VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 06:09:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great move by Martin, really  (Read 3625 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:13 EDT »

You know he had to be looking at the roster next year, and realizing that he would not have the options next year that he had now.

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:39:35 EDT »

It was a no-brainer for Martin. In 12 months he would have been fired, and his stock would have been dramatically lower than it was right now. He would've wound up back in the mid-major ranks or as an assistant somewhere. He would've taken a job at any major that offered it, I'm convinced of that.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:46:52 EDT »

Consider he went to Cal, which is a horrible program with low expectations

Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:11 EDT »

Consider he went to Cal, which is a horrible program with low expectations

Don't they have a natty?  (Yes, in 1959 under Pete Newell (which was an awesome year for other reasons  )  And when Jason Kidd was there they beat Dook in the second round of the NCAA tournament in 1993.  Pretty decent resume right there.   
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:09:11 EDT »

Does anyone think it's significant that there was never any real information coming out about a new contract? I mean-- it's been weeks now since the NCAAT and the Marquette thing. If Hart wanted to lock Cuonzo in with a larger contract, don't you think that would have been happening?

Makes me wonder if the conversations with Hart were along the lines of:

Martin: No Marquette offer. Staying.

Hart: Still looking for another job?

Martin: Yep.

Hart: Good.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 10:13:45 EDT »

Does anyone think it's significant that there was never any real information coming out about a new contract? I mean-- it's been weeks now since the NCAAT and the Marquette thing. If Hart wanted to lock Cuonzo in with a larger contract, don't you think that would have been happening?

Makes me wonder if the conversations with Hart were along the lines of:

Martin: No Marquette offer. Staying.

Hart: Still looking for another job?

Martin: Yep.

Hart: Good.

I made the same point earlier today. At the press conference, however, Hart said that he had offered Martin a $500k raise and 2-yr extension. For whatever that's worth...
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 10:17:13 EDT »

I made the same point earlier today. At the press conference, however, Hart said that he had offered Martin a $500k raise and 2-yr extension. For whatever that's worth...

Sorry, I was out of pocket for awhile-- I see your post now and agree. I have to think that Hart was going to pony up if he had to-- because he couldn't justify firing him nor failing to extend him-- but that this is exactly what Hart had hoped for. He now has the opportunity to hire a new basketball coach with cash flowing his way. Perfect.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:42:02 EDT »

Lol'd at this tweet:

"Hammy's last coach is gone and the Henley Street Bridge is back. The curse is over."
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:41:32 EDT »

Sorry, I was out of pocket for awhile-- I see your post now and agree. I have to think that Hart was going to pony up if he had to-- because he couldn't justify firing him nor failing to extend him-- but that this is exactly what Hart had hoped for. He now has the opportunity to hire a new basketball coach with cash flowing his way. Perfect.

I think Hart wanted to keep him, but realized that it was in Cuonzo's interest to move on. 

If he offered a half million increase on top of a 1.3 million salary, that's a pretty significant raise.  I will take a 40% raise any time I can get it!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 12:36:09 EDT »

I appreciate what Martin did here and wish him the best. It's a great move on his part. Houston Nutt (and many others) have done the same thing. Move while you're hot.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: