VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 08:18:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Adams swings and nails Fulmer squarely on the jaw  (Read 42188 times)
101stDad
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 03:24:34 EDT »

THREE WORDS

LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you need to tell that to our former head football coach.  He's the one who continues to bring it back up over and over and over ..........

And as long as he does people will react. 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 08:25:23 EDT »

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2013/aug/21/fulmer-takes-responsibility-likes-jones/
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:06 EDT »

There you have it!  Now he's not a sorry POS anymore!   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 09:53:08 EDT »

Not so fast.  Did he prostrate himself before Butch Jones and the team and beg their forgiveness?  Did he pay back every penny that he earned in 17 years at UT?  Did he go door to door to every current UT student and alumni to personally apologize?  I don't think so.

RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 02:52:11 EDT »

Phil Fulmer done way more for UT than John Adams ever did. John Adams is a hack reporting LSU Fan. I followed UT Football for nearly 40 years. I remember UT getting their butt kicked my Bama every year. I remember dreaming and wishing UT could beat teams like Bama,Ohio State,Michigan and win a National Title.  Phil Fulmer led UT to a National Title in 1998. That was by far my favorite sporting event ever.

I will admit that I thought Fulmer needed to go. I thought he lost his edge. He lost his fire. But! I always liked him and wanted him to go out a winner.  It disgusts me how bad some UT fans hate Fulmer's guts. I do know this. I know 2 guys who played OL for Fulmer. Todd Upton and David Douglas. I worked with Todd years ago. He told me Fulmer could call him at 3:00 AM and ask him for a favor and he would help him out in a heartbeat. David Douglas thought very highly of Fulmer also.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 04:31:51 EDT »

Phil Fulmer done way more for UT than John Adams ever did. John Adams is a hack reporting LSU Fan. I followed UT Football for nearly 40 years. I remember UT getting their butt kicked my Bama every year. I remember dreaming and wishing UT could beat teams like Bama,Ohio State,Michigan and win a National Title.  Phil Fulmer led UT to a National Title in 1998. That was by far my favorite sporting event ever.

I will admit that I thought Fulmer needed to go. I thought he lost his edge. He lost his fire. But! I always liked him and wanted him to go out a winner.  It disgusts me how bad some UT fans hate Fulmer's guts. I do know this. I know 2 guys who played OL for Fulmer. Todd Upton and David Douglas. I worked with Todd years ago. He told me Fulmer could call him at 3:00 AM and ask him for a favor and he would help him out in a heartbeat. David Douglas thought very highly of Fulmer also.

Good post........AGREE 100%.
He made some mistakes and it cost UT, and him his job, but he helped to put us back on the map more than anyone in a long time...AND FOR THAT I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO CUT HIM SOME SLACK

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 09:25:27 EDT »

Fulmer isn't taking blame there.  He's blaming administration again. 

Don't think that discredits Adams at all. 

You missed my point I think.  The question was about the lack of success of his successors....it didn't involve what state the program was in when he left, but what happened afterwards.  And Fulmer is pointing out that four presidents in six years and Hamilton didn't help.

He could easily have taken a dig at Dooley.  Even the worst Fulmer critic would admit that Fulmer could have out-coached Dooley.  Heck, you or I probably could.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 09:25:59 EDT »

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2013, 02:38:07 EDT »

This thread is now in the Top 10 of all threads based on number of replies.

I don't know what that means, if anything. But facts are facts and stats are stats.

Congratulations to all who participated.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2013, 02:55:53 EDT »

Creek Walker
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2013, 03:21:26 EDT »

I feel accomplished. 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2013, 03:41:46 EDT »

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2013, 03:47:50 EDT »

Delenda est Adams 

My personal dealings with Adams has indicated he is a JACKASS of the first order (this is a family board) 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2013, 03:53:18 EDT »

This thread is now in the Top 10 of all threads based on number of replies.

I don't know what that means, if anything. But facts are facts and stats are stats.

Was there ever any doubt?  I'm just surprised it took this long. 

FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2013, 05:58:57 EDT »

THIS.  KNS is a complete joke and Adams is the head clown.  The fact that UTs hometown paper would put up with this semi-literate troll is pathetic.  Have you seen his latest hack job devoted entirely to trashing our assistant coaches?   Can only shake my head.... and go back to reading the Chatt paper...
Creek Walker
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2013, 06:54:22 EDT »

THIS.  KNS is a complete joke and Adams is the head clown.  The fact that UTs hometown paper would put up with this semi-literate troll is pathetic.  Have you seen his latest hack job devoted entirely to trashing our assistant coaches?   Can only shake my head.... and go back to reading the Chatt paper...

Love him or hate him, John Adams could leave the KNS and get a job at most newspapers in America. He is very good at what he does. (And, not to belabor the point, but he's far from semi-literate; he's actually a very gifted writer...which is why he has won numerous awards for sportswriting.)

Personally, Adams gets under my skin more often than not. But that's what a good columnist does. The Chatty TFP and the Maryville DT will always play second fiddle to the KNS in the Tennessee sports market. Part of it is location, obviously, and part of it is a variety of other factors. But a not-insignificant part of it is because they have columnists who are willing to go against the grain. I'd rather see that in a newspaper than see a sports staff full of cheerleaders (which is essentially what the TFP is made up of).
Creek Walker
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2013, 07:02:34 EDT »

Btw: I have to admit that I hadn't read Adams' latest column until I saw your post. I didn't see it as "trashing" the UT staff at all. I thought it was a realistic look at the makeup of the staff. They DO have something to prove. There was much discussion back in the winter about how Butch promised to assemble the best coaching staff in the SEC and then went out and hired a bunch of guys most average fans had never heard of. Personally, I'm fine with that, because I want him to be surrounded by people he trusts and is familiar with. But I don't think there's any doubt that the jury is still out on this staff...and that's why several of the football blogs that rank everything from best-looking cheerleaders to best mascots have ranked UT's coaching staff towards the bottom of the SEC.
101stDad
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2013, 08:04:44 EDT »

Some of y'all are missing the point.  This isn't a "Phil Fulmer vs. John Adams" thing at all.  Fulmer said it to the Alabama media and Adams wrote an opinion column about it - a column that wasn't vindictive nor did it make up anything.  Fulmer said it, he's repeated it multiple times since he was fired, and Adams' job is to respond to what he reads, sees, and hears. 

Bottom line:  If Fulmer wouldn't come out with the same lines over and over and over again the John Adams' of the media wouldn't continue to call him on it. 

This is a classic case of shooting the messenger, that being John Adams, and ignoring Fulmer's version of the message. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2013, 03:21:51 EDT »

Some of y'all are missing the point.  This isn't a "Phil Fulmer vs. John Adams" thing at all.  Fulmer said it to the Alabama media and Adams wrote an opinion column about it - a column that wasn't vindictive nor did it make up anything.  Fulmer said it, he's repeated it multiple times since he was fired, and Adams' job is to respond to what he reads, sees, and hears. 

Bottom line:  If Fulmer wouldn't come out with the same lines over and over and over again the John Adams' of the media wouldn't continue to call him on it. 

This is a classic case of shooting the messenger, that being John Adams, and ignoring Fulmer's version of the message. 

^BOOM!!!.......again.

Been the same over on chit-chat...blaming Adams for something Fulmer has said over and over for 5 years now. Unreal!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2013, 04:22:26 EDT »

Question: If Fulmer were to come out tomorrow and accept full responsibility for everything from the state of our football program to Pat Summitt's health to world hunger, what changes?  Is it somehow going to make our team better?  Does it somehow improve your life?  Are you mad that he actually took a buyout?  Because you can pin that one directly on Hamilton's incompetence (which, ironically, proves Fulmer's point).  And don't tell me that you wouldn't have done the same in Fulmer's position.

Look, no one was more adamant that Phil had to go than I was.  You can go back and check the VTTW archives from 2008.  In fact, you can also check them from 2007, because I was saying it then, too- even after he won the East.  But once it was done, it was over for me.  No need to tap dance on the man's grave.  I'm looking forward.

IMO, we only have one former head coach that deserves to be called a POS.  I'll give you three guesses who it is, and the first two don't count.  I won't even refer to Dooley in such terms- incompetent fool, maybe, but not a POS.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:29:54 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2013, 08:46:31 EDT »

Are you mad that he actually took a buyout?  Because you can pin that one directly on Hamilton's incompetence (which, ironically, proves Fulmer's point).  And don't tell me that you wouldn't have done the same in Fulmer's position.

Exactly.  I think one of my biggest problems with the whole situation was that Hamilton gave Fulmer an extension in March 2008 and then fired him in November 2008.  At least stick by your man a bit better, or don't be stupid enough to give him such a nice contract extension to begin with!

In all of this, are the Fulmer bashers disputing the truth of what he said, whether it's considered an excuse or not?   That is, do any of you want to defend Hamilton and the fact that we had four presidents in six years, and perhaps argue that's not a huge part of the problem? 

Deflecting blame or not....he had a point.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2013, 01:38:13 EDT »

Question: If Fulmer were to come out tomorrow and accept full responsibility for everything from the state of our football program to Pat Summitt's health to world hunger, what changes?  Is it somehow going to make our team better?  Does it somehow improve your life?  Are you mad that he actually took a buyout?  Because you can pin that one directly on Hamilton's incompetence (which, ironically, proves Fulmer's point).  And don't tell me that you wouldn't have done the same in Fulmer's position.

Look, no one was more adamant that Phil had to go than I was.  You can go back and check the VTTW archives from 2008.  In fact, you can also check them from 2007, because I was saying it then, too- even after he won the East.  But once it was done, it was over for me.  No need to tap dance on the man's grave.  I'm looking forward.

IMO, we only have one former head coach that deserves to be called a POS.  I'll give you three guesses who it is, and the first two don't count.  I won't even refer to Dooley in such terms- incompetent fool, maybe, but not a POS.  

Yep, folks need to get over it.
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2013, 09:02:49 EDT »

I dont understand why some of you are so determined that nobody should discuss PF or say anything derogatory about him. Why are you so adamant that we "move on"? I dont get why some folks insist that the past cannot be discussed by those who choose to discuss it. Why not ignore that which you dont want to read? I dont mind disagreement but i really dont care for being told to shut up and move on. Uncool in my opinion...it is obvious that some folks still want to talk about it. Maybe when there is actually some football to talk about we will "move on". JMO.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2013, 09:54:07 EDT »

I dont understand why some of you are so determined that nobody should discuss PF or say anything derogatory about him. Why are you so adamant that we "move on"? I dont get why some folks insist that the past cannot be discussed by those who choose to discuss it. Why not ignore that which you dont want to read? I dont mind disagreement but i really dont care for being told to shut up and move on. Uncool in my opinion...it is obvious that some folks still want to talk about it. Maybe when there is actually some football to talk about we will "move on". JMO.

I tend to occasionally beat dead horses, and no moreso than in the case of Phil and the nature of his departure.  No matter what is said about whether he should have left, I think even his harshest critics would agree that how he left and what transpired afterwards was a disaster of the first order.  I also don't think anyone would seriously dispute that, however mediocre he was when he left, the last four years would have been better with Phil, perhaps substantially better.  I think it should continue to be discussed as a lesson for the future.  I like how Dooley's departure was handled much, much better and hope that Hart continues to display the same competence and professionalism should another change be necessary in 3-4 year (and pray God it won't be!).

Having said that, we kick off in about 8 days or so....and there is almost ZERO discussion of the upcoming season and a thread on some comments that Phil made is top ten.

I do think we could table this discussion and show some excitement for the upcoming season????? I haven't even seen a recent practice report or roster update, let alone a discussion of any upcoming games or the season.  Part of the problem might be that Austin Peay is  apretty unexciting opponent, but we do kick off in 8 days! 

Even though I have participated in this thread fully, I am hoping we might could focus on this season at some point.  So I am done with this thread (cue smartass response from Creekwalker.... ).

Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2013, 01:09:43 EDT »

Hard to get too fired up over Austin peay....but yer right...its almost FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: