VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 11:25:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Data coming Out  (Read 5032 times)
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:46:09 EDT »

Apparently Martin's agent told Cuonzo to not sign the extension until the buyout was reduced below 750K.  Apparently Hart was doing his level best ot mkae sure Martin recompensed UT if he bolted in the next two years.  Cuonzo was worried about the buyout to the extreme and this is evident in Hart's statements as well......

Martin was gonna bolt no matter what and the "its all the fans fault" BS is purely smokescreen by the spinmeisters that Martin is talking to.  Yeah the Pearl petition was a distraction, but unlike midtnvol I think you have to have on the court success as well as running a clean program and selling the program as well.  Pearl did get that, Martin apparently was Derek Dooley times 2 in that he went days during the offseason not talking to his STAFF.  Not only the AD but his STAFF.  So if that is the case I think Martin thought he was another Gene Keady!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:17:41 EDT »

Apparently Martin's agent told Cuonzo to not sign the extension until the buyout was reduced below 750K.  Apparently Hart was doing his level best ot mkae sure Martin recompensed UT if he bolted in the next two years.  Cuonzo was worried about the buyout to the extreme and this is evident in Hart's statements as well......

Martin was gonna bolt no matter what and the "its all the fans fault" BS is purely smokescreen by the spinmeisters that Martin is talking to.  Yeah the Pearl petition was a distraction, but unlike midtnvol I think you have to have on the court success as well as running a clean program and selling the program as well.  Pearl did get that, Martin apparently was Derek Dooley times 2 in that he went days during the offseason not talking to his STAFF.  Not only the AD but his STAFF.  So if that is the case I think Martin thought he was another Gene Keady!!!

Oh come on.  How could the petition NOT be a factor?  Are you seriously claiming that?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:25:03 EDT »

Oh come on.  How could the petition NOT be a factor?  Are you seriously claiming that?
if it was, the little boy needs to go back to a little school.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 04:36:17 EDT »

if it was, the little boy needs to go back to a little school.

What about the players?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/04/15/cuonzo-martin-california-bears-tennessee/7740323/

Tennessee players said they heard all the criticism and the chatter from the "bring back Pearl" movement.

Senior guard Jordan McRae tweeted: "Can't treat people any kind of way and expect good in return.​" Senior forward Jeronne Maymon tweeted: "Not even surprised... It was just a matter of time! #RESPECT"

In the scale of things, I will give more weight to what those two say than any amount of fans.

And anyone having a problem with this statement:

Despite the recent success, Martin's tenure at Tennessee was marked by criticism and dissatisfaction from many in the fan base.

Is not dealing in reality, because it's a simple statement of fact.  Or do you or anyone disagree?  Was there criticism and dissatisfaction with Martin?  On the other hand, there isn't any criticism of fans in this statement.  Some fans might read that in I suppose.  I won't speculate "why" they would take the above as a criticism, but I could.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 04:43:00 EDT »

Fans are critical and demanding. If this is problem enough for Cuonzo that he has to leave his job, then he doesn't need to be coaching at the highest levels because he doesn't have the stomach for it.

I think it was more about Hart having no confidence in him than it was the fans. I'm also not convinced Cuonzo was ever enamored with being here in the first place.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:49:58 EDT »

Fans are critical and demanding. If this is problem enough for Cuonzo that he has to leave his job, then he doesn't need to be coaching at the highest levels because he doesn't have the stomach for it.

I think it was more about Hart having no confidence in him than it was the fans. I'm also not convinced Cuonzo was ever enamored with being here in the first place.

Yes.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 04:52:34 EDT »

Criticism is part of the job, no doubt.

Signing a petition to bring back Pearl during the season....not so much.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 05:17:16 EDT »

I'm also not convinced Cuonzo was ever enamored with being here in the first place.

I believe this to be the most accurate point in the entire situation.  It's my belief that Cuonzo took the UT job because of the substantial pay increase (in the neighborhood of $1 million per year more than he was being paid at Mizzou State) and only because of the pay increase.  I haven't seen/heard anything to make be believe that he had any intentions of being here long term.  It was a payday and a stepping stone from the get go. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 06:24:43 EDT »

Criticism is part of the job, no doubt.

Signing a petition to bring back Pearl during the season....not so much.

I didn't necessarily agree with the petition (didn't sign it).  Mainly because I thought it was silly, not necessarily because "we shouldn't do that to Cuonzo".  That being said, I understood it.  You gotta admit, the Pearl and Tennessee situation couldn't be more unique.  Heck, I'm still heartbroken he's not at TN anymore.  He's a passionate guy and he brought out a fiery passion in our fan base.  The petition didn't surprise me a bit.  And like I said, I didn't really agree with it, I understood it.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 06:53:17 EDT »

Exactly

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:54 EDT »

The petition was a factor for sure, but not the only one - and in the end, I think both parties got what they want

EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 10:43:02 EDT »

Bandit better check your stuff man Martin said today on a radio program that the Petition was not a factor and he thought that leaving UT for Cal was a matter of a better fit for him and his family.  One of the things not reported is that Mama Martin was not super happy in Knoxville.

Also Martin reiterated that he respects the passion of the fan base in Knoxville and for UT and that he wants a passionate fan base since it is better to have passionate fans than to have people the dont care. 

EmerilVOL

EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 10:45:00 EDT »

Lets just say Mama Martin was totally sold on Knoxville in lots of respects.....will tell you a story sometime that a friend told me (and he was at the restaurant when it happened)

EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 06:42:26 EDT »

Bandit better check your stuff man Martin said today on a radio program that the Petition was not a factor and he thought that leaving UT for Cal was a matter of a better fit for him and his family.  One of the things not reported is that Mama Martin was not super happy in Knoxville.

Also Martin reiterated that he respects the passion of the fan base in Knoxville and for UT and that he wants a passionate fan base since it is better to have passionate fans than to have people the dont care.  

He said that in the article I linked also. Read what the players tweeted again...they sure were not happy and I am pretty he wasn't also happy with the criticism IMO.  

Yes, criticism is expected, but what he faced IMO went beyond normal expectations.  What it boils down to is that Pearl is practically impossible to replace in terms of what he did at UT.

Pearl is at Auburn and his unpopular successor is gone.  Time for everyone to move on.  Probably for the best.  But the odds are ...IMO astronomical....  that Martin wasn't happy with the way he was treated.

It's no big deal though.

I guess I do find some irony in that some fans who said Martin needed to "man up" are the same ones complaining about the media coverage of his departure that mentions criticism by fans.  Pot, kettle, don't dish it out if you can't take it, etc.  

Now that is some funny shizzle.   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:45:08 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: