VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 06:04:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saw Lone Survivor Thursday Night, My take on it.........................  (Read 4152 times)
PanhandleVol
All-American

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:39:04 EST »

In my honest opinion Marcus Luttrell got it right and Peter Berg did a masterful job of putting on the big screen. Actually I don't know how they kept from killing the actors or stuntmen in this film. I just about could not keep watching at points because the body shots these guys took. If you have HBO watch "The making of Lone Survivor". Peter Berg even comments jokingly (paraphrasing): "I'll kill some stuntmen, we will get it right". I think that is what I got from this story. I have read the book twice listened to Marcus in person (Pensacola NAS, Naval Aviation Museum) & that truely is what Marcus wanted. He wanted his friends remembered. This may sound funny, but I think it's a story of about real friendship, love and brotherhood. I remember hearing Luttrell answer an audience question about the quote you hear so often with this film "You are never out of the fight". Marcus said he would hope people could take away that part of the film and apply it to their own lives. I think that is probably the greatest thing to take from this film. Get into the fight. That could apply in many ways. Go see it if only to honor the memory of the many lost in this operation. For me it is much more than a war movie and yes it is a movie and certain things are edited and compressed. Don't get in the weeds over it if you read the book and do some research you will find that was admittedly done and it is done well.         
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:39:44 EST »

I saw it opening day and I had trouble getting into it because I kept recalling the book, that and the fact that the scenery appeared more like the Rockies than the Hindu Kush. I'm anxious to see it again on DVD and see if I can filter out most of my issues better. I really appreciated the tribute at the end...I know Marcus did. If anyone hasn't read the book, do it....it's unbelievable what they went through and the courage of Gulab in the face of the real prospect of his entire village being annihilated.   
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:04:25 EST »

.........the fact that the scenery appeared more like the Rockies than the Hindu Kush.....

It looked to me like it was filmed around FT Carson, but even so, the terrain is incredible similar to eastern Afghanistan. There were a couple of shots that made me believe that is WAS filmed in Afghanistan. The dense forest areas of the Dewegal and Korengal valleys look remarkable similar

it's unbelievable what they went through and the courage of Gulab in the face of the real prospect of his entire village being annihilated.   

the Poshtunwali Code is incredible. If you are accepted as their guest, the will give to you what ever they have and will protect you with their life. We know nothing of hospitality in comparison.

11B4PJ3F7
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 06:45:15 EST »

It looked to me like it was filmed around FT Carson, but even so, the terrain is incredible similar to eastern Afghanistan. There were a couple of shots that made me believe that is WAS filmed in Afghanistan. The dense forest areas of the Dewegal and Korengal valleys look remarkable similar 

Obviously you'd know better than me, I was judging it based on the description given in the book where Marcus said when they saw the lack of vegatation they all had a bad feeling because concealment was going to be difficult.

the Poshtunwali Code is incredible. If you are accepted as their guest, the will give to you what ever they have and will protect you with their life. We know nothing of hospitality in comparison.

I appreciated getting to see Gulab and Marcus together at the end of the film. I despised the lack of respect the bad guys had for Gulab practicing his faith.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: