VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 04:30:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember Michael Dyer?  (Read 13707 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:21:11 EST »

Kicked out of Auburn, then booted from Ark state, has been going to juco this last year at ark baptist college (not playing football)

He has 2 years left to play, and would be immediately eligible wherever he goes.

Rumor is that he is interested in Tennessee.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:23:01 EST »

Come on down,Mr Dyer,Tennessee has a spot in the backfield for You!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:25:10 EST »

If he came to UT, he would start immediately, play a year, and declare for the NFL. Would be a smart move.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:50 EST »

If he came to UT, he would start immediately, play a year, and declare for the NFL. Would be a smart move.

Yep,good stopgap move

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 02:39:23 EST »

Why was he kicked out of two schools?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:53:50 EST »

Why was he kicked out of two schools?

basically weed. He also had a gun on him in his car, but I think that was dropped because he had it legally.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 03:00:04 EST »

basically weed. He also had a gun on him in his car, but I think that was dropped because he had it legally.

Ah, reminds me of the days when our football and basketball programs' biggest setbacks were weed and guns in cars . . .

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:04:50 EST »

I would extend my 10 foot pole to a 20 foot pole!  Make damn sure I couldn't touch him!
10EC
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 03:05:26 EST »

Ah, reminds me of the days when our football and basketball programs' biggest setbacks were weed and guns in cars . . .

And mooning.... don't forget the mooning.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 03:08:57 EST »

It all depends on if he has learned anything. If he has then fine but if not it could end up being a wasted scholarship.

This is what Butch and the AD get paid to handle so lets see what happens.
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 03:32:46 EST »

Do not want.
101stDad
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 03:55:42 EST »

Why take that risk for a likely one year player?  Use that scholarship on a player that is going to be in the program for a while and actually be in school to work towards a degree. 

Not just no, but hell no. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 03:57:45 EST »

If he's just going to be a one year rental anyway, I'd rather just stick with what we have.  Neal looked pretty good to me before he got hurt last year- with another year to develop and another year under Graham, I think he can be a difference maker next season.  And anyway, Dyer would just bring more bad publicity to a program that can ill-afford it.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 03:57:58 EST »

Why take that risk for a likely one year player?  Use that scholarship on a player that is going to be in the program for a while and actually be in school to work towards a degree. 

Not just no, but hell no. 

While I agree with you in principle (and while the circumstances surrounding his recruitment are quite suspect), there is a counterargument and his name is Cam Newton.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

101stDad
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 04:01:26 EST »

And I understand that argument, but Auburn had some components in place to take advantage of Cam Newton's ability. 

UT isn't in the same boat right now, and Michael Dyer is no Cam Newton. 

The risk/reward factor is just not there in taking a player with his rap sheet. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 04:09:46 EST »

And I understand that argument, but Auburn had some components in place to take advantage of Cam Newton's ability. 

UT isn't in the same boat right now, and Michael Dyer is no Cam Newton. 

The risk/reward factor is just not there in taking a player with his rap sheet. 

I agree with all of that . . . just saying there is a place for taking that chance. If Dyer were a DB or LB with all-SEC ability I'd be more inclined to take the chance.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 04:17:05 EST »

I'd take him for a year if we can't land a 5 star RB like a Green. That's all he will stay no matter where he goes. Not much of a risk IMO. Dyer has NFL talent

Creek Walker
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 04:29:26 EST »

Personally, I don't care how much talent he has. If he had been kicked out of one school, I would be willing to give the guy a second chance. He's a serial offender at this point. Kids like that usually aren't anything but a team distraction, and Lord knows we don't need any distractions to take away from field performance. Besides, the one thing we DON'T need to do is start reversing the one good thing Dooley did here, which is start reconstructing the program's reputation of lawlessness.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 04:32:55 EST »

Personally, I don't care how much talent he has. If he had been kicked out of one school, I would be willing to give the guy a second chance. He's a serial offender at this point. Kids like that usually aren't anything but a team distraction, and Lord knows we don't need any distractions to take away from field performance. Besides, the one thing we DON'T need to do is start reversing the one good thing Dooley did here, which is start reconstructing the program's reputation of lawlessness.

we're not in a position to be that picky..IMO. We lack talent, and we could use him.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 04:37:06 EST »

we're not in a position to be that picky..IMO. We lack talent, and we could use him.

Tennessee needs to talk to Brookwood running back Nick Tompkins. It would be nice if a Tennessee assistant could talk Him out of His verbal commitment to Michigan State

Creek Walker
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 04:47:56 EST »

When are you ever in a position to not be that picky? Picking up repeat offenders with a win-at-any-cost mentality is what schools like Arkansas State and Western Kentucky do when they're desperate to break into the big boys' ranks. Now we're willing to take players that schools like that are rejecting?

No thanks. If we can't win the right way I would rather not win at all.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 04:57:57 EST »

When are you ever in a position to not be that picky? Picking up repeat offenders with a win-at-any-cost mentality is what schools like Arkansas State and Western Kentucky do when they're desperate to break into the big boys' ranks. Now we're willing to take players that schools like that are rejecting?

No thanks. If we can't win the right way I would rather not win at all.

There's little to no risk in this situation. If he has cleaned up his act he comes to UT, plays a year behind a veteran OL and goes to the NFL. Good move for him and it works out for UT. Gives UT a possible extra win or 2 and helps us build. If he comes to UT and gets throw out for weed (really that's why he got booted, the gun was his and legally owned), then UT doesn't lose much, kids get thrown out for that every year at every school.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 04:58:03 EST »

We're not that desperate at RB though. The last three classes have seen us sign at least one RB with offers from high-level programs (Neal, Lane, Hill). The combo of Lane and Neal had a pretty Dyer-esque season for UT this year: 1,366 yards, 10 TDs, 4.95 YPC; 377 receiving yards, 4 rec TDs. Actually those receiving numbers are far better than Dyer's; he only caught three passes in two years for Auburn.

While it would be nice to have a guy with Dyer's talent I'm not sure the marginal gain is worth it in this case.

Quote from: Volznut
Gives UT a possible extra win or 2

I don't think Dyer makes this much difference.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:59:36 EST by Clockwork Orange » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 05:13:05 EST »

I wouldn't mind if he came to UT.  I believe in extra chances, and the fact that he will only be around one year helps mitigate the risk.  But it's not that big a deal either way.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 05:19:28 EST »

We're not that desperate at RB though. The last three classes have seen us sign at least one RB with offers from high-level programs (Neal, Lane, Hill). The combo of Lane and Neal had a pretty Dyer-esque season for UT this year: 1,366 yards, 10 TDs, 4.95 YPC; 377 receiving yards, 4 rec TDs. Actually those receiving numbers are far better than Dyer's; he only caught three passes in two years for Auburn.

While it would be nice to have a guy with Dyer's talent I'm not sure the marginal gain is worth it in this case.

I don't think Dyer makes this much difference.

Disagree CO. Dyer is an elite back with NFL talent. Neal/Lane are decent backs but they haven't shown to be difference makers. We need a difference maker at RB, a guy defenses would have to key on. Neal's rushing numbers were ok, he doesn't break many tackles.  Hill has done nothing yet. I do think Dyer makes a difference...but I'd only take him if we miss on an elite back.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: