VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 06:38:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm glad we play Oregon, Bama, and UF on the road this year  (Read 4025 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2013, 08:24:45 EDT »

Why? Because those are the three games that I don't feel we have any shot to win, home or road, so they might as well be on the road.

In fact, we have games vs UGA, USCe, Auburn, and Vandy at home this year, which is good because I feel we can beat these 4 at home. It will be difficult to do so, especially UGA and USCe, but we have come close to doing it with less talent with Dooley at the helm.

I am calling it, UGA will be Butch Jones first BIG win as the coach of the Vols.

Yes I tend to look at things optimistically.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:55:14 EDT »

last year our offense single-handedly kept us competitive in most games...we will have a very mediocre offense at best I fear. I think the D should be improved but not enough to make up for a new QB, new WRs, good OL but decent at best RBs. Without balance on offense I fear defenses will load up on the run and our young QBs will be exposed. I hope I'm wrong and a QB turns out to be great along with a couple of WRs but it will be a surprise if they do based on the spring game.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:00:38 EDT »

I think we have a shot at UF.  Not a great shot, but a puncher's chance.  And that's saying more about them than us.  I don't think they were anywhere NEAR as good as their record indicated last year.  They had to win a lot of games with smoke and mirrors.  Heck, they needed a miracle blocked punt in the last minute to beat a directional Louisiana school.  You win a lot of coin flips in one season, the law of averages usually catches up with you the next.  

All that said, they're playing at home, they'll be big favorites, and they should beat us by 2 TDs or more.  But I don't put that one in the "hopeless" category like I do bammer.

As for swoosh U, they have a talent advantage at nearly every position. The only thing that gives me hope in that one is their new coach.  I don't know anything about him, except that he's not Chip Kelley.  Maybe he'll be the next Derek Dooley.  We can hope.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:01:08 EDT »

I think our offense will be different. We have a very veteran OL and we will run the ball more, and I see more short passing and misdirection in the spread. It could be an effective offense. Need for a QB to step up and need to find a couple of playmakers at WR

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 05:03:15 EDT »

I feel pretty good about our home schedule too.  We've played these teams tough at home recently.
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 05:48:20 EDT »

I am calling it, UGA will be Butch Jones first BIG win as the coach of the Vols.

Admittedly, I am a big UGA fan.  That said, I really believe UGA beats UT by 3 TDs this year.  I believe UT's offense and defense will both struggle a lot in SEC games.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 05:59:26 EDT »

Admittedly, I am a big UGA fan.  That said, I really believe UGA beats UT by 3 TDs this year.  I believe UT's offense and defense will both struggle a lot in SEC games.

That would be the safe bet. However how many times has either one of us did that? I will reserve my prediction until I see what this staff can do. Either you guys or the cocks are best shot if for no other reason than the history of the series.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 04:27:48 EDT »

It will be difficult to do so, especially UGA and USCe, but we have come close to doing it with less talent with Dooley at the helm.

I tend to forget that we came close vs those two, even though I was one of the one's that kept pointing it out last year.  I don't share your optimism, but I think for the record that UCSe is probably more likely than UGA, FWIW.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 05:21:31 EDT »

defense will be much better than you think. Don't judge it based on last year when they had no clue what they were doing in a new scheme

Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 05:28:54 EDT »

I think beating UGA is a long shot, but I'll be shocked if UGA comes to Neyland and wins by 20+ points. Wins will be a struggle this year, but this team will be competitive. I truly believe that.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 07:39:41 EDT »

If our O-line and running backs are our strength,then use it..like Fulmer used to say in '98,"pound the rock"..unless we are being blown out..let them stack the line and put 8-9 guys in the box..then bust them on a play action play...but pound the rock,shorten the game and play to the strengths of what this team has to offer this year and see what happens..my hope is that returning to a 4-3 defense will be what the doctor ordered and with a few breaks that we never got under Dooley I see UT having a slight chance in any game this year except Bama
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 07:59:49 EDT »

Butch has managed to use mobile QB play and a short passing game in the past....hopefully that plays well with an inexperienced QB.   I'm looking forward to seeing what happens either way.   

Better than the sense of dread I had most of last year.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: