VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:26:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EmerilVol's chili - adapted  (Read 8418 times)
GatorJamie
Walk-On

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2012, 06:44:55 EST »

Hey y'all, I've been coming by more frequently to follow the Grumors and to check on my BFF VoLynteer's mental health. Though I'm not here often, I do know that EmerilVol has some awesome recipes. So when I was looking for a new chili recipe, I was very happy to see that he had poasted one. I had to adapt it a bit, though, because I hate chunky tomatoes, bell peppers, etc. I also wanted to scale back the recipe size. So I tweaked it a bit and came up with the following:

EmerilVol’s Chili - adapted
Serves 6

2 t Olive Oil (Extra Virgin please)
1 lb 93/7 Ground Beef
½ lb ground pork
1/4 large sweet onion (white)
1 clove of garlic (minced)
1 can tomato sauce
½ cup beef broth (+1c more)
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can light red kidney beans (do not use pintos in this chili)
2 t paprika
2 t chili powder (+3 more)
1 t dry mustard powder
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1/4 t red pepper flakes
¾ t white pepper
1/8 t black pepper (fresh ground)
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t thyme
1t salt
1 small can tomato paste
12 oz Guinness

Saute the beef, pork, and onions in olive oil. Add the garlic to the ground beef toward the end of the sauteing. Add the tomato sauce. Stir this mixture to get all the beef from the bottom of the pan and then add in the beef broth and the beans. Add in the spices and only 1 t of chili powder at this time. Add in the tomato paste. Stir so that the paste incorporates into the mixture. Add the Guinness and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to low so that the mixture simmers. Cook for thirty minutes then taste for heat index. If you want it hotter add more chili powder in one teaspoon increments. Add chili powder stir then taste after five minutes. Let the mixture simmer for 30 more minutes then taste and add more chili powder and salt if they seem out of balance to you.

Simmer for 30 more minutes then serve with lime wedges and cumin sour cream.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:01:42 EST »

My mental health depends on the press conference on Friday. Please promise to visit me in the looney bin. 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 02:44:12 EST »

Don't you know that imitation adaptation is the sincerest form of flattery....and while putting beer in chili is not a NEW innovation it is not a bad thing......

But as for one NOT to stand on his laurels I will be coming out with a new Chili Recipe that I have titled......

TRIPLE DELIGHT CHILI

You dont want to miss this one......

Emeril

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: