VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 09:21:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vols vs Va Tech at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2016?  (Read 20493 times)
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 04:48:39 EDT »

Ummm, guys.... I don't think this was setup because Bristol is a convenient place for fans to watch football games.  Nobody is going to force you to go.  This is going to make national headlines.

I agree, this would be a big deal PR wise.  Do we really care about missing a home game vs Georgetown University or the like???  I doubt the PC police would allow it, but you could have a great Preakness style tail gate before the game and, hell, make it a rivalry game and give the winner the crystal mason jar.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 05:04:37 EDT »

Ummm, guys.... I don't think this was setup because Bristol is a convenient place for fans to watch football games.  Nobody is going to force you to go.  This is going to make national headlines.
so we are to give up a home game for a game in a piece of crap venue?

I will NOT go and it had better not be part of the season ticket package

Sure great national recognition and screw the Tennessee fans is not my idea of "building the brand"

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 05:58:12 EDT »

so we are to give up a home game for a game in a piece of crap venue?

I will NOT go and it had better not be part of the season ticket package

Sure great national recognition and screw the Tennessee fans is not my idea of "building the brand"

Has it been stated officially that it will cost us a home game?
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 05:59:23 EDT »

Maybe it's just me, but I have serious doubts that more people than would fit in Neyland Stadium are going to be willing to shell out big bucks for seats further away from the field than they normally park their cars at Neyland, go through the headache of spending 3 hours getting in and 3 more hours getting out of BMS, and putting up with the circus that will be a game in a venue that isn't built for holding a football game just so they can say that they were there.  

Call me negative, but I believe it will end up backfiring on both UT and VPI when all is said and done.  I just don't see that the potential positives outweigh the potential negatives.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 06:29:15 EDT »

Flea'd from Maryland Hokie on WHAB:

That was a 1961 game between the Redskins and the Eagles. Obviously the Speedway has changed considerably since then, including the paving of the entire infield.

Personally I don't get the griping. If UT improves as much between now and then as I think it will, the game will get national attention and there will be a big crowd. If you don't think the viewing experience will be good, then don't go. I won't go, but I don't go to many games no matter where they are. I like my TV and beer.

And as far as I can tell, BDV's source is the only one suggesting this is part of a neutral-and-home.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 06:34:56 EDT »

That was a 1961 game between the Redskins and the Eagles. Obviously the Speedway has changed considerably since then, including the paving of the entire infield.

Personally I don't get the griping. If UT improves as much between now and then as I think it will, the game will get national attention and there will be a big crowd. If you don't think the viewing experience will be good, then don't go. I won't go, but I don't go to many games no matter where they are. I like my TV and beer.

And as far as I can tell, BDV's source is the only one suggesting this is part of a neutral-and-home.

Agree totally.  I don't get the griping AT ALL.  This is going to be a big deal.  Many people will go just to say they were there, and like you said.. "if you don't like it, don't go".  And personally, I could see tickets being pretty reasonable, they're going to want it to be a sell out.

Saw this on another Vol board:

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 06:49:02 EDT »

LOL. Neyland inside Bristol. This gives a little perspective on both the capacity and the distance spectators will be from the field.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 06:51:01 EDT »

Not griping at all, CO.  Just offering my opinion as I see it.  Yes, UT will be better, but that doesn't mean that 55K more people than Neyland holds are going to go to a game just to say they were there, and again that is the way I see it.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 06:53:07 EDT »

Agree totally.  I don't get the griping AT ALL.  This is going to be a big deal.  Many people will go just to say they were there, and like you said.. "if you don't like it, don't go".  And personally, I could see tickets being pretty reasonable, they're going to want it to be a sell out.

Saw this on another Vol board:

yeah, that view looks like you could really see the action on the field! NOT!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 06:54:28 EDT »

Not griping at all, CO.  Just offering my opinion as I see it.  Yes, UT will be better, but that doesn't mean that 55K more people than Neyland holds are going to go to a game just to say they were there, and again that is the way I see it.  

I wasn't singling you out, and there are plenty of question marks about whether it works as a football venue in any form or fashion (see the photo I just posted!). I just think we have an AD and a football coach that would think long and hard about this before committing, and if they think there's not value in it for UT then they wouldn't do it.

As much as anything I think it'll be interesting and unique from a game prep standpoint. They will have to build an underlayment for the field. They'll have to do something for locker rooms. Will they try to use temporary seating closer to the field? If they pull it off it will have been one of the most interesting regular season game situations in NCAA football history.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 07:46:42 EDT »

We already have Nebraska (away) and UConn (home) scheduled for that season.  I hope those don't get bought out.  But I'll bet at least one of them gets moved to another year.

bet we drop nebraska
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 09:31:26 EDT »

The WLOMP - The World's Largest Outdoor Moonshine Party.  They could set up some pretty kick arse standing room party zones in the infield.  The sight lines seem to be about 2x what you would get at Neyland.  I really don't see that as a big deal, but I have pretty good LASIK-enhanced vision!

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 09:45:07 EDT »

The WLOMP - The World's Largest Outdoor Moonshine Party.  They could set up some pretty kick arse standing room party zones in the infield.  The sight lines seem to be about 2x what you would get at Neyland.  I really don't see that as a big deal, but I have pretty good LASIK-enhanced vision!

Maybe you are on to something.

They can bring Tim and Tickle, those two idiots from South Carolina who nearly blew themselves up while trying to build that under ground (stage) still, and Mark, Jeff, and Jim Tom in to do a "shine off".  That will bring them in. 

And this can be the promo song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDjCOho_sKw

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 05:12:23 EDT »

Not surprisingly, Tennessee will move its home-and-home with Nebraska. 2026-2027, per Jimmy Hyams.

One of several things that irks me about this Bristol Bowl is that on Monday of an important SEC game week, our coach is two hours away from Knoxville for a press conference about a game that will be played three years from now, taking time away from preparation for South Carolina. That isn't a knock on Butch Jones, but rather UTAD administration.
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 07:04:28 EDT »

Exactly.
Creek Walker
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 08:15:05 EDT »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oOvl-90GPU
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 10:00:16 EDT »

Not surprisingly, Tennessee will move its home-and-home with Nebraska. 2026-2027, per Jimmy Hyams.

One of several things that irks me about this Bristol Bowl is that on Monday of an important SEC game week, our coach is two hours away from Knoxville for a press conference about a game that will be played three years from now, taking time away from preparation for South Carolina. That isn't a knock on Butch Jones, but rather UTAD administration.

I would probably have felt the same way if last week hadn't been an open date week.  A current UT player that I talked with on Friday night told me that South Carolina game planning started last Monday, so I will give Butch a pass on this one. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: