VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 10:27:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sour grapes...  (Read 9589 times)
VOLveeta
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:16:11 EDT »

I'm sure this makes me look like a total loser, but I'm so sick of how college football is basically four or five teams and then everyone else.  Alabama is now just like this behemoth robot corp of domination and there just is nothing possible to enjoy about their continual ride.  It makes college football dull to me.  Like I said, I know this is sour grapes but I'm so sick of it.  I wish there was more parity.  I still love my Vols but overall, but college football is not as interesting to me as it used to be and it's because there is not a level playing field.  I don't know that there ever was, but it's worse now.  Saban gets the pick of everything and the rest of the nation just sits back and waits.  Yawn.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 11:21:59 EDT »

The problem is how the ncaa is not even close to uniform in its enforcement. When they want to they can drop the hammer, when they dont want to, they will look for reasons not to. It reeks of government type bureaucracy. 
VOLveeta
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:26:07 EDT »

Well, I begrudge Bama nothing... they are a supremely disciplined team and Saban is truly a master... they deserve all of this.  But if I'm honest, the game is less interesting when you almost don't even wonder who will be at the top at the end of the season.  It's become a given who will be there and it has definitely effected how much I watch the game anymore.  At one time, I was glued to the TV from morning to night on a given football Saturday.  I don't do that anymore.  There is not a lot of suspense in the game anymore.  That's not Bama's problem, that's their blessing and bully for them.  Me?  I'm not as interested in the sport because of this imbalance.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:33:16 EDT »

We can still hope lsu or Auburn gets them and knocks them out. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:12:36 EDT »

I'm sure this makes me look like a total loser, but I'm so sick of how college football is basically four or five teams and then everyone else.  Alabama is now just like this behemoth robot corp of domination and there just is nothing possible to enjoy about their continual ride.  It makes college football dull to me.  Like I said, I know this is sour grapes but I'm so sick of it.  I wish there was more parity.  I still love my Vols but overall, but college football is not as interesting to me as it used to be and it's because there is not a level playing field.  I don't know that there ever was, but it's worse now.  Saban gets the pick of everything and the rest of the nation just sits back and waits.  Yawn.

There were multiple stories out this week on Mark Emmert, president of the NCAA, and how he is close to Saban having been the LSU Chancellor from 2000 to 2004 when Saban was there.

Frankly, this explains to me how...among many, many other things...a 2013 bammer recruit can literally wave handfuls of cash around on twitter and get away with it.

I have said this a million times...so I probably need to give it a rest, but anyone looking at the bammer recruiting rankings can't help be struck by just how unusual it is.  They have not just out-recruited  naturally advantaged recruiting programs like Utex, USC and Fl, but have done so by a HISTORICALLY WIDE MARGIN. An UNBELIEVABLE margin.

And saban is a complete deuche personality wise and tuskalooser is a shizzle hole.

Make no mistake, they are cheating their asses off and getting away with it.

Maybe they will finally get busted or not...but this is why its so boring!  Emmert is a saban fanboy.....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 02:41:18 EDT »

Alabama is probably the most dominant team in college football in my lifetime (though I'm not convinced they're very far ahead of where USC was in the early '00s). But from top to bottom I actually think there's far more parity in college football today than there has ever been, and it has made it more exciting. Up and down the list — Baylor, Stanford, Fresno State, UCF, Northern Illinois, all ranked. That's a far cry from when it was only the Nebraskas, Michigans, Notre Dames, Tennessees and Alabamas of the college football world that were in the polls week-in and week-out.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 02:54:54 EDT »

I have said this a million times...so I probably need to give it a rest
I agree, it's time for you to give it a rest. Thanks for doing so.

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 08:33:43 EDT »

I agree, it's time for you to give it a rest. Thanks for doing so.

Maybe when hell freezes over...in the meantime saban, the crimson tide, their inbred trailer trash redneck illetrate horde of fans and the entire state of bammer can go fizzle itself.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 02:00:14 EDT »

I chalk up Bama's dominance to the following.
1) Saban is a perfectionist.
2) Some of the best coaches are at lesser programs.
3) A number of traditional powers have had poor coaches the preceding five years.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BammerFan
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 02:28:23 EDT »

It wasn't much fun for us Bama fans either during the late 90s and early 2000s. 

One question: I must have missed something in the lead up to the game. Did your coarch really call us "The Red Team?"  We prefer Dark Overlords, Crimson Menace, Bammers, or Gumps.

Come off the ledge, things will get better. We have no QB currently on campus that gives me a warm and fuzzy...so whatever run we have going will probably take a vacation until we find a serviceable QB and develop him. Blake Sims certainly isn't the answer, and the fact nobody can unseat him from #2 doesn't bode well.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 04:09:16 EDT »

I personally think the "red team" thing was dumb.  Imo you don't rekindle rivalries by manufacuring cutsie sayings, you do it by winning.  THEN you can call them whatever you want.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 05:39:01 EDT »

It wasn't much fun for us Bama fans either during the late 90s and early 2000s. 

One question: I must have missed something in the lead up to the game. Did your coarch really call us "The Red Team?"  We prefer Dark Overlords, Crimson Menace, Bammers, or Gumps.

Come off the ledge, things will get better. We have no QB currently on campus that gives me a warm and fuzzy...so whatever run we have going will probably take a vacation until we find a serviceable QB and develop him. Blake Sims certainly isn't the answer, and the fact nobody can unseat him from #2 doesn't bode well.

It wasn't meant as a slight, although obviously that's how it was taken.  It was meant as a motivational tool for OUR players, to remove the aura of invincibility that comes with the mention of the word "Alabama".

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 06:36:04 EDT »

It wasn't meant as a slight, although obviously that's how it was taken.  It was meant as a motivational tool for OUR players, to remove the aura of invincibility that comes with the mention of the word "Alabama".

Yes, and personally I saw nothing wrong with it.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 07:02:19 EDT »

Exactly. "red team" = just another opponent.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 07:05:06 EDT »

And if McCarron was really offended by it, then frankly he should invest in a case of this stuff.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 12:23:03 EDT »

And if McCarron was really offended by it, then frankly he should invest in a case of this stuff.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 12:44:52 EDT »

AJ McCarron, last monday, regarding the UT game:

"Just another school. I don't think about them any more than I do anybody else," McCarron said. "Just another week, another game. That's the way we need to prepare for it."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/10/aj_mccarron_not_buying_tenness.html

AJ McCarron, after the game last night:

I never really say anything about the other team, but I kinda took this personal," McCarron said. "I felt disrespected. To say we don't deserve the respect of calling us Alabama and calling us 'red team' and for their head coach to come out and say they can play against anybody.

"I don't think we're just anybody. We won two national championships in a row and we're undefeated right now. So we're not just anybody."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/10/aj_mccarron_offended_by_tennes.html

I get it.  So mighty bammer is allowed to take the "just another game" approach, but when an opponent does the same thing, it's an affront equivilant to not prostrating yourself before the statue of the Dear Leader in Pyongyang. 

I get really sick of any athletes crying about not getting any respect, but ESPECIALLY those in bammer's position.  You've been #1 in recruiting every year as far back as I can remember, and you've won 3 of the past 4 NCs.  Do your really think that anyone doesn't respect you?

If you want to take the "red team" comments to heart and use them as personal motivation, have at it.  But when you constantly cry about it in the media, it just makes you sound like a whiney little bitch.  Grow up. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 02:03:41 EDT »

"Just another school. I don't think about them any more than I do anybody else," McCarron said. "Just another week, another game. That's the way we need to prepare for it."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/10/aj_mccarron_not_buying_tenness.html

I never really say anything about the other team, but I kinda took this personal," McCarron said. "I felt disrespected. To say we don't deserve the respect of calling us Alabama and calling us 'red team' and for their head coach to come out and say they can play against anybody.

"I don't think we're just anybody. We won two national championships in a row and we're undefeated right now. So we're not just anybody."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/10/aj_mccarron_offended_by_tennes.html

I get it.  So mighty bammer is allowed to take the "just another game" approach, but when an opponent does the same thing, it's an affront equivilant to not prostrating yourself before the statue of the Dear Leader in Pyongyang. 

I get really sick of any athletes crying about not getting any respect, but ESPECIALLY those in bammer's position.  You've been #1 in recruiting every year as far back as I can remember, and you've won 3 of the past 4 NCs.  Do your really think that anyone doesn't respect you?

If you want to take the "red team" comments to heart and use them as personal motivation, have at it.  But when you constantly cry about it in the media, it just makes you sound like a whiney little bitch.  Grow up. 

This is my point...say one thing early in the week, another after the game is safely put away.

And to complain about lack of respect as if "how dare they"....words just can't express my contempt for that attitude.   

But it reflects the mentality of the entire fanbase...bammer football is obviously the most important thing in life, so how dare anyone disrespect it? 

I'll tell you what...I feel better about beating them...maybe year maybe not next year... but "soon", than at any point in time since the second week of October 2007.   We are finally out of the valley.   

BammerFan
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 02:41:05 EDT »

I guess my joke about what we'd rather be called was missed somewhere in the translation...
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 02:35:55 EDT »

ROW TAHD!!!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 03:59:01 EDT »

I guess my joke about what we'd rather be called was missed somewhere in the translation...

I always call you bammers...so what's your beef?   

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 05:10:35 EDT »

We can still hope lsu or Auburn gets them and knocks them out. 

Yes....we can.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
BammerFan
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 06:57:26 EDT »

Yes....we can.

Obama, is that you? 
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 08:30:50 EDT »

Obama, is that you? 

Hope and change, brother.  Hope we can kick y'alls ass all over our field come 11/30 and change your path from MNC to great New Year's Day bowl 

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 02:08:34 EDT »

No, I got it.  My post was aimed at your players, not you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: