VTTW Board Index
April 16, 2024, 01:03:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Adams swings and nails Fulmer squarely on the jaw  (Read 42069 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 04:22:56 EDT »

Yeah, like that's unusual for any message board on the planet.   

Well, of course it's not. I just wish people would recognize when they're being trolled and goaded into an unnecessary argument instead of getting all red about it. There are far more interesting things to be talking about WRT UT football right now but by far the most active and engaged threads on here have been about uniforms and former coaches. I just think it's silly.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 04:23:56 EDT »

A senseless discussion that has no resolution and no ground gained by either side, ever. And people get worked up about it, every single time. I just don't get it. People need to stop looking for apologies or concessions from Fulmer. It's not happening.

I don't think anyone is looking for anything from Fulmer. Majors went well over a decade hating Tennessee for its decision to fire him. That's just part of it. But when a coach goes to a meeting of SEC minds with media present and starts bashing his university's leadership decisions, that's newsworthy. It just is. As I told ChattanoogaVol above, those who get overly worked up about the situation probably need to avoid the subject altogether. For the rest of us adults, there's no reason we can't discuss it and debate it to tide us over until football season gets here.

Nobody respects Fulmer any more than I do for all the good times he brought to the university and the football program. I don't blame him for being a little bitter, but I'm also not going to blame Adams -- who is one of the best sports columnists in the business and is well-respected by his peers for a reason -- for responding. Adams' job, the job by any columnist, is to make people want to pick up a newspaper (or visit the website), and he does that quite well. If the only thing the KNS carried was an analysis of the latest practice, they would only hurt themselves. In any market, but especially in this market, fans will consume any information they can get their hands on in copious amounts, even those who read the columns just so they can get a good mad on and gripe about the writer. That's just how it is. Fulmer doesn't get to be a taboo topic just because it's been 5 years or because it's close to football season.
Creek Walker
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 04:26:50 EDT »

Well, of course it's not. I just wish people would recognize when they're being trolled and goaded into an unnecessary argument instead of getting all red about it. There are far more interesting things to be talking about WRT UT football right now but by far the most active and engaged threads on here have been about uniforms and former coaches. I just think it's silly.

You've done your fair share of responding.  If it's so silly, just ignore it. Seems pretty simple to me. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 04:29:26 EDT »

I'm not the least bit mad at Adams. I actually don't mind the guy at all. He just does what he does and is an amazingly effective troll. The fanbase is to blame for letting him bother them and get things stirred up.

Fulmer's not taboo. But do we not get tired of the same discussions over and over?

I'll bow out of this and you guys can continue.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 04:32:08 EDT »

Fulmer's not taboo. But do we not get tired of the same discussions over and over?

Well, I like to talk (not to mention, argue), so...no.  If there was some other hot-button topic being discussed, I'd gladly abandon this one to jump to it. Maybe we can talk about tearing down the pedestrian bridge over PFW to make way for new construction. That still gripes my butt. (Speaking of which, is that the slowest construction project in history or what? Such an eyesore right outside the stadium.)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 04:46:37 EDT »

The whole "this fanbase is the worst at this" and "I'm so embarrassed by the way we are acting" really rubs me the wrong way.  There's no way we're any different from many, many other fanbases of a big time program. Those who look down their noses at all the redneck simpletons are in every fan base too.  Every program has drama and certain hot topics.  And every fan has their own set of interest, preferences, and personality.  Doesn't make one any better than another.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 05:16:16 EDT »

Well, I like to talk (not to mention, argue), so...no.  If there was some other hot-button topic being discussed, I'd gladly abandon this one to jump to it. Maybe we can talk about tearing down the pedestrian bridge over PFW to make way for new construction. That still gripes my butt. (Speaking of which, is that the slowest construction project in history or what? Such an eyesore right outside the stadium.)
at least they are not going to replace the parking lot with a garage now
At least some sanity is still present in the administration

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 08:32:41 EDT »

IMO..Sanders should have never been named OC to begin with..He was a former UT qb that was moved up from running backs coach to OC after Coach Cut left for Ole Miss.
Fulmer filled that spot by staying within the "family" with a young unproven former Vol qb and it back fired on him and he was too stubborn to make the change till his own job was put on the line in 2005.
Sanders was no "scapegoat" the offense sucked with him as OC.The defense was good enough to keep them in games that he found a way to lose on several occasions.Even Coach Cut said in 2006 that the first thing he noticed about Eric Ainge was his mechanics were all wrong and we all saw what a change Ainge and the offense made in 2006 when Cut came back and sanders was gone.
He always put the games on the shoulders of the qb's and coached like it was a chess match instead obvious running situations even when the other teams defenses were gassed.
I remember the year after winning the NC and playing Nebraska in the bowl game..UT had the ball at mid field 3rd and very short,whats Sanders call? Tee Martin in the shotgun runs a qb draw and gets stopped way short..To get a half yard,he makes his qb run a draw 5 yrs deep in the back field.
We punt,Nebraska gets the ball same situation,they run the obvious qb sneak under center and they get the 1st down and go on to score and end up winning the game.

Here Here!!  I agree that Sanders should have never been named the OC and I think he was the primary reason for our offensive decline.  Fulmer had too much pride in hiring "his" guys and Sanders was not qualified to do the job.  Fulmer had too much pride to admit that  his boy wasn't getting it done and here we are. 

Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 08:39:47 EDT »

A senseless discussion that has no resolution and no ground gained by either side, ever. And people get worked up about it, every single time. I just don't get it. People need to stop looking for apologies or concessions from Fulmer. It's not happening.
And since this is a "discussion" board, I think it is perfectly appropriate to discuss things related to the Big Orange.  I choose to ignore threads that I have no interest it, and I participate in those that stir my passions.  I have finally learned to live and let live.  Please don't take this harshly but please ignore us while we discuss the issue.  Thanks buddy.   

Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 08:40:45 EDT »

Its been years since I got to bash Randy Sanders....brings back old memories

101stDad
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 09:43:19 EDT »

I'm not pointing the finger at Adams. He's looking for web hits and paper sales. Did he write an article on a complete non-story? Sure he did, but he knew it would stir the shizzle and it has. I can't fault him for doing what he does. That's his job.

It's not a news story. There is not a THING that is new about this. Why is anyone at all surprised that Fulmer-- for the 1,000th time-- doesn't want to take the blame for the program's dip late in his tenure? He never has and I'm sure he never will. I'll repeat that I don't think Majors did either. Who cares?

John Adams is an old-school troll, and the UT fanbase has been his target for many years. We all just need to let the Fulmer story go away, whether he continues to answer questions about it or not. It's been over for a long, long time.

SMH at this fanbase. First the uniforms and now another Fulmer debate. It's embarrassing.

So, a fired football coach goes in to a rival state and tells the media that he was fired because of others incompetence and says nothing about his part in the demise of the program and that's not a news story? 

Uh, ok.   
101stDad
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 09:46:56 EDT »

And as long as Fulmer himself makes the decision to talk about it publicly the media will react, and it should.  If you choose to believe that is "trolling", then so be it, but at least admit that it is Fulmer trolling, too.  He knows it is going to bring about reaction from the media and is going to continue to divide the UT fan base. 

Rather than trolling I call that narcissism on his part. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 02:23:32 EDT »

And as long as Fulmer himself makes the decision to talk about it publicly the media will react, and it should.  If you choose to believe that is "trolling", then so be it, but at least admit that it is Fulmer trolling, too.  He knows it is going to bring about reaction from the media and is going to continue to divide the UT fan base. 

Rather than trolling I call that narcissism on his part. 

100% correct!!!! Fulmer started it...if he hadn't started it Adams wouldn't have written his article, we wouldn't be having these discussions.

The sorry POS brought all this on instead of taking the high-road, keeping his mouth shut for the betterment of the program. He is ONE SORRY POS!!!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 02:25:20 EDT »

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 04:03:27 EDT »

100% correct!!!! Fulmer started it...if he hadn't started it Adams wouldn't have written his article, we wouldn't be having these discussions.
Wow
The sorry POS brought all this on instead of taking the high-road, keeping his mouth shut for the betterment of the program. He is ONE SORRY POS!!!
Sorry pos?  Lol, wow.  
Creek Walker
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 04:07:57 EDT »

Sorry pos?  Lol, wow.  

My thoughts exactly.

I may disagree with Fulmer, but he gave way too much of himself to the university...he deserves a little more respect than that.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 04:28:26 EDT »

Exactly why I said, it's in the past, can't change it now, does not matter at all anymore...LOOK TO 2013 

Go Big Orange.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 04:37:08 EDT »

Not when he spouts off and won't take the high road 5 years later and 6 million richer. You can feel about him how you may.

I've been a fan for 60 years and I have a right to my opinion....and I gave mine. I respected him at one time but not since he points the blame everywhere but himself. He gets ZERO respect from me and many feel the same as I do.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 03:29:38 EDT »

Phil doesn't really bother me regardless of what he says or doesn't say. I appreciate what he did, but he isn't the coach now and his opinions about anything matter very little to me.

Like most people who are a success in his profession he has a huge ego. It helped make him a success but the flip side of that is not being able to see fault in oneself. That is a flaw many of us have, including me. We all like to be right, all of the time.

I just hope Butch can do the job, and that is the extent of my concern about UT coaches. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 05:33:40 EDT »

Here Here!!  I agree that Sanders should have never been named the OC and I think he was the primary reason for our offensive decline.  Fulmer had too much pride in hiring "his" guys and Sanders was not qualified to do the job.  Fulmer had too much pride to admit that  his boy wasn't getting it done and here we are. 

Agree.

On the overall issue, I completely agree that Fulmer was never self-critical.  I even met him in person once at a Big Orange Caravan, and I wished him luck against Florida.  He mistook my remark as criticism and got defensive!  LOL, it was odd.

But he does have a good point...overall there was no leadership above him either, and I am still not sure about our Prez.  I do like Hart a lot better than Hammy though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 05:37:25 EDT »

John Adams is an old-school troll, and the UT fanbase has been his target for many years. We all just need to let the Fulmer story go away, whether he continues to answer questions about it or not. It's been over for a long, long time.

So what does a troll do?  Find a hot button issue for an individual and or individuals, and push those buttons!

Hmm, I seem to recall a certain discussion you started with me not long ago related to driving that turned into a complete cluster fizzle.  Congrats, you got me!  But I did realize about halfway through that you and a few others were trolling me.  Hope you enjoyed it. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 06:07:39 EDT »

So what does a troll do?  Find a hot button issue for an individual and or individuals, and push those buttons!

Hmm, I seem to recall a certain discussion you started with me not long ago related to driving that turned into a complete cluster fizzle.  Congrats, you got me!  But I did realize about halfway through that you and a few others were trolling me.  Hope you enjoyed it. 

If it led to any improvements in your highway etiquette I'll call it a win.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 11:30:31 EDT »

I finally read the original al.com article.

I think I might call BS on Adams entire premise due to this quote:

Since he left, the Vols have a 9-23 conference record and a 23-27 overall mark under Lane Kiffin (2009) and Derek Dooley (2010-12).But don't put all the blame for Tennessee's slide on his successors, Fulmer said.

So the context of the question was why his SUCCESSORS didn't do as well AFTER HE LEFT, and Fulmer was to some extent defending THEM!!!  Not himself.

If the question had been how did Tennessee get to the point it was when Kiffin took over, then yes Fulmer should shoulder his fair share of the blame.

LMAO!!!  This pretty much discredits Adams to me.

But let me be clear...at no point in his entire career, or since, has Fulmer ever been good at taking responsibility for mistakes or being self-critical.  Never has, never will.  

But in this case it seems the alabammer reporter was trying to lure him into a comment on Kiffin and Dooley and he pointed them elsewhere.  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:33:48 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

101stDad
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 02:52:44 EDT »

I finally read the original al.com article.

I think I might call BS on Adams entire premise due to this quote:

Since he left, the Vols have a 9-23 conference record and a 23-27 overall mark under Lane Kiffin (2009) and Derek Dooley (2010-12).But don't put all the blame for Tennessee's slide on his successors, Fulmer said.

So the context of the question was why his SUCCESSORS didn't do as well AFTER HE LEFT, and Fulmer was to some extent defending THEM!!!  Not himself.

If the question had been how did Tennessee get to the point it was when Kiffin took over, then yes Fulmer should shoulder his fair share of the blame.

LMAO!!!  This pretty much discredits Adams to me.

But let me be clear...at no point in his entire career, or since, has Fulmer ever been good at taking responsibility for mistakes or being self-critical.  Never has, never will.  

But in this case it seems the alabammer reporter was trying to lure him into a comment on Kiffin and Dooley and he pointed them elsewhere.  

Fulmer isn't taking blame there.  He's blaming administration again. 

Don't think that discredits Adams at all. 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 03:19:52 EDT »

Fulmer isn't taking blame there.  He's blaming administration again. 

Don't think that discredits Adams at all. 

THREE WORDS

LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: