sports biz for years?

Also, I do not know exactly how things work in the media but I would think they would have some sort of fact check/editorial/quality control process to keep things like this from happening.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 05:33:11 EST »

One thing we can probably agree on is Jimmy Sexton is working all angles really hard right now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:15:16 EST by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 05:43:12 EST »

One thing I think we can all agree on is that it is VERY strange for a 28-year newsroom veteran to put out such a bizarre report. In all likelihood, he isn't going to grab a rumor from a messageboard and run with it. Someone was feeding him this information. Who?? Sexton makes as much sense as anyone. Without going back and studying the timeline, I don't know the validity of this, but it has been said that this same sports anchor broke the Kiffin-to-Tennessee story in December '08. How would a Memphis TV station have beaten the Knoxville media to the punch on that . . . unless this reporter has special ties with someone in his area? And wouldn't you just know that Jimmy Sexton was Kiffin's agent.

If nothing else, it is incredibly interesting, not to mention convenient. And if — IF — this is Sexton's shenanigans, then that means one thing: Jimbo wants out of Tallahassee. Bad. I was one of those people skeptical about why he would want to leave Florida State for Tennessee. But now I wonder.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 06:18:43 EST »

I think you're on to something. Well, Jimbo either wants out of Tallahassee OR wants to force FSU's hand. He wins either way. What's the plumb job right now? That would be UT. Other dominos fall once that job is filled.

It should also be noted Mike Gundy is a Sexton client - or at least was at this time last year. 

VOLveeta
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 06:26:17 EST »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/28/report-jon-gruden-may-meet-with-tennessee-volunteers-ad-soon/
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 01:40:47 EST »

What's the plumb job right now? 

I think you mean "PLUM job".  Or perhaps "PLUMBER job"?  Either one works.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 11:41:55 EST »

I just happen to know a friend of Sexton's (who also lives in Memphis). I ran this theory by him today, just for shizzles and giggles. He says that he thinks it is spot-on. TIFWIW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: