VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 12:49:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Observations from Spring game  (Read 2931 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2014, 06:13:07 EDT »

and yes I know it's just a spring game...

* QBs. Hard to judge because I wasn't sure what guys they were going up against. However...
- Worley looks better in terms of arm and decision making.
- Dobbs seems to have a live arm, and he has good running skills. He looked a lot improved
- Ferguson does have a nice release, but holds on to the ball too long
- Peterman looked ok

* WRs - Team's going to be deep here. Malone is a complete stud, and he has speed. Him, Pearson, North, Croom, and Josh Smith are going to round out a nice lineup. I am impressed with Josh Smith.

* RBs. Hurd is huge, and has nice quickness and is hard to tackle. We have a nice 1-2 punch, but who will be the third guy? Pickett looked good on that screen pass. Young looked good in the role they have for him

* TEs - young guys looked good, both are athletic and are going to be threats in the passing game.

* Defense - Hmmmmm... I hope we get some help from the newcomers.   
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:47:23 EDT »

It's the offseason (ugh), so I pose the following question.

Did yesterday's performances change any opinions on the QB derby?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:00:31 EDT »

I am more optimistic on QBs regardless if it is Worley, Ferguson, or Dobbs - Worley and Dobbs looked much improved to me in terms of tempo and making decisions
I think this offense will score points.

We need help on defense, especially in the secondary. Our SS play is bad

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:22:13 EDT »

Tackling better take a quantum leap!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:03:07 EDT »

Tackling better take a quantum leap!

My gosh....on several plays I saw it looked like touch football. Uncalled for and I don't care if you're a 3rd stringer or dirt chunker.
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:37:28 EDT »

You really can't put a lot on the spring game, its designed to entertain fans and to see how certain combinations work. Having said that though if I had to pick a starting QB right now it'd be Worley he looked really good out there. WR's looked really good, Malone is going to be a stud for the Vols. Hurd will not be taken down by arm tackles nor will he be brought down by one man. Keep him healthy and it's untelling how far he can go. Lane looked good as well.
Defense needs to learn how to tackle. That long run that Dobbs had for a TD was witness to pathetic tackling.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:39:24 EDT by Screaming Eagle Dad » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 04:35:43 EDT »

You really can't put a lot on the spring game, its designed to entertain fans and to see how certain combinations work. Having said that though if I had to pick a starting QB right now it'd be Worley he looked really good out there. WR's looked really good, Malone is going to be a stud for the Vols. Hurd will not be taken down by arm tackles nor will he be brought down by one man. Keep him healthy and it's untelling how far he can go. Lane looked good as well.
Defense needs to learn how to tackle. That long run that Dobbs had for a TD was witness to pathetic tackling.  

I'm glad that Worley looked good.  I think going in, he is our best option for this year.  The others can continue to develop behind him. 

Whatever else anyone thinks about him, it just seems to me that we were generally much better last year with him at the helm, based purely on results.  It seems our best games were with Worley.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 06:05:10 EDT »

I'm glad that Worley looked good.  I think going in, he is our best option for this year.  The others can continue to develop behind him. 

Whatever else anyone thinks about him, it just seems to me that we were generally much better last year with him at the helm, based purely on results.  It seems our best games were with Worley.

Agree.....I thought a light came on for Worley in the UGA game and Butch opened up his offense much more in that game. I remember watching and wondering where those plays came from. Same with the USCe game and then in fine UT luck of the past several years Worley gets hurt and it was downhill from there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: