VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:06:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile, back to the climate...  (Read 24501 times)
VOLveeta
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 04:07:27 EDT »

I've lowered my carbon footprint significantly over the last five years and to be honest, all it has done is save me a hefty amount of $$$.  Seriously mucho dinero.  I turn to experts for suggestion.  On this board I turn to Pirate for his University of Tennessee football analysis because he's learned and amazingly knowledgeable about this sport.  And when it comes to this thing called climate change, I turn to the scientists... it's what they do.  I'll never understand the almost "militant" refusal to give scientists the respect when it comes to real knowledge of the subject.  To suggest they are politically or financially motivated seems beyond far fetched. 

If I can make changes in my life to preserve this great planet, maybe even leave it a little better than how I left it, why is this such a friggin' affront?  I look at my kid and future generations and I accept 100% the responsibility to leave it the way I found it for them.  I don't know any better way to behave and it's irresponsible of me to put my faith in a political movement to motivate my stance on the environment just as it is irresponsible for me to look to a political party to lead me on "moral" issues.

I find the insistence to keep doing what we are doing until someone "proves" it's bad to be disingenuous, irresponsible and frankly unethical.  How much more proof do we need?  And honestly?  How long do we wait for an improvable proof before we act like responsible, caring Americans, humans and parents? 

If I go to my grave knowing I left my future generations with a clean place to live, that trumps winning a "debate" every single second.  This argument seems idiotic to me.  Scientists know more than all of us.  To pretend like any of us know better is... farce.
Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 03:08:33 EDT »

I've lowered my carbon footprint significantly over the last five years and to be honest, all it has done is save me a hefty amount of $$$.  Seriously mucho dinero.  I turn to experts for suggestion.  On this board I turn to Pirate for his University of Tennessee football analysis because he's learned and amazingly knowledgeable about this sport.  And when it comes to this thing called climate change, I turn to the scientists... it's what they do.  I'll never understand the almost "militant" refusal to give scientists the respect when it comes to real knowledge of the subject.  To suggest they are politically or financially motivated seems beyond far fetched.  

If I can make changes in my life to preserve this great planet, maybe even leave it a little better than how I left it, why is this such a friggin' affront?  I look at my kid and future generations and I accept 100% the responsibility to leave it the way I found it for them.  I don't know any better way to behave and it's irresponsible of me to put my faith in a political movement to motivate my stance on the environment just as it is irresponsible for me to look to a political party to lead me on "moral" issues.

I find the insistence to keep doing what we are doing until someone "proves" it's bad to be disingenuous, irresponsible and frankly unethical.  How much more proof do we need?  And honestly?  How long do we wait for an improvable proof before we act like responsible, caring Americans, humans and parents?  

If I go to my grave knowing I left my future generations with a clean place to live, that trumps winning a "debate" every single second.  This argument seems idiotic to me.  Scientists know more than all of us.  To pretend like any of us know better is... farce.

Where to begin... No one that I know of is suggesting that we keep doing what we're doing, and I've given credit to the US for making strides in the environmental area.  I also agree that following one's conscience on any matter is the best thing to do, and I’m glad that’s what you’re doing.  However, putting your faith in scientists that have been proven wrong so many times (not just in their predictions of what global warming will cause, but in many others areas of science) seems misguided at best.  In addition, to suggest that these scientists don't have a financial and control agenda is extremely naïve (hundreds of millions of dollars in grants have come, and continue to come, out of this issue alone).  On the control side, I think those that want to shut down the debate on the issue are the militant ones.  There are those (one was a former vice president) that want to punish those that speak out against what their scientists are saying.  Forcing people to accept a theory seems a bit militant to me.   I also think that you are putting your faith in a political movement, it's just one that doesn't begin with a "D" or "R".  I don't know of anyone that allows their political party to lead them on moral issues (I think the opposite is more true).  And to suggest that those that don't take action based on something that may not be happening as, "disingenuous, irresponsible and frankly unethical" is absurd.  I guess you love your children more than I love mine, congrats on that.  This just saddens me, "Scientists know more than all of us.  To pretend like any of us know better is... farce.", just wow.  This post is why I said that those on the gw side have what I consider to be closed minds on the issue, and they shout others down but saying the science is settled (no matter any evidence to the contrary).  (Sorry if my punctuation sucks, I was not an English major  ).

We’ll have agree to disagree on this issue, and still be brothers-in-arms as hating bama   (that's for them not you  ) .
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:03:37 EDT by Be-the-Vol » Logged
VOLveeta
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 08:05:06 EDT »

"We’ll have agree to disagree on this issue"...

I'm pretty used to that.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: